Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to start a Hexcrawl campaign and I'm curious as to how many heroes is a fun fit. What are people's experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since HexCrawl is sort of a meta-shell around normal adventures you'd do in the mines and otherworlds, it really works with whatever posse size you are normally comfortable with. I've been running with posses of 3-4 and it's just fine. I'm using HexCrawl in more of a sandbox mode than trying to run through the mission where you have to close down all the mines. I had tried that originally with the version1 hexcrawl but sort of lost track of where I was.

I haven't tried any single characters with it yet but can't see any reason why that wouldn't work well either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Certainly a single character would make keeping track of the game alot easier (if you're running a solo campaign), but I've never had much luck down in the mines with a single Hero, so expect alot of early defeats and bad stuff to happen until your Hero is up and running at a good pace. 2 is also a challenge, but definitely not as much and still works for solo. 3 or 4 for a group seems to be the sweet spot for the game if you're playing with a regular gaming group. Any more than that and there tends to be a bit more down time between players, which can get boring. Plus there's usually one person keeping track of everything/fishing for map tiles/drawing cards/etc, so they're even more overloaded the more people are added to the game.

I suggested an option in there for having a rotating GM player that deals with all the non-hero stuff that could open it up to bigger groups, but that means one person ends up sitting out some of the action/character progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Play hexcrawl with two heroes and it is great . With one hero i suppose i would be crushed in the mines and otherworlds. Targa can be a really hard with 2 heroes with some encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
(...) I suggested an option in there for having a rotating GM player that deals with all the non-hero stuff that could open it up to bigger groups, but that means one person ends up sitting out some of the action/character progression.

Usually I divide the various tasks (Card draws, Enemies, Map Tiles) over the players, so that each has a proper one. That way it is not up to one person only. It keeps everyone busy with the non-Hero stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.