Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Next expansion??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Alcala
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hello guys I have the base set of marvel legendary as well as the guardians and secret wars vol 1 expansions. What is a good expansion to follow with ? I'm planning on getting them one at a time, thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City unless you find Fantastic Four first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
In another time, forgotten space...
badge
Roll away, the dew...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City is essential, to me at least. Then I would get the rest of the small box expansions before the big ones. But yes, if you can find the FF at a reasonable rate, pick that up quick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dheyrdre Machado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhythmic wrote:

Is it worth even without the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dheyrdre wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:

Fantastic Four? Absolutely. All of my expansion boxes get chucked into a closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Alcala
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Whats the average price for the fantastic 4 expansion ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dheyrdre Machado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
dheyrdre wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:

Fantastic Four? Absolutely. All of my expansion boxes get chucked into a closet.

I purchased a friend's copy but he threw away all the small boxes, only ones left were the base game and Dark City, but I'm kinda a box freak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
Alcalarangel wrote:
Whats the average price for the fantastic 4 expansion ?

It's out of print and difficult to find at a reasonable price. If you run across it, consider it, but otherwise don't lose any sleep over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
dheyrdre wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:

It is a great set and if you can find it for an okay price, do it, box or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find myself enjoying the big box sets the most because they generally contain cards that can be used in many situations. It seems that the small box sets are kind of enclosed in their own microcosm. I would recommend getting the Dark City expansion next. Though the recommendation to grab the Fantastic Four is a good one, because it's not getting reprinted and will just get harder to get. Secret War Vol. 2 is really sweet too, but doesn't have a lot of big names for heroes in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcalarangel wrote:
What is a good expansion to follow with ? I'm planning on getting them one at a time, thanks in advance

Welcome to the Legendary BGG forums community, Luis!

This topic comes up frequently. The most prevalent recommendation (including by me) is get Dark City first.

After that, I recommend Paint the Town Red and/or Guardians of the Galaxy. Get whichever one has the heroes you like more first.

After those, I recommend that you just buy whichever expansions have the heroes you like the most.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It depends mostly on what you like, and what you're looking for. Do you like having your favorite heroes? Or are you looking for interesting card interactions? Intuitive keywords? Good art?

As for my opinion, here's a version of what I suggested elsewhere, along with some of the notable features of each kind of expansion set. If you'd like to see the complete list of Heroes and card text, check out this list.

Heroes base set: Best base set;
Villains base set: Out of all expansions, tied for best new mechanics, outright wins best "Masterminds".

Dark City: Best big box, all-around;
Secret Wars Vol. 1 Best new setup card deck (Sidekicks) and contains more Masterminds;
Secret Wars Vol. 2 Has Beast and more Masterminds;
Civil War: Has best new Henchmen in a long while. Also, has more Masterminds.

Fantastic Four: Best small box, all-around;
Paint the Town Red: Has best alternate 2-cost Hero (Symbiote Spider-Man), also adds Moon Knight (handy for Tech/Instinct triggers);
Guardians of the Galaxy: Adds artifacts, one of the best mechanics, but Heroes tend to be OP;
Fear Itself: Tied for best new mechanics;
Captain America: Best schemes;
Deadpool: It's funny? Excessive Violence and Revenge are pretty sweet mechanics, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.