United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you play games? Most of the people I know have more than one location they play, and they do so for different reasons. What locations do you meet at to play, and what are their benefits?

Where do I play games?

At the game store
Because it's a great location to meet new folks, has the possibility to expose new people to the hobby, and I will always be able to find someone there on board game night to try the strangest games I can find. Meeting with a game group at a game store works because it might encourage sales, and of course games are available, sometimes in a game library, always for purchase. If you work with the store you could get free advertising for the group, and possibly even discounts. There is a food court nearby, so there are lots of dining choices.

It's not so good for many of the same reasons, some of the people there have ... incompatible play styles, game preferences, or social aptitude. The good news is there are enough people there I can usually find someone I want to sit across the table from without having to sacrifice my fun for the evening.

At a friends place
Because he owns more games than I do, and there is always something new to play. He's also pickier about whom he sits down with than I am, so I know the people there will be fun to play with. Also, there are usually snacks involved.

At home
Because that's where I keep my games, and it is usually where I get to play games with the girlfriend and her child. We don't really get out to play much because I don't know anyone else in the area that has kids near his age. Also, when I am having other people over, just knowing people will be visiting makes sure cleaning gets done.

Where else?
Occasionally we've met in food courts or bars to play, but there was often an issue of table size, cleanliness, space, and access. I've never yet set up a recurring game group at a library, but if I ever live where the FLGS does not have suitable game space I probably will.

Where do you play games, what kind of benefits does the location have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dining Room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
The Dining Room.

Any specific dining room? And if so, why that one instead of another location? C'mon, work with me a little here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
The Dining Room.

With the Revolver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play at all the places Donald mentions, for all the reasons he lists.

Our group has a weekly meeting at our FLGS, a weekly meeting at the home of the member with the largest game collection, and a weekly meeting that moves around from one home to another based on who is available and what game(s) will be played. The meet-up at the FLGS and at the House of Many Games are less structured; we decide on the fly what to play. The rotating location session is usually more planned out (tomorrow, for example, we've scheduled Die Macher - Yay!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
We play at all the places Donald mentions, for all the reasons he lists.

Our group has a weekly meeting at our FLGS, a weekly meeting at the home of the member with the largest game collection, and a weekly meeting that moves around from one home to another based on who is available and what game(s) will be played. The meet-up at the FLGS and at the House of Many Games are less structured; we decide on the fly what to play. The rotating location session is usually more planned out (tomorrow, for example, we've scheduled Die Macher - Yay!)

Have fun with Die Macher!

I forgot to mention another friends place, not because of the amount of games, but he's set up so as many as eight games (more realistically 6) could run at the same time. He runs a repeating "league style" event where participants are competing for points and only have minimal control over what game they are playing in next. (they get a veto each round I think.) Game days at his place also often involve some kind of home cooked foody goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Allot of room and a large number of available players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You play at all those red dots? I wish I had your travel budget!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
The Dining Room.

With the Revolver

Colonel Mustard

(someone had to do it...)

edit
[on topic]

We play in my house in a living room (big giant add on space), my aunt's kitchen, and my friends kitchen. At work, we play in a little conference room that is usually empty for lunch.

I feel better adding some real content here now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the ones already mentioned:

At Church -- it's centrally located and has a large number of tables, good lighting, restrooms, and a fridge.

At Borders (a bookstore/cafe) -- central location, usually a decent amount of space, restroom access, food/beverages served to those who want them. And if someone is eliminated from a game, he/she can browse the books while waiting for the next game to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play at my apartment (soon to be a house, go me) and my buddy's house. We also meet weekly at a local coffee/newstand. My GF is an amazing chef, and always cooks a nice meal to go with the games when we meet at our place.

Last time we had chicken rissotto and a iceberg wedge salad with bleu cheese dressing to go with our gaming.

I would almost rather we relocate the coffee store meet at a FLGS to recruit more peeps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mondays I play at the Yahoo! corporate cafeteria (SB-Boardgamers). It is a good group, commonly running between 25 and 40 people lately and plays a very wide range of games ffrom more classical wargames through party, Eruo, abstract, filler, heavy, social, etc. Roughly at third of the people were pointed to or brought to the group by me, so I also have a somewhat paternal interest. Benefits of the location include a huge number of games available brought by the various collectors in the group, covered parking and access to the subsidised Yahoo! cafeteria (a decent three course meal costs $5), and a very social and yet game-focussed atmosphere.

Tuesdays I play at a local game store (Game Kastle). It is a great little store in a convenient location with a dedicated, clean and well lit play space (a business condo behind the store). Sadly it is a little too far from the store where the group (SVB) used to meet (that store closed), so attendance has fallen sharply. Still it is a great location and has the added bonus for me of being but a couple hundred meters off my commute path.

I try to get in the Wednesday lunchtime gaming at work but sadly am usually stuck in meetings or otherwise time challenged. They're a great set of demographically diverse people, some very skilled, and the meeting room used is less than 20 meters from my office.

Wednesdays evenings currently see me driving up to Endgame in Oakland. It is an great store and possibly the best game store I've been in. Amazing place -- almost good enough to persuade me to want to live in Oakland. Quality if players is good too. Unfortunately it is roughly an hour's drive through rush hour traffic from where I work so in a few more weeks I'll probably stop attending and instead move my Wednesday evenings to a local community centre meeting room where the rest of the other Wednesday group are setting up shop in a few weeks (SVB; forked the starving Tuesday group when Matchplay closed).

Third Sunday of the month I attend a game afternoon at a local church (Santa Clara Boardgamers). Small group, family friendly, rather laid back, good parking and easily found and accessed. Kinda nice and relaxing tho I wish we could get some more meat on the table regularly.

