Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am still holding off to see a few reviews before pulling the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of demo plays at GenCon, probably not, and it doesn't look like FFG send out advance review copies either. It's officially releasing today, so expect reviews soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3 player game last night. Stark, Tyrell, and Lannister. It is a reskin of ccsmic encounter. I love CE, one of my favorites but with all the expansions that game has been really complicated. I loved it, if you love CE or have considered buying CE but like Game of thrones more than I say purchase this game. Some of the cards need a FAQ but knowing FFG they will fix that issue. Plus the game needs Greyjoy. Each faction has 25 cards. 5 unique characters for each family, so once you figure out the characters powers the Game moves quicker than Cosmic. The art is just still photos from the show, good photos but not art. The graphic design is great. The plastic crowns are cheap and i've struggled to stack them like the cosmic disks. Wish that they were unique faction crowns. Considered painting them to add to the pop; Spray painting them 5 other colors would be cool. There are 80 of them. Also its interesting to note that you can be eliminated from the game if all of your characters die, however that seems unlikely unless you play a longer than average game. However you will lose characters which causes those character cards to be useless. The rulebook wasn't great also. It was missing the usual Glossary that I've come to expect from FFG games like Manshions, xcom, and Rebellion. Those are my quick thoughts. I am planning on review the game very soon on my blog. With all that being said, I could get new comers to play this thanks to Game of Thrones and because Cosmic is a deeper strategy and needs 100's of plays to remember all the cards that exist for that game currently. I give it a solid 8 out of 10. Can't wait to play it more with 5 players. Texting my gaming group right now about playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
jbenz32 wrote:
Wish that they were unique faction crowns. Considered painting them to add to the pop; Spray painting them 5 other colors would be cool.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the crowns are identical because they do not "belong" to your house - you can gain power (crowns) from other houses. Painting them still makes sense, of course - when you have a character with crowns in a different colour, they will serve as a reminder that you "stole" them from another player.

jbenz32 wrote:
Also its interesting to note that you can be eliminated from the game if all of your characters die, however that seems unlikely unless you play a longer than average game.

I don't think "elimination" is the best word to describe it, as it would suggest that the game goes on without you - but instead, it ends immediately. And then...

Rulebook p. 8, "Winning the Game" section:
"When the game ends, the player who has the most influence on
other players’ influence boards wins the game. In the case of a tie,
the tied players share victory."

Which might lead to some interesting situations: most "influential" player tries to win by killing off the weakest one and everyone else tries to stop him by helping the weakling. I'm not sure if such situation is possible in Cosmic Encounter - not with the base rules, at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Perf wrote:
Which might lead to some interesting situations: most "influential" player tries to win by killing off the weakest one and everyone else tries to stop him by helping the weakling.

Oh, and not to mention the fact that when you are ahead in influence, you may try to win by getting yourself killed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh You guys are sick. I love it!

"Win or Die!" can now be changed to "Die and Win!"

(Maybe...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Perf wrote:
Which might lead to some interesting situations: most "influential" player tries to win by killing off the weakest one and everyone else tries to stop him by helping the weakling.

Oh, and not to mention the fact that when you are ahead in influence, you may try to win by getting yourself killed...

They should add a rule that you can't win if all 4 characters are killed.

Shared victory is also a bit weak, I think they should've added a tie-breaker on least hostile influence spread to your house and then possibly on most alive characters and/or most hostages taken. The Iron Throne can be for one only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
wspier wrote:

Well, your house leader is still alive (can't be killed).

There's no rule in Cosmic Encounter that says you can't win with all home worlds empty (no ships), either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
wspier wrote:

Well, your house leader is still alive (can't be killed).

There's no rule in Cosmic Encounter that says you can't win with all home worlds empty (no ships), either.

This is not CE. It just feels wrong thematically that you can win with all characters death (except for the one that can't die) and it feels wrong mechanically that you can just try to kill yourself to turn your first place into a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it fits pretty well with the show seeing as most of the game characters are dead at this point.

One option if you don't like that you can win by dying is that instead of putting interest on other leader cards you place it on the character card that you used for the challenge. If the character dies, the influence is returned. I think it would lengthen the game quite a bit but would also add another layer of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a reasonable house rule would be to withdraw one influence whenever one of your characters is killed. This would make it unlikely for a player to win after losing all of their characters.

It would also add more importance to preserving your characters and eliminating those of leading players. I get the impression that killing characters isn't that big of a deal, just like losing home colonies in CE is rarely that major.

But torturing might need to be adjusted to compensate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a five players game of it this weekend. I really like Cosmic but think it GoT is better though perhaps a bit more fiddly in some ways (the Hostages are great but a bit confusing at first). I'd give it an 8 out of 10 and I'm considering getting rid of Cosmic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 12 games, we have never had anyone get down to only having 2 characters left.

I think introducing the Night's Watch somehow, which sends influence back- and a neutral deck... would make this perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.