Subject: Best racing games with combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking at Titan Race and wondering if this is the best game in this category?
Really wanting something that's light (so wife will play) but deep in strategy or tactics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Titan Race, so I can't compare it to anything. However my group and I really have a good time with Monster Derby and the expansion.
Also pretty good is Cthulhu 500 with a recently revised edition- Fast & Fhtagn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus Minimus is, as the name suggests, a streamlined version of the classic Circus Maximus that is very accessible and offers almost the same depth as its precursor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers does not have combat per se, but you can be pretty nasty with your opponents, blocking them or pushing them into water currents. Cool racing game, but not for the faint of heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rush n' Crush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Think card driven Car Wars but without having to build your vehicle (which is labor intensive but half the fun of CW). This game assumes your car is bristling with machine guns, oil slicks, boxes of hand grenades, etc.

Roadkill is an older The Avalon Hill Game Co game (early 90's) but isn't hard to find and when you do it can be had for $20 USD. Another nice feature is this can play up to eight.

+1 to Circus Minimus (or Circus Maximus for that matter!) they are like a mix of Ben Hur and the WWF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Circus Imperium. Not only combat between gladiators, but man versus beast.

I amsupriesd that RoboRally hasn't come up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I amsupriesd that RoboRally hasn't come up

I hadn't thought of that since there isn't a track to follow, but it's certainly a race. Good suggestion.

Perhaps an oddball choice, but Axles and Alloys could be a fun way to get into minis and DIY. You can't beat free rules and the vehicles can be pimped out to your heart's content.

Hello Kitty vs. Mad Max, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like Mike has mentioned, is RoboRally or Steampunk Rally more fun, more replayable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mississippi Queen is good fun

PitchCar can be played mean devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Space Race

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

TedW wrote:

Rush 'n Crush, if played with teams and with sufficient laps to push the cars, can be one hell of a great play. The components "speak" to playing in teams, but the rules seem to actively avoid the topic. It's very easy to play that way and it dramatically improves the game play. I very much recommend this one for team play.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
Looking at Titan Race and wondering if this is the best game in this category?
Really wanting something that's light (so wife will play) but deep in strategy or tactics

Cthulhu+Ragnarok+Smallworld rip-off+Hearthstone rip-off?

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Battlecars is still a good game. A bit wargamerish in style and play but good fun.

+ 1 for Jamaica

Another cool race game that plays very different is Lewis & Clark, no combat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Thunder Road!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

TedW wrote:

Rush 'n Crush, if played with teams and with sufficient laps to push the cars, can be one hell of a great play. The components "speak" to playing in teams, but the rules seem to actively avoid the topic. It's very easy to play that way and it dramatically improves the game play. I very much recommend this one for team play.

S.

Plus you can find a copy for like 10 bucks which is an absolute steal......! Very underrated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Circus Minimus is, as the name suggests, a streamlined version of the classic Circus Maximus that is very accessible and offers almost the same depth as its precursor.

I only have Circus Maximus , which would be my best pick. Does Circus Minimus allow you to watch your opponent be dragged to death slowly while strapped to his team of horses as well?

RoboRally, with the RoboRally: Armed and Dangerous expansion would be my next best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second Circus Maximus. Great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope no one minds the self-promotion here (I figured it would be okay since this conversation has stalled for a couple of months anyway), but I'm working on such a game. In my opinion combat racing deserve more examples in our hobby, so I thought I'd contribute my ideas. Please take a look and subscribe for updates if you're interested:

/thread/1715733/wip-death-race-arcade-futuristic-vehicular-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
I hope no one minds the self-promotion here (I figured it would be okay since this conversation has stalled for a couple of months anyway), but I'm working on such a game. In my opinion combat racing deserve more examples in our hobby, so I thought I'd contribute my ideas. Please take a look and subscribe for updates if you're interested:

/thread/1715733/wip-death-race-arcade-futuristic-vehicular-c...

I subbed to that thread. I will keep an eye on it thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
Like Mike has mentioned, is RoboRally or Steampunk Rally more fun, more replayable?

I haven't played RoboRally, so can't speak for that, but we haven't gotten sick of Steampunk Rally yet. Plenty of ways to change it up -- 16 different inventors, 2 sides of the modular board, extra challenge tokens that can be added, and a couple promo inventors that Roxley will send you if you ask. However, I wouldn't call it a combat racing game. There are a couple of boost (action) cards that hurt other players, but it's not a large part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I ended up picking Titan Race because I found a deal for really cheap. Its a good fun light, little game.
I am considering Jamaica also, but worries that I will have two race games. Does anyone have more than 1 race game and think its an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Road Kill Rally is tons of fun, but it works best with larger player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
I ended up picking Titan Race because I found a deal for really cheap. Its a good fun light, little game.
I am considering Jamaica also, but worries that I will have two race games. Does anyone have more than 1 race game and think its an issue?

Although Jamaica is a race game, it's not just racing, and you can win the game without winning the race. So it doesn't feel like "Oh, another racing game." Basically, I don't think adding it to a collection with, say, Formula D would be at all redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.