Subject: My first DIY Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Catacombs and really enjoyed it and liked the art of the 1st and 2nd edition game over the newer artwork. With that in mind I picked up a copy of the 2nd edition game with all of the available expansions. I focused on the main game box as well as the box for the Caverns of Soloth expansion.

I used 5mm foam core and put together an insert that will hold all of the cards and boards in the base game box. So far all of the discs are in the expansion box, eventually I will get around to making an insert for this box.

I learned that I should use a utility knife instead of X-acto knife, and change out the blades more often. Also some of my measurements and angles were a bit off, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out for my first insert.

I needed all the space I could get so the insert does not have a bottom. It has two different heights to allow the hero and catacomb lords fit in below the game boards.

This is the insert outside of the box.

This is the insert in the box with all of the room, item, spell, monster, money, and poison cards. The larger cards have all been sleeved.

This is with the catacomb lord and the hero cards on top of the lowered section.

And this is with all of the boards on top of everything. It is a pretty tight fit but once the lid is placed on it is all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good first effort! I've found bottomless inserts to be fun, especially when you insert flavor art on the bottom so that it 'shines through.'

Good observation on the knife -- I switched as well, as xActo doesn't quite work as well. I've also found if you make a series of lighter cuts (instead of one deep cut) you get much better results and your blades last a little better.

Great job! Tipped you a bit for a great insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I did make several shallow cuts rather than just dry to cut it all in one slice. I just stared noticing that my later cuts started to look pretty ragged. The only thing I worry about with the bottomless insert is that some of the cards may slide around a bit, especially since they are sleeved. I just figured that with the new artwork of the new edition if I liked this artwork I better sleeve the cards to keep them lasting longer. I don't normally sleeve a lot of games, but wow do sleeved cards eat up the box space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice first effort. I imagine building it bottomless made things much more challenging. For inserts where vertical space is at a premium, I've used simple poster board as a base. It's maybe 0.5mm thick, yet still gives enough support to make the insert a little sturdier & easier to assemble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that. Even without a bottom the last board is slightly above the lip of the box, but once the top is placed on there it seems to work okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.