Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Two Questions about Rule 13

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Exploring a Tomb: Do I gain a glory for successfully exploring a tomb AND and glory for the successfully completing the endeavor that the tomb entry instructs of me? For example. On my turn I hire the Explorer’s Guild and take a sail action to an island with the tomb. My second action is to Explore the tomb. The entry instructs me to attempt a Raid Endeavor, which I pass. Since I passed, the entry instructs me to gain 3 glory. I have now 1) taken a successful explore action, 2) made a successful Raid Endeavor, and 3) Read an entry which instructs me to gain 3 Glory. How much glory do I gain during this turn? 5 for the Explore, Raid, and entry? 4 for the Raid and entry? or Just just 3 for the entry?

Second question: Some of the entries instruct me attempt neither a Raid or Explore, for example a Attempt Sail Endeavor. I know that successfully passing Sail Endeavors during a Dangerous Waters checks does not gain glory. Would making a Sail Endeavor during your Explore a Tomb action gain a Glory?

Gaining 5 Glory for the first example and none for the second makes Tombs seems very swingy.

Rule 7
Rule 7 states that Curses can only be removed by following their instructions or by a special power. Are Curses “Damage Cards” for all game effects. Does a ship that sails into a Port remove curses as well as standard damage cards? Can a Support Ship with the Fearless Upgrade take one Curse Card during an endeavor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Rule 13 and Rule & Questions [SPOILERS]
We've been playing that the successful 'Explore' endeavor is worth the glory and the subsequent skill check is not an endeavor but you get the glory of the successful flavor text. So in the example you'd have earned 4.

It has been mentioned somewhere on board by JR that most Captain Log entries are really just a 'skill check' and not a full on 'glory endeavor' I'm searching for it atm.

I do wish they would have found a different word then endeavor to use for every 5th word in the Captains Booke. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Neville
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Rule 13 and Rule & Questions [SPOILERS]
The port will not remove curses and I would say the fearless upgrade would allow the support ship to take a curse for the flagship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
heyvince wrote:
Two Questions about Rule 13

Exploring a Tomb: Do I gain a glory for successfully exploring a tomb AND and glory for the successfully completing the endeavor that the tomb entry instructs of me? For example. On my turn I hire the Explorer’s Guild and take a sail action to an island with the tomb. My second action is to Explore the tomb. The entry instructs me to attempt a Raid Endeavor, which I pass. Since I passed, the entry instructs me to gain 3 glory. I have now 1) taken a successful explore action, 2) made a successful Raid Endeavor, and 3) Read an entry which instructs me to gain 3 Glory. How much glory do I gain during this turn? 5 for the Explore, Raid, and entry? 4 for the Raid and entry? or Just just 3 for the entry?

Second question: Some of the entries instruct me attempt neither a Raid or Explore, for example a Attempt Sail Endeavor. I know that successfully passing Sail Endeavors during a Dangerous Waters checks does not gain glory. Would making a Sail Endeavor during your Explore a Tomb action gain a Glory?

Gaining 5 Glory for the first example and none for the second makes Tombs seems very swingy.

Rule 7
Rule 7 states that Curses can only be removed by following their instructions or by a special power. Are Curses “Damage Cards” for all game effects. Does a ship that sails into a Port remove curses as well as standard damage cards? Can a Support Ship with the Fearless Upgrade take one Curse Card during an endeavor?

1 - 1) and 3) happen

2 - no glory for those things

3 - I don't quite understand this question. Curses do not get removed a regular repair action - each curse will tell you how it gets removed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

3 - I don't quite understand this question. Curses do not get removed a regular repair action - each curse will tell you how it gets removed

Maybe some examples can clarify.
Let's assume a Captain's Booke entry tells me to remove a damage card, can I remove a Curse?

If my cursed ship ends it's sail action in a Port can I remove curses as well as standard damage cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James White
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
So just to make sure our group does it correctly
1) You take an explore endeavor versus the tombs defense. If successful gain glory and pick an entry in the tomb map. 2) Resolve entry taking whatever test and gain no glory from the test. 3) Do whatever book says, gain glory if it tells you too.

