Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to confirm some interactions involving the initial colony rule unlocks only:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
First, Rule 2 notes that "Colonies offer no powers while inactive but the player". Is the colony's field considered a "power" that isn't available when inactive, or do you get the field's income even if the colony is not active? On the one hand, it seems as though the spirit of the activation rules is that you basically gain no benefit from the colony unless you activate it. On the other hand, step 3 in the winter sequence says "Players place gold from every field they control (equal to the gold shown) into their vault", and the player does control the colony, regardless of activation. On the (third?) hand, you can't raid an inactive island site, which supports the idea that the field effectively doesn't exist until it's activated.

Second, as of Rule 8, the (partial) winter sequence is:
3. Harvest
7. Activate Colonies
8. Colonies collect

It appears as though step 3 covers ALL fields (including colony fields), while step 8 is when you can choose a goods production or mine site to robengage in peaceful commerce, and that's done after activation. So, depending on the answer to the first question, this means that either:
a) If inactive fields can't be used, then you can't use a colony's fields during the first winter of the game, but can grab a good or skim mine profits if you activate.
b) If inactive fields CAN be used, then you can use a colony's field to help pay for the activation cost (in addition to the free good or mine money, with activation).

Third, is there any reason to believe that a field upgrade can't be applied to a colony field? The wording seems clear ("any region you control"); the only reason I ask is that it seems pretty strong to increase the field's yield from 2 gold to 6 (or more) in a single upgrade. Especially if you can use it before activation!)

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See here: Re: Question Concerning Rule #19 - SPOILERS! (We're to game 4)

And yes, you can upgrade fields on colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I missed that response. Need to spend some time updating the ol' FAQ, at least for stuff that's not a spoiler for my game (not easy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.