Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Best module combinations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonez Conway
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just got The Long Night. We've had the original DoW since it's been out and it's a top 5 game for both of us. So since we just got Long Night and are a little hesitant to just throw all the modules in at once, I was wondering what some of you favorite module combinations are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still playing thru the game but thus far, the bandits and improvement modules are a good combo and don't throw too much on top of an already crowded table.
The Raxxis seems a bit more involved in mechanics so we're leaving that module for last until we get into a rhythm of doing the improvements / bandits combo.
It works for us.
Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios in the book are quite good to run through as an introduction to Raxon and the bandits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas is right for the most part. Once you get them down though, you will likely want to include all modules all the time as otherwise you will have to sort through and pull out certain characters, crises, secret objectives, and crossroad cards before each play.

I personally would recommend printing out the location deck recommendation file and using it as a guide if you want to merge the core set with the expansion.

Simply throwing all the location deck cards together will alter the difficulty of some objectives (draining 2 search decks) and drawing 20 at random from each location's pile will vastly alter the predictability of searching at locations as ratios will not match up with what is printed on each location. The easiest way to get search decks of 20 that include a bit of variety or at least include the new cards is to use the pdf found here in the file page.

It will take a while to reconstruct the decks so if you are planning on combining search deck items this way, I'd suggest doing it well in advance of trying to play a game.

Link to file page: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136408/combining-location-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonez Conway
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! We tried the bandits and it was easy to pick up. Looking forward to adding improvements next.

I'll have to use this pdf as well. I kind of liked what Shut Up & Sit Down said about the randomness of not knowing what is in the pile when mixing the decks, but looking for weapons at the Police Station when you really need one and not finding one could be extremely frustrating too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just thrown in a vote for just mixing the decks and drawing 20 at random. It works fine. Sure, the ratios won't be exactly the same, but most of the time they are pretty close. And I actually like the feeling of not being that sure that the Police Station has any more weapons. We've found that once people get to know the items to expect at each location, they start saying things like, "Well, I know there are 3 more Food cards here so if I make 2 more noise, I will have a 50% chance of finding at least one of them." That just seems too certain to me -- do all of the townsfolk keep a list of the inventory of every place in town??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I'll just thrown in a vote for just mixing the decks and drawing 20 at random. It works fine. Sure, the ratios won't be exactly the same, but most of the time they are pretty close. And I actually like the feeling of not being that sure that the Police Station has any more weapons. We've found that once people get to know the items to expect at each location, they start saying things like, "Well, I know there are 3 more Food cards here so if I make 2 more noise, I will have a 50% chance of finding at least one of them." That just seems too certain to me -- do all of the townsfolk keep a list of the inventory of every place in town??

I've done the same with no problems. If everything goes south during the game, it's not because "There were only 2 weapons in the police station deck!!!". Usually, it's because there's a betrayer, or bad event, or we ignored the bandits and now the whole board is overrun with zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Carron
Canada
Thamesville
Ontario
flag msg tools
I learned the Long Night by just using all the modules and playing. It's tougher because of the amount of things you need to track but really Raxxon and Bandits are really what you need to worry about. Improvements sort themselves out and are part of a players abilities and take no action die to place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Carron
Canada
Thamesville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mrsuitcase wrote:

... or we ignored the bandits and now the whole board is overrun with zombies.

I just lost a game last week because of this. It can happen before you know it and ends a game real fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think this setup simple and fair?

Mix all cards from each location and deal 20 random cards (i.e. follow rule book)
Exception: all players can use any food1 card as trade. Similarly, fuel can be used as fire and junk can be used as advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:

Mix all cards from each location and deal 20 random cards (i.e. follow rule book)
Exception: all players can use any food1 card as trade. Similarly, fuel can be used as fire and junk can be used as advancement.

I think in this case it can happen that the main objective is not solvable any longer (e.g. the one which needs 10 tools).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
hokuto_su wrote:

I think in this case it can happen that the main objective is not solvable any longer (e.g. the one which needs 10 tools).

I think Ronald was mostly asking if his proposed exception seemed playable or not.

But it would be interesting to do the actual calculation of creating the Location decks per the rules and seeing what chance there is of not having 10 tools among all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question came up after our first play yesterday. If we mix basic and tln together, it is quite difficult to complete advancements because there aare only half as much advancement cards.

We also thought that it is more fun to follow the rulebook because the deck is less predictable so we did not opt to use a deck builder method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.