$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: In The Name of Ibis- scenario unwinnable for Overlord? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Angliss
msg tools
Played this scenario 3 times today; seems completely broken. In all 3 games, the heroes had reached and killed Skuthus in either the first or second turn: using gems for extra moves, then ploughing everything left into attacks. Even using all my Overlord gems in defence, Skuthus was on 1 or 2 hit points if he survived. The few gems recovered were enough for him to limp off or teleport a couple of rooms away, but not far enough to escape the heroes who simply cut him down after catching him up. What did we do wrong?!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skuthus cannot be targetted with attacks if he shares a space with any other OL characters (like the Skeletons and Mummies he can raise). Note: area attacks (like the exploding orb) ignore this rule.

The Demon has block, so Conan cannot get away from him. Additionally, Skeletons have sacrifice, so they can take hits for the demon and keep it alive longer.

These two things, and some clever use of undead to hinder the heroes, should make things more difficult for them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Here are a few hints
- move Skuthus in a zone without LOS from other areas, area attacks are unusable then
- block conan with the dark demon and hit him hard (this basically applies to all scenarios)
- fill areas surrounding Skuthus with minions so heroes can't move into his area
- always place mummies into skuthus area as bodyguards and prevent rerolls for the heroes
- fill a second room as a fallback plan so Skuthus can teleport away from the heroes and is save again
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheng
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This map seems so imbalance!

Played this twice today with the default set up.

Skuthus was killed the first hero's turn! Conan rushed in and bursted with 5 gems + 1 red dice melee attack. Then the wizard teleported in and killed Skuthus! Nothing could be even summoned b/c it was first turn before overlord had a turn and there was nothing blocking the heroes' route to Skuthus.

We modified the second try by moving Dark Demon to the same starting position as Skuthus. Conan could still easily kill Skuthus in one shot even everywhere was populated with skeletons and mummies. Skuthus was killed at second hero turn. (The dark demon should've not moved away from Skuthus at first overlord turn.)

Am I the only one feeling the default Conan is overpowered with the red dice?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
windleo wrote:
This map seems so imbalance!

Played this twice today with the default set up.

Skuthus was killed the first hero's turn! Conan rushed in and bursted with 5 gems + 1 red dice melee attack. Then the wizard teleported in and killed Skuthus! Nothing could be even summoned b/c it was first turn before overlord had a turn and there was nothing blocking the heroes' route to Skuthus.

We modified the second try by moving Dark Demon to the same starting position as Skuthus. Conan could still easily kill Skuthus in one shot even everywhere was populated with skeletons and mummies. Skuthus was killed at second hero turn. (The dark demon should've not moved away from Skuthus at first overlord turn.)

Am I the only one feeling the default Conan is overpowered with the red dice?


I guess you are playing the rules wrong. Conan can not reach skulthus on the first turn. He needs 7 movement points to do it and he can only get 6.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
windleo wrote:

Am I the only one feeling the default Conan is overpowered with the red dice?

The word "Conan" means overpowered
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Angliss
msg tools
We were definitely playing the rules for movement wrong. 1 gem= 1 extra space of movement, not 1 extra move! Ironically this is clearly described in the rules, so can't even blame the rulebook!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Palm
msg tools
The scenario can be won by pure luck in the first turn (I haven't calculated the odds):

All heroes run to the zone outside his room and shoots at him with as many gems as they can. Skuthus has to defend or the mission is lost, OL will probably use all gems for this. Good attack rolls vs bad defense rolls can end the scenario here before OL gets his first turn.

Now, should something be done about this? In my opinion it doesn't matter. Nobody is playing this game competitively and it's funny if it happens once. The next time I would let whoever suggested the strategy play as the OL so they hopefully understand how pointless it is.

You lose maybe 10 minutes of your life and it's a pretty funny story to tell.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE VR
msg tools
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I was looking for comments about this scenario.

I have to say we played it three times last weekend and the Heros lost all three!

With Skuthus in a room without LoS from the outside, the Demon blocking Conan and the 8 turn limit is pretty though. However, in the last game Skuthus survived with 2 miserable life points.

Damned Stygians!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arthadan wrote:
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I was looking for comments about this scenario.

I have to say we played it three times last weekend and the Heros lost all three!

With Skuthus in a room without LoS from the outside, the Demon blocking Conan and the 8 turn limit is pretty though. However, in the last game Skuthus survived with 2 miserable life points.

Damned Stygians!

I agree. People claiming the scenarios is easily won by heroes in turn 1/2 are simply not playing by the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As per Andreas' post earlier. It is conceivable that the heroes could win before the OLs first turn playing the way he stated. I worked out that they could potentially inflict 27 damage with every role getting its maximum score and they use up all their gems. However if they don't succeed in killing Skuthus they are left in a very vulnerable position.
Arthadan, there is LOS from the corridor space just outside Skuthus' room into his room that he is in at the start.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried killing Skuthus in the heroes first go twice. The first time he ended up with 3 lives left and the second he was left with four and the heroes used all their gems. Probably not a sound tactic for the heroes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Footballzs wrote:
I tried killing Skuthus in the heroes first go twice. The first time he ended up with 3 lives left and the second he was left with four and the heroes used all their gems. Probably not a sound tactic for the heroes.


Interesting to think about. If the heroes throw every GEM at Skuthus before the OL's turn, what are the odds that they will win with that move? Also, there is the idea of abstracting a game down to it's essential decision form. This reduces to a single probability, one could just roll the appropriate percentile dice and accept the outcome as an equivalent abstraction. How fun would that be?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lynch
msg tools
I won this scenario, the first win I had as Overlord in six games, which was gratifying, as I blew at least two of those with botched special rule implementations.

You get Skuthus into one of the rooms without LOS. You guard him with the Dark Demon. You use the undead to hinder Conan. The mummies are tougher than you suppose.

Still, how does the reinforcement event work in your mind? You get ten points of reinforcement every time you buy it, and spend them on whatever combo of undead units you like, and can essentially repeat them, right? So buy another ten units when the time comes, etc.

Curious - can people throw the firebomb in their own space? That was what it came down to for them.

I barely escaped.

I don't think that this game is necessarily played in a competitive sense, though the Overlord definitely has to be strong to avoid getting hammered by an experienced group of players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.