6 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using inventions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Sapiano
Spain
flag msg tools
Played this game first time today and I have a questions regarding using the things we invent. To USE one of the objects we invent, do we have to put a pawn or two? Or using an object is a "free" action??

In Castaways for example, I thought using the mast without any worker placement once every round was too easy (3 wood free every round...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some inventions (like the pot) provide an ongoing benefit. Others, like he knife or the mast, provide a one-time benefit. For example, the knife doesn't give a weapon level each round. It gives a weapon level when you build it. It also satisfies a prerequisite for other inventions or is needed for some events, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the iconography of this game leaves a little to be desired (IMO). And the [original] rule book doesn't bother to explain some simple conventions which would make the game so much clearer.

You place workers in order to *invent/create* something. You only do this once only, unless some game effect makes you reset.

If there is anything shown on the *front* of that card, you get it as a one time only effect at the end of that phase.

Then you flip the card. If there is anything on the *back* of the card, you get it once/round for the rest of the game.

That once/round thing is *free* unless you see arrows, which show what you have to pay on one side of the arrow and what you gain on the other side of it. I don't have the game in front of me, but you might invent a pot, for example, which on the back might show that you can pay a food (arrow) to gain a health once/round.

Since "scenario specific inventions" only show the front of the card, we assume the back is blank, and so what you get is a *one time* effect shown on the front.

Note: I seem to recall one item - a rope ladder? - which might break this convention. Oh, well...

So, in your mast example, the mast can be created one time only.
Similarly, the Hatchet is a one time effect. Luckily, the one time effect is to put a permanent token on your camp. And that token can be used once per round.

Understanding this convention clears up *so* much confusion about this game. I'm rather shocked that the rulebook didn't explain this, because its not obvious at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlesperance wrote:
Yeah, the iconography of this game leaves a little to be desired (IMO). And the [original] rule book doesn't bother to explain some simple conventions which would make the game so much clearer.

You place workers in order to *invent/create* something. You only do this once only, unless some game effect makes you reset.

If there is anything shown on the *front* of that card, you get it as a one time only effect at the end of that phase.

Then you flip the card. If there is anything on the *back* of the card, you get it once/round for the rest of the game.

That once/round thing is *free* unless you see arrows, which show what you have to pay on one side of the arrow and what you gain on the other side of it. I don't have the game in front of me, but you might invent a pot, for example, which on the back might show that you can pay a food (arrow) to gain a health once/round.

Since "scenario specific inventions" only show the front of the card, we assume the back is blank, and so what you get is a *one time* effect shown on the front.

Note: I seem to recall one item - a rope ladder? - which might break this convention. Oh, well...

So, in your mast example, the mast can be created one time only.
Similarly, the Hatchet is a one time effect. Luckily, the one time effect is to put a permanent token on your camp. And that token can be used once per round.

Understanding this convention clears up *so* much confusion about this game. I'm rather shocked that the rulebook didn't explain this, because its not obvious at all.

Hmm... this is a great explanation, but I have some questions then. I played my first game last night, and we had the cellar. Is the cellar a "Turn 1 food into non-perishable every round"? Or does it mean nothing perishes? My game isn't handy. I don't remember if it was an arrow.

We played that nothing spoils. If this is correct, were we also correct to still use yellow food tokens unless something was specifically stated to be non-perishable? We assumed yes because we thought if a game effect made us lose our cellar, our food should spoil. (edit: and if it's NOT correct, then no wonder we won on our first try)

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does mean that nothing perishes.
And you were also correct about not turning any yellow food into non perishable for cellar.
Well done for your first win guys arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
Yes it does mean that nothing perishes.
And you were also correct about not turning any yellow food into non perishable for cellar.
Well done for your first win guys arrrh

Thanks, but turns out we were still (unsurprisingly) cheating, lol. Somehow we determined that we didn't have to roll to build roof, palisades and weapons. For some reason we thought that was for inventions only. shake

I've scoured the rules and the forums here for more mistakes, and as far as I can tell that was the only mistake we made. So not so bad, eventthough that's a big one. Looking forward to trying again. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.