Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to kick off a discussion about some potential, tentative news we've heard that came out of a TechRaptor article about talking to Adam of Kingdom Death at GenCon 2016.

The article in full is here: https://techraptor.net/content/gen-con-kingdom-death-monster...

The part I wanted to discuss/speculate on/get hyped about was this:

TechRaptor wrote:
Adam also let slip a few details about their plans for upcoming expansion content. While we didn’t catch this info on video, it’s still very exciting. Adam told me that they have plans to release some future expansions in the same format as those already released: single monsters that can be added to the game to augment the existing story arc. While this info has been known for a while, Adam also told me that their plans have changed for some expansions, such as the Nightmare Ram.

Adam and Anna are currently planning to expand the Nightmare Ram out into a full-fledged story arc, with multiple monsters, similar to the base game story arc. Taking place in a different part of the Kingdom Death world, players will face a whole new set of monsters, including nemesis monsters and a new final boss. In the example that he gave me, while VERY tentative, would include the likes of the Nightmare Ram, the Frogdog, the Pariah as a nemesis, and the Gryphon sitting at the top of the food chain. This information isn’t set in stone, but it is extremely exciting nonetheless. The expansions in their current form already add a staggering amount of content to the game, especially those like the Sunstalker and Dragon King that each already add a brand new campaign. The thought of a single expansion adding nearly as much, if not as much, content to the game as is included in the base game is mind boggling.

This is SUPER COOL! I started thinking about what an expansion that size would actually look like, based on the info in that quote:

- 3 quarry monsters (Nightmare Ram, Frogdog, Gryphon)
- Multiple Nemesis monsters (one of which is the Pariah)
- A new final boss (assuming this is different from any of the listed monsters)
- New armor kits and settlement locations for each quarry monster
- "Taking place in a different part of the Kingdom Death world..." I interpret this to mean an entirely new location, perhaps a new biome with its own terrain, events and locations?

Maybe you can see where I'm going here. It's not a longshot at all to imagine that if a few things were added....let's see, 4 new starting survivors, a new hunt event table, new story events...*GASP* THIS COULD BE A NEW CORE GAME

DISCLAIMER: This is all speculation! Don't go running around spouting off "OMG GUYS DID YOU HEAR NEW KINGDOM DEATH CORE GAME IS DEFINITELY HAPPENING WOOOOO" because no. Just no.

This might just be a super huge full-story-arc expansion that would still require the base game to play. But if this massive box really is in the works, there wouldn't be a whole lot Adam would need to add to make another full core game box, completely different from Monster. Either way, this idea is SUPER exciting to me!

What do you all think? Excited for the possibility of a super-expansion? Want to see a second, all-new core box? Think this will get scrapped on the cutting room floor and be split up into separate expansions instead? Have at it, but be friendly and civil! I just want to talk about a game I love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He has talked in the past about doing Kingdom Death: Heroes (or something like that) that would focus on more heroic characters than the Survivors. With all the alt Hero characters that have been getting released over the past year or two, I wouldn't be so surprised if they show up in a Dungeon Crawl-esque Kingdom Death Heroes expansion/new core game. Especially with some of the early photos showing the Nightmare Ram being played as a Dungeon Crawl-esque encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love there to be a second core game so to speak. Kind of like how Shadows of Brimstone has 2 core boxes.

Along the same lines but hitting a little closer to home; what does TBD for Lantern Festival mean? To be determined is my first guy feeling but people in other threads have me hoping TBD in this situation means "to be delivered." Or maybe "to be disclosed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He has talked in the past about doing Kingdom Death: Heroes (or something like that) that would focus on more heroic characters than the Survivors. With all the alt Hero characters that have been getting released over the past year or two, I wouldn't be so surprised if they show up in a Dungeon Crawl-esque Kingdom Death Heroes expansion/new core game. Especially with some of the early photos showing the Nightmare Ram being played as a Dungeon Crawl-esque encounter.

This article sounds more like this is something that's supposed to tie into Monster. Adam talked separately in a couple videos about the "Heroes" game (known internally as "Labyrinth" according to Adam). Can't wait for that either!

Quote:
Along the same lines but hitting a little closer to home; what does TBD for Lantern Festival mean? To be determined is my first guy feeling but people in other threads have me hoping TBD in this situation means "to be delivered." Or maybe "to be disclosed."

No one is sure, only Adam knows. Guess we just have to wait until Nov 5 (woo this Saturday!) to find out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As everything that concerns KD:M, these comments have my wallet very unsettled. Since Adam Poots stated that he wouldn't say anything about the KS unil Nov 25th to "keep the surprise", I assume that there will be a surprise. And knowing Mr. Poots' taste for facemelting events, I am really eager to see what he's got in store for newcomers and old KD:M owners like myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God between LF and the new KS I am going to blow like $400-1000. And I still have Christmas gifts to worry about! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Guess we just have to wait until Nov 5 (woo this Saturday!) to find out!

What is happening on Nov 5? I thought no news were to be expected before the 25th.

Anyway, speculations about what we should expect are probably exciting but, IMHO, useless when it comes to KD.

It's like the speculations about the Apple products: The iPhones mockups are NEVER even close to the official product we end up with.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun as an appetizer but it doesn't lead anywhere.

This Poot guy is the (early) Steve Jobs of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Shearer
msg tools
baylock wrote:
Quote:

What is happening on Nov 5? I thought no news were to be expected before the 25th.

That's the Lantern Festival announcement/info update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
1.)

I'd like an expansion focusing on an upgrade to the hunt event.
I'm not sure if it's been rumoured or hinted at before, but a dungeon crawler Hunt Phase is what I had in mind:

- Instead of tracking the quarry in the open world, they'd enter a labyrinth or dungeon to find their foe.
- Definitely, a more maze like hunt table instead of a linear one. (Shorter and more perilous paths vs. longer and more safer ones).

2.)

An expansion were one fights a horde of monsters (definitely not as generic as zombies, but with the same principal). Something like the Sunstalker shade idea, but on steroids.

3.)

An expansion were the survivors could capture and tame their quarry and have it aid them later. White Lion Mittens to the rescue! Fighting multiple quarries at once, or a 3-way fight between 2 quarries and the survivors.

With the amount of time and money invested in KD Monster, I don't think a sequel to Monster would be a good idea, unless it's a KD lite spinoff. Expansions and upgrades are the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
BMR_Satch wrote:
baylock wrote:
Quote:

Yup. I highly recommend signing up for the newsletter on the Kingdom Death website, that's where all this news usually comes from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The thing is, I'm already signed up but this one flew under my radar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
about the main topic, though:
I don't know if a brand new core game is something that desirable; I mean, replacing all quarries, nemeses and the overall campaign is a big plus, but I don't know if it is that useful to replace settlement locations or the bulk of the gear, for instance.

I would REALLY love to see a campaign that replaces quarries, maybe events, gives a new timeline, but the core is a lot more. For instance, nightmare ram as a quarry could share resources with the antelope, so that barber surgeon items would be available all the same with spidicules, or for example could allow to add mix& match sets from lion knight even without it...
this, of course, still retaining the nightmare armor set, that we already know it's a thing...

Or, at least, this is a thing I'd like to see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
BMR_Satch wrote:
baylock wrote:
Quote:

And also the last status update for the KS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawd, my wallet...

It'll be very interesting to see the upcoming KS and what it will bring for returning fans who already own the core game and the expansions. If the Ram is the surprise that Poots eluded to and is a whole other core game with its own set of monsters and lore then....sign....meh....up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep. We kinda known that for a while now with the Tech Raptor review.

We could have potentially 2 major expansions of the Lantern Festival and the survivors killing some heroes of a settlement and taking it over. Which would be cool to see some human warefare in KD:M. I would like to see settlment raids as a new mechanic as other humans (raiders or from another settlement) come in and try to pillage your settlement. Adds another potential enemy force than just monsters in the world of KD.

