Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the sheer number of miniatures games on Kickstarter these days and I'm trying to do decide which are worth supporting. I could probably afford to back all of them, but probably would not have time to actually play all of them. This project looks nice and appears to be pretty far along in production.

My questions, for anyone who's been following it closely: are there any obvious red flags with this game? Anything that looks particularly exciting about it? Basically I'm just looking for opinions from anyone more informed than myself. Am I missing out on anything if I just get the core game and not the deluxe edition? Why does the deluxe edition come with paper record sheets if the core game does not?

Thanks, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
I am also curious about it and would like to know the same answers to the questions you asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a full-on backer. One of everything. It was pricey. What put me over the top was Undead Viking's review. The particular setting - a fantasy eastern-Europe-type place, with a feel of The Witcher - already appealed to me. Undead Viking basically said "This game feels like a REAL RPG boardgame fusion".

The red flag for me so far is that the game company seems to have their other games in a higher priority than this one, and things keep getting delayed. If they hit this game right it's going to be awesome, and if they hit it wrong, it's going to be a dud. On the other hand, as far as I know, they are allowing full refunds for anyone who wants to cancel their payments -- as long as they are doing that, things can't be all bad.

The exciting part of this game for me is that it seems to be a lot like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure (with a plot/event book), a cool fighting mechanic, along with boss fights, a gorgeous map and a good setting. And if you die, you keep playing as a ghost until your group can revive you! The ghost game is slightly different, too, which seems interesting.

I think a safer bet on this game is to just get the core game and if it's good, get the rest later. I sort of over-indulged because after following the Kickstarter (and not backing), the game seemed like something that the boardgame/RPG crowd has been waiting for, for a long time.

Others who know even more than me are sure to come along. Hopefully someone who actually played a demo at a convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the biggest red flag is the traditional delay all Kickstarters seem to suffer from. October 2016 was the advertised delivery date and now it looks like Q1 2017. So at this point, no big deal if you want to preorder, your wait should not be long.

The biggest attraction is the theme, imo. A unique yet classic take on traditional old school horror tales with a twist. How it plays is kinda unknown beyond what we are being told, so I can't really say gameplay is going to be great but the options for characters along with the miniatures, the look of the components combined with the heavy theme has me hoping my backing will be justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few updates they have been showcasing the final artwork for the game and it is stellar! Really nice work. The theme is very cool and I like the adventure aspect of the game (sort of a choose your own adventure story). Definitely have a look over the last four or five updates to see what they have been doing.

As for the different levels of the game to order (I'm an all in pledge as well), if you just go for the base game set, you still get the minis and all the stretch goals. You would not receive the ghost models (which I think are pretty nifty). In the game, when a player's character is KIA, you are replaced by a ghost until such time as your companions can bring you back to the world of the living. While the ghost minis are not an absolute necessity, they will be a neat reminder of what has transpired in your game.

If you do decide to stick with the base game and then pick up a few add-ons, I would certainly recommend the ones that add additional content first. There are three different card sets (Seasons, Recipes, Dark Artifacts). You should also look at the Terrain set, while mainly cosmetic, it does come with a new monster mini as well. Lastly, I believe the Colossal Dark Oak mini is a Kickstarter Exclusive figure.

Bottom line, for me it is the Gothic Fantasy Horror Adventure that hooked me, the cool looking miniatures and great art that had me go for the all in pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
See, that art change is one of the big red flags for me that's making me consider dropping my pledge. It is "prettier" but it seems less functional to me. Usability above art. And the fact that they're making those changes this late in the process... (*sigh*) The designers were great at GenCon and I was looking at keeping my pledge - until I got back and saw the updates again. I know I'm in a minority but the publisher seems to be meddling too much in the creation of the game.

So here I sit pondering, probably until they make the last call before close of the pledge manager. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments!

I saw the change in artwork, but liked the new version so that seemed like a positive to me.

What's the deal with the character/record sheets? They're only in the deluxe edition, so I guess they're optional... but how exactly does that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I recall they will be provided in the back of the rulebook to photocopy, and I believe they said the character sheets will be available to download from their website once the game launches. Getting a pad of pre-printed ones is nice, but unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod
msg tools
mbmb
I backed because the game seems to offer something different from a lot of other fantasy/dungeon crawler board games. While many games have claimed to be a "RPG boardgame", I think this looks to be the first one that actually will live up to that label. Most dungeon crawlers are purely combat based while the story elements in Folklore offer many choices and skill tests that you would find in a traditional tabletop RPG session. If you're intrigued, go in for the preorder since you'll get a good deal more campaign content(2 full campaigns and five other adventures with at least two scenarios each) than the retail version (one full campaign).

I've read the rules. I like them. It seems that you could easily create adventures with a GM without changing anything which leads me to believe that this truly will be a RPG/boardgame hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.