Last Saturday of the month I attend a mini-gamesday in the meeting room of another church (Boardgame Addicts of the Peninsula). Nice location, close to multiple reasonable food sources, good attendance and very family and kid friendly. BAP is probably the happiest group I attend.

Roughly every 6 weeks I play at the local gamesday in Los Altos (Saturday 10:00-02:00 Sunday). This is perhaps my favourite gaming of the lot. Good food nearby, a wide range of several hundred excellent gamers over the course of the game, and all the benefits that come from 16 hours of hardcore non-stop focussed gaming by people who really want to play games.

Lastly, I occasionally play at friend's or my house. The primary reason is simple and usually ad hoc convenience. The game collections are all there, adding the people is easy, food is near, furniture is comfortable etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Banin
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
at friends place, sometimes at my home, and once a month we try to go to a "cultural center" here in my town
its a huge place with a library, a comic library, theater, places for concerts and etc, lost of people go there to study and play RPG also, so we are trying to play boardgames there with a certain frequency.
didnt catch attention of any curious person, yet )=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
At Church -- it's centrally located and has a large number of tables, good lighting, restrooms, and a fridge.

Does meeting in a church have any impact the games you choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be....SA-TAN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, I was in the boy scouts. We went camping a lot. Now, you'd think this wouldn't really mesh with my boardgaming habits, but you'd be wrong.

We used to play Axis and Allies by the light of a flashlight in a tent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:

At Borders (a bookstore/cafe) -- central location, usually a decent amount of space, restroom access, food/beverages served to those who want them. And if someone is eliminated from a game, he/she can browse the books while waiting for the next game to start.

There are several game groups in the greater Denver area that meet at a Borders cafe. It's a great location since there is easy access to food/drink, plenty of parking, good table space and they generally stay open till at least 10pm. Not all the cafe locations are set up the same but the ones we have used have worked well with 20+ people on occasion and an average of about 15 or so. The other good thing is that the location is neutral ground in some sense. Initially, the DenverGames group specifically avoided game stores to avoid the negative connotations that often come with game stores. I know of at least a few people in the group who have said they wouldn't have even considered stopping by to play some games if we had been in a game store location. This has really benefited the group and we have a really great group of people that regularly get together for games.

The other location the group has met at in the past is a good sized local deli chain. Plenty of tables and parking as well as food/drink. They loved having us but they closed a little too early (9pm). This place would be similar in size to something like an Atlanta Bread company etc.

And finally we usually have open gaming on Saturdays at various peoples homes in the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order of frequency:

1) Kitchen table. Because its just big enough to handle most AT games and one or two map wargames. Its downstairs, so its near the games, and its near the garage where I store games between sessions.

2) The garage, because I have an 8' by 5' table suspended from pulleys from the ceiling. The table was originally built for EPIC games of Mage Knight involving 6,000 or more points of figures per side. Now it supports multimap wargames (and Bitter Woods, whose single map is too big to get through the doorway while set up!)

3) Desk in my bedroom. Just big enough for single map wargames. Just started playing here because I can be in the same room with my lovely (non-gamer) wife. Expect this location to rise to number 1.

4) My friend Ron's house. We work together and he lives 3 miles from the office. We head over there for lunch pretty regularly. Lately we've been playing DOOM. So far (with some lower diffulty mods in place) Invaders 2, Marines 0.

5) My friend Michael's house, because he doesn't have children to get in the way. We generally play wargames that take two or three 5 hour sessions to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
bwingrave wrote:

Does meeting in a church have any impact the games you choose?

Nope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to game in three places:

At Home
It's where my games are. I used to host a weekly game night in my apartment, but we outgrew it (we had two weeks in a row with more than 30 people present), and so we moved to

My Local Game Store
While it's held in a public location, we're technically a private party renting out the space. This gives us the freedom to tell people that they're not welcome (we've had disruptive people show up in the past). My FLGS owner knows and trusts me (I have a key to the store, even), so this works pretty well.

One a month or so, we'll game at My Office
We've got a large conference room or two with tablespace, and several enthusiastic gamers (which is nice).

Occasionally, we'll game elsewhere (we have an open invite to a regular Saturday group a bit South of us, and have other friends who game).

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
At home, in the dining room It has an expandable table and very good lighting from an overhead fan+lights (just don't accidentally turn on the fan when counters and hexes are involved!)

At a friend's house, in his dining room Good lighting, larger space, and he runs a game night every tuesday and saturday. I can only make some of them, when my daughter goes to sleep earlier enough that I can drive down for the (typically second) game.

At Work I have 3x6 foot table with, another 3x4 table at the end of it, set up behind my desk. Here we play games at lunch and sometimes afterwork and sometimes at official "game nights." It remains undisturbed so we often play longer games and leave them set up--18XX games sometimes last a couple weeks this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
In a box.

With a fox.

In a house. That's my table!

With a mouse.

Here or there. That's my FLGS in the background (and my wrist).

Anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Games, such as Carc or Settlers, get played at the dining room table because there are chairs and lights, etc.

Wargames get played primarily in the basement. I have a pool table which serves as an excellent gaming table (when nobody wants to play billiards), and my kegerators are real close for liquid nourishment.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to game at my buddy's house, gaming there involved long hours of sitting on the the floor so a few of us were a bit uncomfortable. Looking for a better place to play, I inquired at my school about using one of the classrooms on the weekend and they said that would be fine. THis gives us a table and some chairs, which helps a lot.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe E.
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with a group that gets together on Saturday afternoons in the lobby of a local restaurant. We also occasionally play at someone's house, and we once held a gaming event at a library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |