Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Scott
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, everyone!

I played Vinhos 2016 last night for the first time. I had not played the original version before this. I have to say that the game was a lot of fun and I am very happy with the purchase! It was a 4-player game without any of the extra add-ons that took us about 2.5 hours.

After we finished playing, we did end up looking through the add-ons, now that we had an understand of the game. Some of them look neat, with none of them looking necessary, although the extra Experts comes close.

When we saw the connoisseur pack, we were a bit confused. The double-vineyards and double-wineries don't seem useful at first glance. I did a little bit of math and it seems like they aren't really useful in the 2016 edition. Is there something that I'm missing? Are they worth the lower price in Bagos for the wine quality you get? Would their uses be more apparent after more plays in regards to estate efficiency?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Walker
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Not having them in front of myself, I can't speak to the exact cost/quality ratio, but if they are indeed a little cheaper on average than buying two vineyards/wineries, that's pretty valuable in itself. Money is not the easiest to come by in this game, and it could be worth sacrificing a little wine quality to save a buck or two.

I have yet to play the 2016 Reserve yet, but the 2010 Reserve has a bonus scoring magnate spot for filling entire estates. I imagine there's an equivalent bonus tile in the 2016 reserve. The double vineyard and winery tiles could make it easier to score that bonus.

Which brings me to my other thought, which is that you don't get very many actions in this game, so if this helps you save an action, that could also be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are equivalent bonus tiles in the 2016 version for having a full estate.

I don't have them in front of me either, but I think it's basically an early bigger investment to yield better wine every turn, which can then yield more money from sales, points in the fair, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dexposure.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Double-size Cellar is an upgrade from normal, but cannot have a Tourist visit the cellar (only applies if the tourist expansion is included with this expansion).

The Double-sized Winery advantage has a cost of 1 Bagos and 1 action less for same price as 2 Wineries, the disadvantage is the winery can only have 1 Enologist.

The Double-size Vineyard is more complicated, you can only buy one if you already have 1 vineyard in an estate the doublesizer will go in (which means the estate will have no wineries). The D-S vineyard will save you 1 action to purchase but depending on which region you assign it too will determine how much you save (buying for Minho is no savings), also it can only host 1 farmer. Keep in mind that 3 normal vineyards can yield 6 value wine where 1 normal vineyard and 1 D-S vineyard can only yield 5. Another detail not mentioned anywhere I have seen, the 4 double-sized vineyards come in 2 reds and 2 whites. Are these suppose to be shuffled or only available for the first person that gets the color they want?

Edit:
rules card wrote:
This expansion can be used with both the 2010 reserve and the Special Vintage 2016. Except for Setup and the specifics of each tile, all rules remain unchanged. Each double-wide tile counts as one tile for scoring purpose, but can be used to complete an Estate with only two tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as I understand the (2016) rules you cannot buy 2 Vineyards from the same region in the same action. If this is correct, buying the double vineyard allows you to immediately get two red or two white vineyards in a single location on one turn...which is otherwise not possible if the aforementioned restriction is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Also, as I understand the (2016) rules you cannot buy 2 Vineyards from the same region in the same action.
You understand correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.