Subject: how many mythos cards do you draw ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greenroxx
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
How many Mythos cards do you draw during a game ? For my opinion, it depends of the AO you play and the events fired by the extra boards and rules.

I look for improvements to my dilution tool this way. i m thinking to make a new algorythm, i need your feedback.

Can we consider the doom track as a good data source to determine a good average ? for example, an AO with 15 doom could draw for 15 to 20 mythos card... what do u think about that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with 25 cards and that usually works well (1 for starting turn, and 24 for the rest of the game). Take a look at these adaptations:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/144572/arkham-horror-vari...

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/126760/anti-shuffle-card-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was just about to indulge in a bit of self-promotion, but Wolfie got there first blush I did some work on card counts in an effort to maintain balance. Of course it means that it lacks some "spontaneity" in that distribution can be predictable - but it seems to work for that other game devil But overall it seems to work well enough for me. Glad that others at least take a look at my work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greenroxx
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
mccrispy, i really like your dilution tweak. i agree with your method... it s close to mine. i think 24 cards is a good number too. I interested to think about the rumor and environment cards as well.

I will see to include this into my tool for a v2.

At leat, my objective is to build an Android app. i start with excel as a draft to let us discuss about concerns.

Off course, i read all the dilution fix of all contributors, and will not forget to add them to credits if they enjoy the idea, in respect to their contribution to the fans ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This got me thinking, and I tried putting together a quick Excel that would calculate the number of cards in your Mythos deck depending on which expansions are in play -- did one tab with all Miskatonic cards added, and a 2nd tab without Miskatonic in the mix. Also, can change the number of cards you want to use, but defaulted to 24.

Play around with it and see what you think!
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ar9_fJKmnT2KhJo7jnNmOXHkl-6b_Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greenroxx
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I don't understand "Optional: Separate out the rumors from the base game and expansions in play, then shuffle in 2 randomly as part of the total deck count."

Why 2 rumours / 24 cards ? why did you think this ratio ?

also, why do you include the miskatonic mythos card in the Arkham deck ?

I like the idea of your sheet

Without Miskatonic, the KIY act cards are a problem in a 24 card deck.

I read somewhere you said the environment mythos card can be sorted out by AOs. It sounds very interesting. Do we have any database or contribution on this subject anywhere ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedGabber wrote:
I don't understand "Optional: Separate out the rumors from the base game and expansions in play, then shuffle in 2 randomly as part of the total deck count."

Why 2 rumours / 24 cards ? why did you think this ratio ?

In this case, I was just following mccrispy's lead from his variant: "I separate out the Rumour cards from the Expansions in play then shuffle them together and draw the correct number for the deck size (usually 2)." 1 rumor per 12 cards seems about right, but again, it's all completely optional. I suppose something similar could be done for Environments. For the record, we just use the card counts and take whatever comes up.

Quote:
also, why do you include the miskatonic mythos card in the Arkham deck ?

Do you have the Miskatonic expansion? When using this expansion, all the Miskatonic Mythos cards are added to the main Arkham deck, per the rules:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/4f/c7...

Basically, MH Mythos handle the dilution problem by adding Mythos cards that can have alternate effects if an expansion is in play -- it basically solves most of the dilution problem by taking into consideration the other expansions.

Quote:
Without Miskatonic, the KIY act cards are a problem in a 24 card deck.

It would be easy enough to adjust the formulas I suppose for the original game without Miskatonic, just would need to know what the calculations are to be adjusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.