Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Leaving Earth, which cards are you most likely to run out of?

Lately I've seen several people run out of Juno rockets, though they weren't really doing anything useful with them, and I've seen more advanced players run out of ion thrusters.

(I'm working out the contents list for the next expansion, and it would be fairly easy to throw in a few extra component cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Success cards--although I always seem to have plenty of major and minor failures!

(Playing primarily solo, I don't tend to run out of any component cards.)

Are you thinking of printing more of a particular card, or a x3, x4, x5 type card a la Agricola?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Are you thinking of printing more of a particular card, or a x3, x4, x5 type card a la Agricola?

I'm open to either one. We already have 5x Supplies in the game, so there's precedent for having higher denominations of components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ion-thrusters and probe with the outer planets..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Court
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junos. There's just enough for solo, but with any more players this pile disappears immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played the base game solo so far and the only thing I've run out of are sample cards. Junos and ion thrusters have run low though.
I'd suggest generic "3X" and/or "5X" tokens as they solve the problem of running out of cards while also keeping the space crafts that have multiple of the same card more organized, all while not requiring you to print a bunch of cards.
And I really like the wooden tokens, so any excuse to get more is good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
Junos and probes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be my playstyle, but ion thrusters, often by a factor of 2 or more.

I usually use the following trick -- any card that is upside down is the same as the first rightside up card above it. So, a stack of N ion thrusters can be represented by 1 ion thruster, plus N-1 of any other card, upside down. (Even then, I sometimes run out of ion thrusters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ion Thrusters, and I usually just play solo. Would love some more copies of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junos for me. They are just the prime filler component to buy with left-over money. (Supply is more situational and oyu typically do not need too large quantities as you can often enough pick them up some place else).

I use Ions a lot, but I never ran out of them, which is surprising to me seeing that some other players do run out regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too only play solo and I always run out of Ion Thrusters. They're just so damn useful, especially with the Outer Planets expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McBrien
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Ion Thrusters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
Medics!!
Ion thrusters.
Probes.
Junos.
Samples from $$$ worlds.
Supplies.
spacecraft cards.

However I use the following variant:
Before the game, divide all components by 5, round down, and form stacks for each participant (note: samples and Aldrins will not make it). Put the rest to another stack pool. Then, depending on the amount of players and missions, whenever someone completes a missions, they take, as a reward, several different components from the common pool and add them to their own pool. The amount to be picked up should be adjusted in a way that all common components are gone before tha last mission is taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Davis
msg tools
The two things I most run out of are free time and table space.

Seriously though, more Juno rockets and ion engines would be appreciated. I haven't used the Aldrin capsules yet but I suspect that a multiplayer Outer Planets game might need a few more of them.

I also like the idea of a generic "3x" or "5x" or whatever *token* that can be put on a single component card of any type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made these before I ever received the game.

Perhaps card versions would be the best option.

Essentially a card with x2 on one side and x3 on the other with effects the card directly under it.

Can be used for any card deficiencies, rather then printing more of specific components.

Truthfully I've never really needed them but I've still yet to truly dive into outer planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to recommend something like this. Rather than have a "Juno x5" card, and a "Probe x 5", why not just "x5" markers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Yoder

Granite Bay
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ion thrusters. I use them like long haul space trucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Played my first multi-player game Wednesday, and we ran out of Probes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.