Hide
11 Posts

Baseball Highlights: 2045» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hit & Run, Clutch, Coaches, and base runner movement speed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Oleson
msg tools
Okay, I've got a pretty good feel for this game but there are a few abilities and rules that I don't really understand.

1. I get how movement works with slow, average, and fast, but not sure WHEN. So for example, one card has Single, Triple, Fast. So does that mean once resolved, one hitter will move 2 spaces, and the other will actually be a home Run? How does speed effect many abilities, such as Clutch? I also notice some cars are double double single, or single triple, etc. When they move, is it resolve in the order printed on the card, or your choice?

2. Hit & run. I'm super confused on this one. "all base runners advance +1 base from hits on this card", and out has a double, double, single. So, does this mean pawn already on bases move 4 total? Or the first 2 move 3, the 3rd moves 2? I don't really understand this one at all.

3. Clutch. This also ignores pawn speed. My understanding is you place out the pawn on a hit, and then move them immediately. Any pawn that were already there move +1. Then, you place the new hitter as normal. Do I have that right?

4. Just on the coaches that "add 1 hitter to the hit boxes", does that work with cards that already have 3 hitters, giving you 4?

Clearing this up for me would be great, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
xzero1134 wrote:
Okay, I've got a pretty good feel for this game but there are a few abilities and rules that I don't really understand.

1. I get how movement works with slow, average, and fast, but not sure WHEN. So for example, one card has Single, Triple, Fast. So does that mean once resolved, one hitter will move 2 spaces, and the other will actually be a home Run?

No. Speed does not affect an initial hit, it only affects runners already on base. So in this case, the Single hit goes to first base, then the Triple hit sends the runner on first home and the Triple hit goes to third.

Quote:
How does speed effect many abilities, such as Clutch?

Speed is ignored for clutch, but all runners (i.e. already on base) go one base further than the hit. e.g. a runner on first would go to third on a clutch single.

Quote:
I also notice some cars are double double single, or single triple, etc. When they move, is it resolve in the order printed on the card, or your choice?

In the order on the card.

Quote:
2. Hit & run. I'm super confused on this one. "all base runners advance +1 base from hits on this card", and out has a double, double, single. So, does this mean pawn already on bases move 4 total? Or the first 2 move 3, the 3rd moves 2? I don't really understand this one at all.

For each hit, the base runners move one base further than they would otherwise. So, for example, a slow base runner goes from first to third on a hit and run single.

Quote:
3. Clutch. This also ignores pawn speed. My understanding is you place out the pawn on a hit, and then move them immediately. Any pawn that were already there move +1. Then, you place the new hitter as normal. Do I have that right?

Immediately resolve the clutch hit by moving the base runners the value of the hit +1 (2 bases for a clutch single, 3 bases for a clutch double). Then place the clutch hitter on base (first for a single, second for a double). Finally (after resolving the other player's threatened hits), place any threatened hits from the clutch card on the plate.

Quote:
4. Just on the coaches that "add 1 hitter to the hit boxes", does that work with cards that already have 3 hitters, giving you 4?

Sure.

Quote:
Clearing this up for me would be great, thank you!

Hope that helps. If you're struggling, you might consider downloading the iOS/Android app - it has a tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin as usual has these all correct!

Glad you're enjoying the game!

Play Ball!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Oleson
msg tools
Okay, so for hit and run, does the advance part happen as soon as I play the card, or not until the hits go? If it's hits, do the new base runners from the hits also get the +1 whatever movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xzero1134 wrote:
Okay, so for hit and run, does the advance part happen as soon as I play the card, or not until the hits go?

Not until the hits go.

Quote:
If it's hits, do the new base runners from the hits also get the +1 whatever movement?

Once the first hit is on base, that runner would get the bonus from subsequent hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Oleson
msg tools
What does Glove: cancel 1 hit (if robot check) mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xzero1134 wrote:
What does Glove: cancel 1 hit (if robot check) mean?

A check means you flip the top card of the free agent pile and see if it matches the type named (robot in this case). If it does, you get to cancel a hit; if not, you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Oleson
msg tools
My wife is still arguing with me over Clutch so I'm going to set the record strait.

So, scenario: slow on first and second, average on 3rd. However, since it' clutch, the colors don't really matter. The confusion is in clutch single and clutch double.

So if It's Clutch: Single, (with a single average runner) I would put a new pawn in the batter area, and then immediately move him 1. Now, the pawn all also get +1, so moving 2. This would result in the 3rd and 2nd base scoring, and having a pawn on 3rd and 1st. Then, I place 1 more pawn for the hit box on the bottom. Do I have that correct?

So if it's Clutch: Double, I would place a pawn and move him 2 spaces, to 2nd. All of my other base runners would actually get +3 movement. This would result in scoring 3 runs, and having a pawn on the 2nd base. Then, place the new pawn.

Do I have all that right?

Also, in general, do pawn push other pawns? as in if I have a slow on base 1 and play a home run, I'll score 2 runs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xzero1134 wrote:
So, scenario: slow on first and second, average on 3rd. However, since it' clutch, the colors don't really matter. The confusion is in clutch single and clutch double.

So if It's Clutch: Single, (with a single average runner) I would put a new pawn in the batter area, and then immediately move him 1. Now, the pawn all also get +1, so moving 2. This would result in the 3rd and 2nd base scoring, and having a pawn on 3rd and 1st. Then, I place 1 more pawn for the hit box on the bottom. Do I have that correct?

Everyone on base moves up one. New pawn (average runner is put on 1st). Then you put another batter in the box. And you resolve him next turn.

Only the runner on 3rd has scored.

xzero1134 wrote:

So if it's Clutch: Double, I would place a pawn and move him 2 spaces, to 2nd. All of my other base runners would actually get +3 movement. This would result in scoring 3 runs, and having a pawn on the 2nd base. Then, place the new pawn.

Everyone on base moves up two spots. A new pawn is put on second. Then another is batter is in the box, which you will resolve next turn.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd have scored.

xzero1134 wrote:

Also, in general, do pawn push other pawns? as in if I have a slow on base 1 and play a home run, I'll score 2 runs?

Yes you will score 2 runs, in this case. But I think this is a bad example.

They do not push each other...they, in fact, block.

If you have a slow on 2nd, and a fast on 1st....and then a single is resolved...the player on 2nd goes to 3rd, and the player on 1st can only go to 2nd (instead of 3rd, like he would normally be able to do)...cause the slow player is blocking him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
xzero1134 wrote:
My wife is still arguing with me over Clutch so I'm going to set the record strait.

Do I have all that right?

The bonus base effect on Clutch basically means you treat all baserunners as if they were Fast. Your end results are correct, but the order you're resolving them seems off. (See below)

xzero1134 wrote:

For hits, resolve them in reverse order (runner on 3rd, 2nd, 1st, then batter) and they do not push each other. A slow runner on 2nd will keep a fast runner on 1st from advancing to 3rd on a single.
For walks, resolve them starting with the batter, and push baserunners forward as necessary.
Home runs automatically score anyone as they advance 4 bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend that you always move the most advanced base runner first (for any base runner movement, from Hit Boxes or from Immediate Action Effects). This way, you can more easily determine when a runner will be blocked from advancing due to a slower base runner still on base in front of them.

Base Runners cannot be on the same base.
Base Runners cannot pass other Base Runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.