Hide
11 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Brainstorming an idea... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wright
msg tools
My family's a crazed bunch of die-hard Chicago Cubs fans today (wow, what an amazing Series!), and I was wanting to do something fun to commemorate the win.

If you'll remember, several of us had come up with the idea of a "Sidekick" deck to supplement the heroes: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1364678/potential-custom-se.... I was hoping to make a "Sidekick" to reflect the Cubs--
[Image Deleted]

But I confess that I'm just too jazzed today to think straight (and I ain't gettin' any work done at all today), so I was wondering what kind of "come from behind" or "wait and then do something awesome" kind of support power we could give to this card -- does anyone have any inspired ideas? I mean, my first thought was "This card deals one villain target 108 projectile damage," but that seemed a smidge excessive...

Seriously, you don't even have to be a Cubs fan -- just what kind of fun mechanics would you use to express a longsuffering "Cinderella story" like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an inscrutable title!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
What an inscrutable title!

Well, now there's a word you don't hear every day...!

But which title is the "inscrutable" one? The title "Brainstorming an idea" or the title "World Champion Chicago Cubs"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The first would be inscrutable, the second abominable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Root for the Home Team
Power: Each player wearing Chicago Cubs clothing may either regain 1 hp or deal 1 target 2 projectile damage.

or maybe

Home Run
Power: A hero may deal 1 target 3 projectile damage. Each other hero target regains 1 hp.

or are you looking for something more like

Unlikely Comeback
If another hero would be incapacitated, that hero may instead destroy this card to restore their hero to full health.
(This last one is not a power, but is inspired by the comeback that the Cubs made in the last three games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
mastermind93 wrote:
Root for the Home Team
Power: Each player wearing Chicago Cubs clothing may either regain 1 hp or deal 1 target 2 projectile damage.

or maybe

Home Run
Power: A hero may deal 1 target 3 projectile damage. Each other hero target regains 1 hp.

or are you looking for something more like

Unlikely Comeback
If another hero would be incapacitated, that hero may instead destroy this card to restore their hero to full health.
(This last one is not a power, but is inspired by the comeback that the Cubs made in the last three games.)

Oh, now those are fun! The first one is awfully specific, but it's keeping with the "this is kinda just to celebrate the win" theme. The second one is basic, and I like it. But the third one is the kind of funky mechanic that really embodies the theme of the win itself. I dunno if I like the idea of a sidekick who does absolutely nothing until things get their darkest... but then again, that's very Cubbie-esque, when you think about it.

EDIT: I've got an idea -- why not do both?
[Image Deleted]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Sorry, guys -- a buddy of mine reminded me that MLB is very particular about the use of any of their logos, mascots, etc. (like, Disney-level particular). The Sentinels guys seem to think that it's fun to have fun with their art here, but baseball is a sport -- it's not about fun -- so I've removed the images out of respect for their stance on that.

It's a darned shame, but I do want to be ethical about that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like the ideas. I don't usually do this kind of thing.

It's a shame that someone would be super particular about using those images. I thought the image you had looked great. Oh, well. I still think it's a pretty neat idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RevKev2000 wrote:
baseball is a sport -- it's not about fun

I learned something today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
TakeWalker wrote:
RevKev2000 wrote:
baseball is a sport -- it's not about fun

I learned something today.

Thank you for appreciating the irony.

Yeah, it's fascinating to me that the most militantly intense of all of the copyright-protecting agencies are Major League Baseball and Walt Disney -- a sport and an industry built on children's cartoons. No fun in those legal departments at all...

So here's the completely legally inoffensive version of the card we came up with. Enjoy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should change the power name to something like "Sportsball Time" for maximum snark. :V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.