Crisis» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Played 4 solo games on medium rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beiren Owlpants
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I recieved my copy from KS a week ago and I played it 4 times solo by now (yes, I don't have many friends ) on medium level

And here is what I did in those 4 games.

First try:
I bought a company, influence card and 2 employies. I didn't have the resources to produce and he influence card was ueseless. Starting from that point, I was completly lost.
Second round I took a loan, another company and some energy to produce. But with only points from buying new companies I was not gonna cut it. By round 4 Axia was dead broke.

Second run:
I saw an opportunity to buy 2 companies wich also gave me 3 extra manager tokens, so I had my fifth manager ready. This was a great move. But the problem was that the first workers were not usefull and because we were in yellow (event card was -6) I had to pay 3 credits for a worker, but I had nothing so I took the temp.worker. I produced from round 1, but only with the temp.worker I had no permanent workers for the next round. And that became my problem throughout the game. I reached the first goal because I bought 2 companies, but round 2 and 3 were troubleome, because my money ran dry and workers became scarse. The event card from 2nd round also was -3. So Axia went bankrupt once again, although I had several recources with me but couldn't sell, so I still had an action short to get my engine going.

Third run:
Determined to make it work this time, I bought a farm, a farmer, some energy to get it started and bought a resort to make shure I have something to do with all the bread I will collect in future rounds. On second turn I again needed energy (2 this times), I took a loan, because I had no money (even had to take a penalty because of this with the event), and took 2 workers. My farm produced bread, and the bread turned into money and points with resort. I didn't reach my goal but the engine started running and from then I did more of that but also exported and this made me win the game with 111 points. So I barely made it past the 109 goal. I had 113 points, 2 penalty tiles and no money after paying back loans after last round.

Fourth run:
Today was my fourth run. Turn one I bought taxies and a bank, with a bank-worker and energy to make the bank work from turn one. Because both bank and taxy had 2 extra manager tokens, I could use an extra for the next rounds. Second turn a took a loan, so I could get another company. Banks and taxies don't get you points. So I got mines for minerals. So all of my next rounds were more of the same. Get an extra company, let the bank produce lots of money. Let the mines produce minerals. Get a power plant and heavy industry (don't know in wich order I took them) to produce metals from those minerals. And eventually some gears from those irons.
Some things were badly calculated by myself. I sometimes had 1 energy short to get everything working. And I hadn't any managers left to buy it. Money was never a problem. A eventually bought a farm and resort to get lots of points. I reached as low as 3 on the crisis meter, but when my engine was running good it was unstopable. I ended with 140 points, 104 credits and no penalties. So actually I had 160 points. I also ended with 6 minerals, because I didn't knew that there were no contracts for them on level 3 contracts.

Conclusion:
You realy have to find an engine to work together. Farm + Resort works or mines + heavy industrie works, but having a money machine like banks or taxi is very handy. But getting them eraly makes it difficult to not go below 0 points on turn 4 or 5. After that it's easy. In solo play I don't see much advantage for the first 2 action spots (influence and 4 credits) or even the import packages because something that expansive will propably let axia go bankrupt. I expect these things more prominent on multiple players.

Hope I can test this game with other players soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the secret to a neat strategy is the following:
Do not buy companies just for the VPs (unless it is absolutely neccessary).
Instead, you should buy a couple of buildings (at the first 3 rounds) and try to activate them with as many workers as possible. In the first rounds you have to decide the production chain that suits you (e.g. farms and resorts, mines and industrie, farms and banks, e.t.c.) and commit to it. Which means that you will try to get employees that suits your plan. It is very important to use as many employees as possible to activate your buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beiren Owlpants
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
TurambarGR wrote:
Well, the secret to a neat strategy is the following:
Do not buy companies just for the VPs (unless it is absolutely neccessary).
Instead, you should buy a couple of buildings (at the first 3 rounds) and try to activate them with as many workers as possible. In the first rounds you have to decide the production chain that suits you (e.g. farms and resorts, mines and industrie, farms and banks, e.t.c.) and commit to it. Which means that you will try to get employees that suits your plan. It is very important to use as many employees as possible to activate your buildings.

That is indeed what I thought after a few plays. But don't understand why there aren't any contracts for mineralls on level 3. Plenty for food though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Beiren!

There aren't any contracts for minerals in Level III, because we needed more contracts for high level products, such as chemicals, industrials and machines. Moreover, there are high level companies (e.g., freighters) that "convert" minerals to VPs directly.
The players that have invested in minerals from the start must build a strong production chain to create higher valued products. This is a better way to get VPs than just sell minerals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beiren Owlpants
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
This evening I played this game solo again (with my foam inlay, setup time and clean-up time is greatly reduced) and tried hard for the first time.

And I actually did it. I won the game with 164 points. And this was my 6 solo play (played it one time with 4 on a board game night). So I'm very happy with that result.

I read that you get better results with more employees. I bought much companies also but employees were indeed the key. And I got lucky to buy 2 companies wich unlocked my extra manager. But always invest in employees.

I ended the game with:
- Trains 01 (bought turn 1)
- Power Plant 01 (turn 1)
- Farm 03 (turn 2)
- Mines 02 (turn 3)
- Heavy industry 04 (turn 4)
- Resort 04 (turn 5)
- Freighters 03 (turn 6)
- Heavy industry 08 (turn 7)

and:
- 1 game designer (sotiris; got him from turn 1)
- 3 farmers
- 5 engineers
- 3 farmers/workers
- 3 workers
- 1 banker

Now I really want to play this game with 3 or more players.

Great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beiren wrote:

and:
- 1 game designer (sotiris; got him from turn 1)

LOL! Glad I helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.