United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
This gives me a "The Thing" vibe. This is my favorite horror movie of all time, bar none. The practical effects still hold up and it is a fantastically fun movie. (I know there is a PnP The Thing game) I have not got to play the game yet so this isn't a review or anything, it is just the feeling I get from the rules. The head researcher is sending you out on a mission with one other person, are they an alien unbeknownst to you and they will be wondering the same thing. If you are an alien, do you try to infect them, exposing yourself and if so can you lie your way out of it if it doesn't go as you intended.

Unfortunately I rarely get 6 people together to game at any time, so getting seven is even more difficult but I will try over the next couple of months to get a session or two in. Fingers crossed because it looks like a fun experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wingert
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hey Reed,

You are 100% correct, Facility 342 does have many similarities with "The Thing". I love that movie and the whole concept of someone you trusted could be infected when your back is turned is very exciting.

Body snatchers is such an exciting and scary scenario. I hope when you play it you really get into it; when you play Facility 342 like a "role playing game" you get a lot more out of it.

Fun fact: The game was originally called Body Snatchers at Facility 342. But every new group that I tested the game with always laughed when I said that an alien can "snatch you". I could not find a group of adults who did't think the word snatch was a funny. I had to redo the instructions, being sure to not use the word "snatch". That is why the rules say "infected"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bahahahahahahahaha, if it had been "Snatched" I would have quoted Brad Pitt lines from the movie Snatch the whole time. "You like dags?" "Save your breath for cooling your porridge" I was thinking about the role playing on my way into work today, I will really have to get people into that because I know I will be thinking like MacReady, every time you get two people together you never know if one of them is infected. If they just walk into the room and roll a die mechanically, eh, but if I can get them jazzed up and paranoid it'll add to the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wingert
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
That paranoia is what makes the game exciting.
That is why it is more fun when people really get into it.

Unlike other hidden role games you don't really have to get into the world you are part of. Facility 342 is much more fun if people really get into the role of being a body snatcher and when you really try to not get infected (or snatched )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit the spacial aspect seemed weird at first, but as I was reading the manual I began to see how that adds tension. People coming back and accusing each other or possibly even worse if they don't. It all sounds neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to double post, but I'm going to. I showed the game to my GF, dad and nephew yesterday, explained the basics (it helped that we had watched The Thing a couple months ago, let Twitch punch the stuff out and let them handle the dice. I think they are in, now I need to find two more people (my mom will also join in because she can backstab people) to consign to the game. The more I think about the more I am excited to try it out. As long as I can get everyone to play it more as a horror/sci-fi RPG and less like a go into a room and roll a die the better it will be. My best friend is the sticking point, he tends to break games down into their mechanical aspects, he is not a gamer but a great friend for putting up with my obsessiveness. I'm going to make up a fake unused mechanism and let him roll slaughterball dice and pretend to record his results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wingert
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I am excited you got people interested in playing.
It is an exciting game, the problem I am having is that the description I have doesn't do the game justice.
I have a game night planed with the other teachers on the 18th. After we play one of the English teachers will help me re-wright everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.