Subject: Respawning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did check to see if this has been covered but couldn't find.

In the case of the first scenario if the snake dies can you respawn him using the raven tile.

We played that you couldn't as it seemed a bit OP that the overlord could just keep respawning the snake over and over.

I presume that anything that is tracked on the turn maker with a health marker once is dead stays dead but just wanted to check.

The only other thing we were slightly confused about was the holy hand grenade(exploding orb) and how the manipulation cost for throwing and exploding onto another tile went?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jace_Ace wrote:
Did check to see if this has been covered but couldn't find.

In the case of the first scenario if the snake dies can you respawn him using the raven tile.

We played that you couldn't as it seemed a bit OP that the overlord could just keep respawning the snake over and over.

I presume that anything that is tracked on the turn maker with a health marker once is dead stays dead but just wanted to check.

The only other thing we were slightly confused about was the holy hand grenade(exploding orb) and how the manipulation cost for throwing and exploding onto another tile went?

Thanks

EDIT: My initial response was just wrong. Edited out the wrongness.

According to the rules, once all members of a unit (in this case there is only 1, the Giant Snake) are killed, you immediately turn the unit tile over (to the "bloody" side) and put it at the end of the river. From that point on, if you want to reinforce units for that enemy, you must pay the cost in reinforcement points to turn the tile over. Then you can pay the cost again to reinforce units for that tile. (Page 5 of the OL Rulebook)

So yes, you can bring the snake back, but you would have to pay its reinforcement cost twice to do it. EDIT: Which as Stephan notes below, you can't do because the snake doesn't have a reinforcement cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
According to the rules, once all members of a unit (in this case there is only 1, the Giant Snake) are killed, you immediately turn the unit tile over (to the "bloody" side) and put it at the end of the river. From that point on, you can no longer reinforce units for that enemy.

Not entirely: if you reinforce a "dead" tile, you resurrect that tile. HOWEVER, the Snake has no reinforcement cost (the little number in orange on its tile), and therefore cannot be resurrected.

aubaine wrote:
Now there are some scenarios (for example "Wrath of Anu") in which one of the special actions available is to turn a tile back from the bloody side to the normal side. But that's explicitly stated in the rules for that scenario.

Not according to page 5 of the OL book:

Quote:
If units are reinforced from a facedown tile, the tile is turned faceup.

See also page 7 of the OL book:

Quote:
If the Overlord activates a facedown tile, no units are activated, but the Overlord still moved the tile to the end of the River.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, to answer the other part of your question, throwing an object is considered a complex manipulation with a difficulty equal to the range that you are throwing. So if you are throwing the orb to a space 2 section away, then the difficulty is two. So you could spend 2 gems to get two dice (of whatever color it shows on that character's sheet) to see if you successfully throw it. If you succeed, it lands in that space and you roll two red dice against every enemy and friendly unit in that space.

If the throw fails, it lands somewhere inbetween, according to the number of successes you received. So if you got one success (and don't spend any gems to reroll) it would land 1 space away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry Stephan, I corrected myself. Also, I didn't realize the snake had no reinforcement cost. I guess that makes sense that it can't be reinforced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Powers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
aubaine wrote:
From that point on, if you want to reinforce units for that enemy, you must pay the cost in reinforcement points to turn the tile over. Then you can pay the cost again to reinforce units for that tile. (Page 5 of the OL Rulebook)

I don't see anything in the English Overlord's Book that says you have to pay reinforcement points to turn a face down tile back over, it just says "if units are reinforced from a facedown tile, that tile is turned faceup."

Was this another translation error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffersonpowers wrote:
I don't see anything in the English Overlord's Book that says you have to pay reinforcement points to turn a face down tile back over, it just says "if units are reinforced from a facedown tile, that tile is turned faceup."

That's splitting hairs:

- pay reinforcement points to turn a face down tile back over

implies "bring reinforcements [associated with a facedown tile] into play via reinforcement points".

So it's really saying:

- if units are reinforced [via paying reinforcement points] from a facedown tile, that tile is turned faceup

You can also activate a facedown tile to move it to the end of the river (without bringing reinforcement points into play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Powers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aubane seems to be saying that you have to pay just to turn the tile face up, then pay again to field a reinforcement, but the English rules don't appear to say that. Am I misinterpreting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffersonpowers wrote:
Aubane seems to be saying that you have to pay just to turn the tile face up, then pay again to field a reinforcement, but the English rules don't appear to say that. Am I misinterpreting?

i interpret it differently (caveat: i cannot read the native French, so have only the English to go by). The English translation in no way implies a secondary cost to turn a tile face-up:

Quote:
If units are reinforced from a facedown tile, the tile is turned faceup.

(OL book, page 5, top section)

i.e. a facedown tile is turned face-up as soon as at least 1 mini associated with the tile is returned to the board via reinforcements.

The OL has, however, the option of activating it (paying for it), without reinforcements, to simply move it to the end of the River.

The OL also has the option of removing 2 gems to permanently remove a facedown tile from the River (OL book, page 4, last paragraph).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Powers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I agree with your interpretation. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think Stephan is right (again!). I thought you would have to pay to flip it (mostly because it just made sense to me for there to be some kind of penalty to killing off an entire unit). But the RAW do not imply a cost to flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.