Thanks, and just want to say how much I'm glad that we are actually receiving rule feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blakmage86 wrote:
So just to make sure our group does it correctly
1) You take an explore endeavor versus the tombs defense. If successful gain glory and pick an entry in the tomb map. 2) Resolve entry taking whatever test and gain no glory from the test. 3) Do whatever book says, gain glory if it tells you too.

Thanks, and just want to say how much I'm glad that we are actually receiving rule feedback.

The way that I am understanding his clarification is that you take the Explore ACTION (not an Endeavor) then the entry will tell you how much Glory to gain if any. Basically you only gain the glory the book tells you to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Millam
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From looking at the rules in their entirety, I would say you get glory for successfully completing the explore endeavor (see page 10 for endeavor rules) and then additional glory per the captains book entry.

His original example he tried to eek out an extra glory for the raid attempt asked for by the captains book. That was one glory too far. The 3 glory given by the book should suffice but they should get 1 glory for a successful Tomb Exploration.

At least that's how I interpret the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
dmillam wrote:
From looking at the rules in their entirety, I would say you get glory for successfully completing the explore endeavor (see page 10 for endeavor rules) and then additional glory per the captains book entry.

His original example he tried to eek out an extra glory for the raid attempt asked for by the captains book. That was one glory too far. The 3 glory given by the book should suffice but they should get 1 glory for a successful Tomb Exploration.

At least that's how I interpret the rules.

I think this is the most concise statement of how this works that I've seen so far. But, I don't think it's quite right.

Exploring a tomb is not like exploring an unexplored island site. The language is troubling, because "explore" is used in both rules. But, they are different paragraphs. If you explore a tomb, you go straight to the back of the booke and pick an entry (no endeavor, no dice rolling). The booke entry will tell you what kind of endeavor you are rolling against and it will always give you an additional method for improving your chances. If you succeed in that endeavor, you get one glory. I don't think it matters what kind of endeavor it is, you get 1 glory if you succeed. Then you go to the paragraph that says what else you get.

I'm pretty sure that's what JR is trying to clarify up above when he says 1 and 3 happen (he really meant 2 and 3, because you don't do 1 at all). And I believe that's what the published rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so surprised that rule 13 is so difficult to build a consensus around, and JR's answers haven't been that clear or complete.

Is it
1) select explorers guild
2) choose the explore action
3) roll explore endeavor
4) if you succeed gain 1 glory and choose an entry in the back
5) perform indicated endeavor
6) take indicated reward

(Bonus: can research be used on step 4?)

Or is it
3) choose an entry in the back
4) perform indicated endeavor (no glory?)
5) take indicated reward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
I'm so surprised that rule 13 is so difficult to build a consensus around, and JR's answers haven't been that clear or complete.

Is it
3) roll explore endeavor
6) take indicated reward

Or is it
5) take indicated reward

The rules seem clear to me that it's the second, not the first. After reading rule 13 for the fifth (8th?) time, I'll concede that you might not get a glory for the endeavor within the tomb. I'm saying that based on comparison to the rule for trying to find new islands that says "gain a glory for the endeavor as normal." Rule 13 doesn't say to gain a glory as normal. But, it definitely doesn't say anything about doing an explore endeavor before you go to the back of the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
[q="iswearihaveajob"]I'm so surprised that rule 13 is so difficult to build a consensus around, and JR's answers haven't been that clear or complete.

Is it
3) roll explore endeavor
6) take indicated reward

Or is it
5) take indicated reward

The rules seem clear to me that it's the second, not the first. After reading rule 13 for the fifth (8th?) time, I'll concede that you might not get a glory for the endeavor within the tomb. I'm saying that based on comparison to the rule for trying to find new islands that says "gain a glory for the endeavor as normal." Rule 13 doesn't say to gain a glory as normal. But, it definitely doesn't say anything about doing an explore endeavor before you go to the back of the book.[/)q]

Ah. But Rule 12 doesn't say anything about an explore endeavor either! Its assumed because its an explore action. At this point I still have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
But Rule 12 doesn't say anything about an explore endeavor either!

You said that before, but it's not true. Rule 12 refers to "defense", "success", and "endeavor". Rule 13 has none of those in reference to the explore action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, curses aren't removed at a port like normal damage cards - the only way to remove them is by doing what it says on the card (or by some other specific effect to curses, or by your ship sinking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Crew
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still unclear on the ruling / consensus on any endeavor required during a tomb exploration. Does passing such an endeavor grant a glory in addition to any glory granted by the Booke?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer!

