Popular Tags: [View All]
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I want to buy this game, but after looking at the 1st expansion's list of components I noticed it includes some tweaked cards for the base game (including 4 copies of a basic action card). So, I'd like to know if the last printings of the base game iclude them since I wouldn't be getting the expansion anytime soon.

In case of a negative answer, how could I "actualize" those cards in order to have the base game properly balanced?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I picked up my copy about a year ago or so and it had the updated cards already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you already have the tweaked cards, I highly recommend Lost Legion. It adds tons of extra content and Volkare, a cool opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone post a picture of those cards? My copy is 2 years old IIRC so I'm curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys meeple

One more thing: since what year/ printing do you think the base game includes the changed cards?

barinthus wrote:
Can someone post a picture of those cards? My copy is 2 years old IIRC so I'm curious

Oh, I'd like to see them too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Thanks guys meeple

One more thing: since what year/ printing do you think the base game includes the changed cards?

barinthus wrote:

Oh, I'd like to see them too!

I bought mage knight over a year ago and got the fixed cards, but I fully agree that Lost Legion takes the game to a higher level anyway, so regardless, GET IT!

I think this image shows the edited cards and tokens... didn't check every detail but here it is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely get Lost Legion anyway. Probably the best of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I have LL expansion

As for the picture thanks!!

Doh looks like I have old version :-/

If anybody's interested... new changes are italicized and old are bolded

Horn of Wrath in the picture is +5 siege attack but mine shows +6

Banner of Fear ultimate power is skipping block and damage assigning phases while new one says 3 enemies do not attack

Wings of Night - Play during combat, if entered combat with at least as many unspent move points as number of enemies u facing, skip block and assign damage phases; target enemy do not attack, may target additional enemies by paying 1 move point for second enemy, 2 MPs for third enemy etc

Altem Guardians - old: Block 8, enemy blocked loses swiftness. new: Block 8 and counts twice against attack with swiftness

Utem Guardsmen - Block 4, enemy blocked loses swiftness; block 4, counts twice against attack with swiftness

Cold Toughness - Ice Attack 2; Attack 2

Magic Talent - discard a card from hand, may play one spell card in the spells offer; similar but the discarded card color must match the spell card

In Need: Influence 2, additional influence 1 per wound card in hand or on an unit / influence 4, additional influence 2 per wound card in hand or on an unit ; Influence 3, addition influence per wound card in hand and/or on an unit / influence 5, additional influence 2 per wound card in hand or on an unit

Agility: (i'm not sure if theres any difference unless new card counts move points already spent?) Move 2, during combat you may spend move points left from the move phase as attack points 1 for 1 / Move 4. During combat, may spend move points left from the move phase as attack points 1 for 1 or 2 move points for 1 ranged attack; Move 2, during combat you may spend move points for attack points 1 for 1 / Move 4. During combat, may spend move points for attack points 1 for 1 or 2 move points for 1 ranged attack

Refreshing Walk: Move 2, Heal 1 / Move 4, Heal 2; Move 2, Heal 1, if played during combat, only Move 2 / Move 4, Heal 2, if played during combat, only Move 4 (I suppose this is to clarify because you are not supposed to be able to Heal during combat, correct?)

Blood Ritual - Take a wound and gain a red mana token plus one mana token of any color / take a wound, gain three mana tokens of any colors; take a wound, gain a red crystal and one token of any color / same plus may pay basic color mana to gain crystal of that color

I wonder is there a way to get those new cards other than buying a new box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold Toughness's stronger effect also changed.

The cards that clarify Move is because under the original rules, move cards could only be played during the Movement phase. Lost Legion revised the rules, so movement can be played at any time, although unspent movement points are lost between phases.

These new cards came with Lost Legion. Did you not get these cards when you got Lost Legion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Cold Toughness's stronger effect also changed.

The cards that clarify Move is because under the original rules, move cards could only be played during the Movement phase. Lost Legion revised the rules, so movement can be played at any time, although unspent movement points are lost between phases.

These new cards came with Lost Legion. Did you not get these cards when you got Lost Legion?

Doh I just took a glance. I knew they added few cards but I didn't realize they included updated cards. Will take a look!

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
barinthus wrote:
I wonder is there a way to get those new cards other than buying a new box?

Yes. Buying Lost Legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I'm not sure what the latest print is, but I own the 9th print (which was printed on 2016 and I think it's the latest) and it doesn't have the updated cards. It has the fixed site references cards, but the card abilities are still the old abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
I'm not sure what the latest print is, but I own the 9th print (which was printed on 2016 and I think it's the latest) and it doesn't have the updated cards. It has the fixed site references cards, but the card abilities are still the old abilities.

I think I misinterpreted various responses to this thread, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:
Yes. I picked up my copy about a year ago or so and it had the updated cards already.

I'm confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
solanthos wrote:

I'm confused...

I have the 2016 9th printing (purchased less than 2 months ago) and it doesn't have the updated cards. Looking at the photo of the cards that anaturalharmonic linked to in his post above, the updated cards have a symbol next to the card number (bottom right of card). My cards only have the numbers and no symbol - not cool. The tokens aren't updated either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mb
I think these cards only come with the Lost Legion expansion.
They were tweaked to be more balanced but mostly to be compatible with the expansion.
There was no real need to change them in the base game.

I may be wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong and can't find my cards that were left over, but i know that there were several I didn't have to replace when I got LL. And the LL guide even mentions that some of the cards were corrected in later print runs of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I'm 99% sure about it. My core game product-code is 739W012116, which if I understand correctly, means the game was printed on the 12.1.2016 (9th printing ). Its possible there was a 10th print I'm not aware of.

On that specific printing, the reference cards are indeed identical to the reference card that comes 'fixed' in Lost Legion. However, the action and spell cards are not.

The Lost legion has an updated game mechanism that being reflected on the new cards. I'm guessing that because the re-balanced card do not work with the core rulebook - Wizkids didn't bother to tweak the core rule book, and therefore didn't include the new cards.

To be more specific - this is taken from the rule book:

Quote:
These cards and tokens had various issues and the wrong text in
the firrst print run; they were corrected in later print runs. Adding
them to the expansion was the easiest way to get them to those
who had the first print run.

4 Spell Cards
Demolish/Disintegrate
Whirlwind/Tornado
Energy Flow/Energy Steal
Space Bending/Time Bending

3 site description cards
Monster Den/Spawning Grounds
Keep/Mage Tower
Ruins/City

1 Day Tactic card
Planning

3 white Enemy tokens
Amotep Gunners

Those - I didn't have to replace, a I already been fixed on the 9th print. However:

Quote:
With the introduction of new mechanics, cards and scenarios, several cards needed to be reworded and tweaked.
We also rebalanced some of the cards, based on your feedback
and the opinions of our most experienced testers.

2 Artifacts
Banner of Fear, Horn of Wrath

1 Spell card
Wings of Wind/Wings of Night

1 Basic Action card
Cold Toughness

5 Advanced Action cards
Agility, Refreshing Walk, Blood Rit-
ual, In Need, Magic Talent

2 Regular Unit Cards
Utem Guardsmen

3 Elite Unit cards
Altem Guardians

4 white Enemy tokens
Altem Mages, Altem Guardians

The above I had to replace, and they call come with the Lost Legion symbol on the card near the number. Hopefully it makes more sense now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:

Exactly as Maokai said above. Some of the updated cards are included in the later printings but there are still a few reworked cards that aren't(due to the mechanic changes/rebalances for the new scenarios introduced in LL). If you don't own LL there's not a big reason to go out of your way to "update" these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maokai wrote:
Hopefully it makes more sense now

Thanks thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.