Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Before i open my copy i had some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
It seems every review I read is so polar opposite of every the review.
For this game even thou on its thire edition meaning it's been out for a while it sure does get a lot of grief. Seems some complain abut dracula not being powerful enough or the other way around .

Is it people expect to much out of the game or is it over thinking the game play . After reading reviews I kinda don't wanna open it lol. I know what expect I think but was wondering what you all had to say after reading this .

Our family enjoys playing specter ops we enjoy the whole vampire theme and we'll specter ops is all we have ever played when it comes to hidden movement games. Anyway just wondering shod I open it or not open it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Seems some complain abut dracula not being powerful enough or the other way around .

Which means the truth is somewhere in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
For this game even thou on its thire edition meaning it's been out for a while it sure does get a lot of grief. Seems some complain abut dracula not being powerful enough or the other way around .

Is it people expect to much out of the game or is it over thinking the game play . After reading reviews I kinda don't wanna open it lol. I know what expect I think but was wondering what you all had to say after reading this .

Our family enjoys playing specter ops we enjoy the whole vampire theme and we'll specter ops is all we have ever played when it comes to hidden movement games. Anyway just wondering shod I open it or not open it ?

If you're talking strictly to difficulty, I would say that inexperienced hunters make it much easier for Drac to win. The elements of luck in the events make it such that this is no guarantee, however. As such, I would start with the basic rules at first, and only introduce advanced rules one at a time if you start to see Dracula losing (all the advanced rules favor Dracula).

As to how good the game is compared to the others, my group has Spectre Ops and Fury of Dracula for hidden movement games. The whole group prefers Fury of Dracula. The reason is probably because it is heavier on theme, and we typically play about 3-4 hours a session, and Fury fits right into that timeframe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OhBollox wrote:
Quote:
Seems some complain abut dracula not being powerful enough or the other way around .

Which means the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Generally speaking, these are indicators of a balanced game. I myself haven't played nearly enough to be able to determine this, but the couple times I have played I feel this is the case. The one thing I've noticed so far is that it seems Dracula's turn goes very quickly, leading to much downtime for him. But more time to plan I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:

Do realize that "third edition" does not just mean "third printing" but actually a revamp (pardon the pun) of the previous edition. Rules and game mechanics have been changed entirely between all the editions. As such, this version of the game has only been around for about a year.

As others have said, since the claims of imbalance seem to be pretty evenly split, they can be taken as a sign that the game actually is rather balanced. Pretty much everyone agrees though that a group of inexperienced Hunter players may have a rough time of things, especially if the Dracula player is competent, and it is true that Dracula can attempt to run out the third week at sea in order to activate his Fury ability and that is hard to prevent.

In any case, I'd highly recommend opening it and giving it a chance. It is a very good game and if it ends up not being your particular cup of tea, you will likely be able to sell it off next year and get your money back, or possibly even more depending on demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOLed with the "revamp" thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream // Benny Carter - The King // Charles McPherson - Manhattan Nocturne // Art Pepper - Smack Up // Dudu Pukwana - In The Townships
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:

You'll soon have a thread with more of the same. Tastes vary wildly from person to person, which is to be expected. The point isn't that someone says something, it's who it is that says it and how their viewpoints coincide with your own.

I'd advise you to start building a geekbuddy list of people whose opinions you find useful, otherwise you'll run into this again and again.
I'd also advise you to do your research before acquiring the game, not after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you shouldn't do is open the box right before you are ready to play. If you take the plunge, spend some time familiarizing yourself with the rules (and the discussion on BGG). The first game works best if Dracula can also guide the group through the rules -- a secondary (sometimes primary!) task that helps make up for the downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
What you shouldn't do is open the box right before you are ready to play. If you take the plunge, spend some time familiarizing yourself with the rules (and the discussion on BGG). The first game works best if Dracula can also guide the group through the rules -- a secondary (sometimes primary!) task that helps make up for the downtime.

Randal's got a good point. It's okay for the hunters to be taught the rules on the fly, but it's a disaster if Dracula isn't comfortable with them before you begin. Reason is that if the hunters make a mistake, it's out in the open. If Drac makes a mistake, it's hidden and can't be corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.