RobDaviau wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Rob,
First of all, let me say I'm a huge fan of your work and that we are currently loving the Seafall campaign.

Now onto the question- Rule 13 "Exploring Tombs"

This rule has been somewhat divisive in the forums. People, including myself, cannot clearly decide nor build consensus whether tombs involve a complex 2-part explore action or single endeavor as dictated by the Captains Booke.

Is the proper sequence of events:

3) roll explore endeavor
4) if you succeed, gain 1 glory and choose an entry in the back
5) perform indicated endeavor (no glory)
6) read appropriate entry and take indicated reward

Or is it:

5) read appropriate entry and take indicated reward

The debate stems from whether or not the initial explore endeavor is implicit in the Explore Action, and the phrase "You may explore Tombs."

Thank you for you time!

Hey, sorry about the confusion on this one. Adding rules to a book means I only get one tiny little sticker to convey big ideas. Guess I cut too many corners on this one. The answer to your question is the second one. The tomb is already a known location -- can't explore that site again. Instead, tomb sites become gateways to the map at the back of the book. You do get glory for a tomb explore as normal.

So now we know for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Crew
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm still not totally clear on one point. In the sequence

4) perform indicated endeavor

do you get a glory for step 4 if you succeed? plus any glory that might be awarded by the book entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrcairo42 wrote:
I guess I'm still not totally clear on one point. In the sequence

4) perform indicated endeavor

do you get a glory for step 4 if you succeed? plus any glory that might be awarded by the book entry?

I did ask the same followup question to Rob. The answer is YES you DO get glory for step 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I'm looking at it is that
when you explore a tomb you are doing a *variant* explore. That is, you are taking an explore action, but instead of rolling your explore dice, you are rolling an alternate dice pool, as dictated by the tomb entry. But it's still "an explore endeavor", so you still get a glory for succeeding (ie, surviving and rolling 1+ successes), plus any bonuses described in the Captain's Booke text (based on degree of success).

I think that this interpretation is consistent with Rob's response, and also frames it more consistently with the general endeavor rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's exactly it Becq. Good summary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have a clear consensus on whether you can apply the bonus from research? My instinct is that no, because "a tomb" is a distinct exploration from "a land site" or "a sea hex".

Or... (box 2 spoilers)

...the colonies that give you a free success on explore/raid endeavors? If the Captain's Booke tells you to do a raid endeavor, is it actually an explore endeavor because you're doing it as part of an explore action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had separate question in to Rob about Research that confirmed that Tombs count as "land sites" for the sake of research cards an other effects. I would say that the "raid endeavor" as part of the explore action would NOT benefit from a guaranteed explore success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lusenhop
msg tools
When told to do a raid endeavor after exploring a tomb, do you factor in island enmity and garrison value to subtract dice from the roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that
(Box 3 spoiler)
tomb exploration is an "exploration endeavor" that uses an alternate pool, like Greg mentioned. Whether other effects like island powers effects these will depend on the exact wording. For example, ship upgrades say +1 Raid or +1 Explore, so these would only help when the designated pool matched (ie, you'd get the +1 Raid benefit only when exploring a tomb that required Raid). Colonies say "Add 1 success to Explore/Raid endeavors...", and I think that the Explore version would benefit all tomb exploration regardless of pool type, while Raid would never help in tombs -- because it's an Explore endeavor using a Raid pool. By the same logic, since it's not actually a Raid endeavor, enmity and garrison wouldn't impact the roll.
However, we just unlocked these rules, so I'll need to go back and look over the wording ... or wait for a clarification, whichever comes most conclusively.

If someone gets an answer from Rob, please let me know by PM so I can make sure it gets in the FAQ (otherwise I might miss it, as I tend to search for developer posts when compiling the FAQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked the rule and the wording is (Box 3 spoiler)
Quote:
You may explore an open tomb site. When you do, pick an entry from the tomb site map inside the back cover of the Captain's Booke and read the corresponding entry. The defense of the tomb is shown on the tomb sticker. Tombs may occasionally require other ship values instead of explore and always allow for other a second way to add dice to your endeavor
The bold portion is what makes me believe that exploring tombs is still treated as an exploration endeavor, but drawing from a different ship value for the die pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.