I hope there's more than those three. I really want the white knight with the huge flail. That's my wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:
BMR_Satch wrote:
baylock wrote:
Quote:

And also the last status update for the KS

I wonder if we will be able to buy Lattern Festival tommorow or is it going to be just an announcment? Or maybe tommorow Adam will deliver nothing... it could be anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas.

The big speculation to me is whether he's going to try and create a second core game that is more affordable than the first one was.

One thing to note about all of those monsters on your list- the Pariah, Frogdog, Nightmare Ram and Griffon are all very organically shaped. That's exactly the sort of thing that casts very well in PVC (in some ways, I'd argue that it would be a better material for them than the HIPS plastic).

It is possible that he could create a second core box that features a different 3 monsters, 3 new nemeses, and a new end boss.

On a second note- I know that he's released the Flower Witch stuff in the hard plastic just now. I'm sincerely hoping that we get a full campaign for the Flower Witch in the KS (he might even allow people to just buy the rules materials, since some of us have already bought the minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd speculated that that set might be a good budget/alternate core. There's a heavy emphasis on organic models, and those shapes are all pretty good material for PVC, which has progressed a lot in the last few years (like Journey and some of CMoN's minis lines) so it's possible it could be made without as dramatic a drop in quality while opening up a new market (cheaper) and appeasing current fans (new gaming material).

Like the OP, pure speculation.

Drew, yeah, I hadn't bought the flower minis in resin b/c I'd been hoping for an expansion, a bit less-hopeful now, but since there's precedent of appeasing owners of existing plastics, it could be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yep. We kinda known that for a while now with the Tech Raptor review.

It's been floating around, but mostly it was "Didn't we hear about...wasn't there someone who said..." etc etc. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's wild speculation with no sources for information. One reason I wanted to make this thread was so that people could point back and say "Check out this thread, it has accurate info on this subject"

Quote:
One thing to note about all of those monsters on your list- the Pariah, Frogdog, Nightmare Ram and Griffon are all very organically shaped. That's exactly the sort of thing that casts very well in PVC (in some ways, I'd argue that it would be a better material for them than the HIPS plastic).

I wouldn't say the material is necessarily better. The Gorm, a very rounded, clay-like organic figure looks great in the hard plastic, and I think it would work for all of these new monsters.

And I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I honestly would prefer more hard plastic to cheaper PVC. The quality is worth it to me. Not saying I wouldn't buy a Kingdom Death PVC game, but I wouldn't be as in love with everything as I am with the core game.

I think even if there was a second hard plastic core game, it wouldn't be as expensive as the first. The reason is time. For Monster, the game was so heavily revised and redone in the 3 years from the Kickstarter that they really had to price everything aggressively to make up for the huge development time. A second core game would have a lot of stuff locked down already - the general graphic design, the rulebook layout, box dimensions, etc. It would still be pricey due to new mini molds, new art assests, etc, but perhaps not as bad as the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, PVC is not a better material than most anything, unless you're talking about low part count (since it allows some undercutting), and price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, even the best PVC, and there's a little that's really nice and is at least as good as okay HIPS and some that even approaches good HIPS, is, unfortunately, still PVC, so it doesn't hold up on any hobby end, being a bit less forgiving to paint and definitely less forgiving to customize, clean, or glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They tried to do some experimental runs with PVC models and canned it. The Wet Nurse and Twilight Knight were available in PVC at one point but the old sales links say they wouldn't be using PVC in the future. I don't know if they'll revisit it but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
jpancier wrote:
They tried to do some experimental runs with PVC models and canned it. The Wet Nurse and Twilight Knight were available in PVC at one point but the old sales links say they wouldn't be using PVC in the future. I don't know if they'll revisit it but I doubt it.

Adam has mentioned in one newsletter that the concept of a more mass market PVC game is something he's thinking about.

But I don't think the expansion news mentioned above has anything to do with that. I very much think this will be a hard plastic expansion/core

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PVC's come a long way since the wet nurse/TK test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.