Popular Tags: gameroom_or_storage [+] [View All]
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we play at lotsa places.

Our Main Game Group: Every second week we play in a licenced coffee shop. We all live in different parts of the city so we move around a lot.

Also Our Main Game Group: Every other second week we play in the common room of one of our members.

Also, also Our Main Game Group: Every other Saturday we play at our FLGS that is far from me.

And Finally, also, also, also Our Main Game Group: Every other Sunday we play at our FLGS that is near to me.

Our Game group that we are loosely affiliated with: we play at the busness of one of the members. This member shall be know as the instigator. He sets the schedule. Sometimes he holds all-day Saturday sessions!

Our Home: we play in the kitchen or the livingroom.

On the Ferry: What else is there to do?

Various Coffee shops around the City: While waiting for the children who are attending cadet activities. There is no set schedule for this.

The Old Folks Home: We play games with my dad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our kitchen table (round) for most games. Usually 2-5 players. If two, parent and child. If three, both parents and child. If four, both parents, child, and friend (or grandma) or three kids and one adult. The occasional group of five would be 2 mommies and 3 kids. For what it's worth, I highly recommend a round table (and buying a 5th chair). It's been perfect for games, though it was originally purchased because that's what fit best in the bay-windowed breakfast nook.

Our dining room table (long rectangle) is for dexterity games (and piles of junk!).

We also play at my daughter's school on Tu morning in the library. That's usually me and 3 kids (or however many it takes to fill up a game). I thought I'd tire of this as she got older (I had lots of fun with the kindergartners), but 3rd grade has been a delight. The new gamer kids pick up on strategy very quickly and are just so obviously delighted to be learning/playing a new game.

We also take games on the road with us for family visits or when there will be hotel stays. And my daughter and I like two player games in coffee shops and, when the weather is right, in an outdoor park near our house which has a couple of shaded chess tables at the periphery of a big fountain ringed with benches. That, with a picnic, may be on today's agenda.

We haven't done game stores, game groups, conventions, etc. and are probably unlikely to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe E.
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlondieWan wrote:
I play with a group that gets together on Saturday afternoons in the lobby of a local restaurant. We also occasionally play at someone's house, and we once held a gaming event at a library.

To expand a bit on my earlier post...

I actually first got into gaming with my current group and playing some of the sorts of games enjoyed by people here (Euros, etc.) at a local Wendy's. I'd occasionally noticed a group playing games there when I went to have lunch there or something. One day when they and I were both there I decided to ask if they'd mind if I watched, and of course they didn't, so I observed as they played a new game one of them had gotten, Friedrich. The game took a while and one of the other players had to leave before it was finished, so the others asked if I'd like to take his place, and I was sucked in. Since then I've been playing regularly with this group on most Saturday afternoons at our restaurant meeting place - the Wendy's at first, but some time ago we switched to a Zaxby's close to that Wendy's (for its better food, restrooms, and atmosphere in general, and particularly the much larger tables and better seating - very important for our purposes ).

The library event was at the LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library here in Tallahassee, a couple months ago (March 10), and took the place of our regular Zaxby's meet. Someone in our local gaming community had set it up to sort of introduce and promote various sorts of games to the greater public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games in my bedroom in Ealing (my termtime accomadation) Its a nice large room and my parents have lent me a good-sized table. When I'm at home we normally play in the drawing room which has a log fire to keep everyone warm and suitable tables.

I also play once a month in a church hall in Leighton Buzzard, and I get quite a bit of online play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most frequently at home, in the board game room (as opposed to the foosball/air hockey/boccerball/Wii game room). When we moved into our home, we realized that we have never used the traditional dining and living rooms for those functions. So, we decided to turn them into rooms we would use. Hence, a board game room and a "big" game room.

In second place would be the homes of friends and family. I am the primary supplier of the games, but I don't mind taking 'em on the road.

I never play at the FLGS simply because I almost never shop there. It's a terrific store, but it's about a 20 minute drive from my house and their board game night conflicts with other things on my schedule.

Was that too much information?

I really enjoy your netcast, btw. The more the merrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play two places: At home and in my game club.

At home I hav two places to play. We have three tables in the living room which can be arranged in any combination, we may have three small games, or combine two tables for one large game and have a small game on the last table. (We host game nights most saturdays.)

In the basement I have one large table (large enough for the Empires in arms board) where I can leave games set up. This is used for games like Totaler Krieg and other games with long playing times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My home has a finished basement, a concept completely alien to me when I lived in New Orleans. Basements were nigh impossible in The Big Easy, as if you dug a hole a few feet deep, you usually encountered water!

So, I host our East Tennessee Gamers group in my finished basement. We can comfortably accomodate three tables of gaming and about 15 or so people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
gschloesser wrote:
My home has a finished basement, a concept completely alien to me when I lived in New Orleans. Basements were nigh impossible in The Big Easy, as if you dug a hole a few feet deep, you usually encountered water!

So, I host our East Tennessee Gamers group in my finished basement. We can comfortably accomodate three tables of gaming and about 15 or so people.

what? no photo's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barneshome wrote:
Was that too much information?

I really enjoy your netcast, btw. The more the merrier.

Nope, good info there. I'm of two minds about local game stores, Often they've hired people that can survive on minimum wage, or have to survive on that. Some employees rock, but all to often I encounter someone that irritates the living... er... bugs me quite a bit. Or, they are not representative of mainstream with greasy long hair, strange smells, or unusual tattoos and piercings. Not the kind of person to instill trust in many parents.

On the other hand game stores are the forefront in game exposure. A good game store in a high profile location can do more to educate potential enthusiasts about the hobby than any other resource. I love BGG, but it is really a site for people who have decided they are fans, not people who are mildly curious.

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement on the podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Minson
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally on my dining table - though I also have a collapsible bridge table if I have more players than can fit on a single table.

I also used to have a very large coffee table that was specially built to make sure I could the largest game I had at the time on it (Civilisation with the Western Expansion board ) - unfortunately space constrainst mean I no longer have that table.

If playing at friends we almost alway play on the dinning table - though one of my gaming friends has his gaming facilities in his Garden Shed

I have also played Jenga on the Beach at Portmeirion ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |