Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy! (sorry for the super long post, main question is italicized)

A couple of friends and I were recently talking about the latest ado in the Football and Fantasy worlds, and I began to realize how fantastic fantasy football really is.
Players get an entire season's worth of brutally competitive entertainment, and become so closely attached to their drafted players that listening to them rattle off about the political and physical narrative of their team's performance begins to resemble an emotionally super-charged telenovela.

All this complexity and all of these personal stories derive from a string of otherwise banal football matches. This fascinates me.

Since (from the perspective of FF) an actual football match is really just a weekly statistics and roster information update with an involving visual that all the stories you've been building can tie into, I've gotten to thinking... would it be possible to build a board/miniatures/other type game, designed from the ground up to incorporate the Fantasy structure?

Say, a mini's game with a weekly podcast, told in seasons, that pays lip-service to the characters you can build your team with, telling their story.
Perhaps Crognak the orc barbarian has been captured by the humans this week, and will effectively have to play benched. Perhaps Dorian's been hurt on an amazing adventure, but has recovered a powerful artifact - translating into a new hero power, but lower starting health this week?
Maybe players can report their home game results, which in aggregate influence the story?

Maybe it's not a physical game at all, but a role playing one in which NPC's you work with change and grow over time, represented by a weekly updated TV show? (Oh no! the zombies got Glen!)

Maybe an online game about managing a fantasy group of other people's D&D/Shadowrun characters as you watch them through their various campaigns, keeping a balanced team of choice player characters.

I digress, this is still a very undeveloped proto-idea.
Would you mind helping me track down games that have implemented similar ideas? (Pandemic Legacy Season 1/2, for ex.)

In what direction would you take a concept like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the chatter about the team fantasy element is eminently contrived, you could simply pick up something like Strat-o-Matic Football and bolt on the weekly story telling element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle From 1994 with that: Home Game Fantasy Football There is even more recent sort. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
check blood bowl which included campaigns/seasons, player progression and Stat recording all in a fantasy setting. not much in the way of story telling elements but I think it is the gold standard for mixing fantasy and sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, then get Battleball since mass 'cheaply' figurines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melbards wrote:
check blood bowl which included campaigns/seasons, player progression and Stat recording all in a fantasy setting. not much in the way of story telling elements but I think it is the gold standard for mixing fantasy and sports.

GROGnads wrote:
then get Battleball

Excellent. Thank you! Going to go pull the rules out of the bgg file sections and give them a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the various editions of the core Blood Bowl (Third Edition) game, don't forget the variants, like Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BasketBoss could be exactly what you're looking for, just a different sport. Compete to draft players, and watch their performance change over the season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh. That's exactly in the right ball park. I'll see if I can hunt down a play session. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.