Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody!

I'm Wei-Hwa Huang. I'm going to be running the puzzle hunt this year. I'm a rookie to BGG.CON and specifically the BGG.CON puzzle hunt, but I'm certainly no stranger to puzzle hunts and puzzles in general.

I took on the project with perhaps less lead time than I would like, so at the moment I am still furiously writing puzzles.

While the puzzle hunt will be very rich on puzzles, it will probably be lower on activities, mostly because I'm not familiar enough with the hotel to set up installations and runarounds.

As things get closer to fruition I will start posting more teasers and spoilers on this thread, as a small award those who are paying attention to the forum. I'd also welcome any feedback or suggestions -- things can still change up until I send everything to FedEx Kinko's to be printed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this. Thanks for taking it on, it would have been sorely missed otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Anon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
what is a puzzle hunt? Or what is the broad overview?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Krumick
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
UNLV
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for taking on this task. I'm sure its no small order to put together something like this. While there have certainly been "activities" in the past (once was a large puzzle/scavenger hunt), I'd say a large percentage of the time the puzzles are easily completed at a single table. I'm sure what ever you come up with will be nothing short of brilliant and tons of fun. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
majicbaby wrote:
what is a puzzle hunt? Or what is the broad overview?

Get a team of up to four people. Sit in a room and solve puzzles. The puzzles will be structured around some theme. TEASER: this year's theme is connected to some games designed by some of this year's special guests. I'll probably post more spoilers on that in this thread as we get closer.

Each puzzle will solve to an answer, which you'll need to input into an answer-checking app. Doing certain tasks (such as solving specific puzzles correctly) unlocks access to more puzzles.

The app will manage the teams and figure out a winner. Different hunts use different mechanisms to determine a winner, although generally the team that solves the most puzzles has the best chance of winning.

Although all the puzzles this hunt will (probably) be presented on a single sheet of paper, I think this hunt is going to have the widest variety of puzzles in any hunt I've ever played in, let alone organized. The puzzles will require skill in wordplay, arithmetic, logic, observation, board games, geography, secret codes, geometry, pattern recognition, movie trivia, general trivia. Fortunately for you, I allow you to use Google (or almost anything else you can find on the Internet). TIP(!): You might want to bring a laptop or netbook for maximum Internet search efficiency. Certainly my test solvers really found it useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Woo! Can't wait! Also, an internet connected device is required to play in this hunt. One per team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pike
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The annual puzzle hunt is one of my top 3 favorite things at BGG.

Thanks for all your efforts, and I look forward to seeing what you have in store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werewolf Kai Jason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you better off getting a team together before signing up, or can individuals who sign up alone Voltron up together at the Hunt itself to form a team?

mb
mbmb
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Historically, it's depended mostly on how comfortable you are doing this with strangers.

Dave & Aaron have generally tried to match up smaller groups and singletons right before it starts. No guarantee Wei-Hwa will do the same, of course, but it seems likely something will be done. Worst case, you can note on your team sign-up that you'll take strangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
TIP(!): You might want to bring a laptop or netbook for maximum Internet search efficiency. Certainly my test solvers really found it useful.

Be aware that cell service for certain providers is spotty, if not non-existent and the hotel wifi can get overloaded. It's been oft-complained about since we've been at the Hyatt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessi C
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Any way for folks to play remotely? I likely won't be at the con this year. Promise not to spoil anything, or even "compete". Just want to puzzle for fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommend apps or websites that are a good source of puzzles? I have always loved the puzzle hunt and would like to do more but am not sure where to look. I'm pretty novice so I need stuff that's not too difficult to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Woo! Can't wait! Also, an internet connected device is required to play in this hunt. One per team.

At least one per team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking up the mantle this year! It's a highlight experience for many of us, and I definitely appreciate how much work it takes to create and run a hunt...

We always have a large number of participants, ranging from long-time veterans to complete puzzling beginners - it's a great introduction to new folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So realistically, how early do I need to get in line to sign up for this on Friday? I've never done it before, but I'd love to give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who haven't done this before, where and when does signup happen? I'd really like to give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditionally the sign-up sheets are up 24 hours before the event. You should not have to stand in line for this, although for the first few minutes people might have to wait while others finish registering their teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sign up for this event doesn't follow the norm for 2 reasons. First they don't put a limit on participation and second they need to know how many are participating so that they can produce enough packets for everyone. Because of that, sign ups are available immediately when the con starts. I don't know when sign ups close though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nomad wrote:
Any recommend apps or websites that are a good source of puzzles? I have always loved the puzzle hunt and would like to do more but am not sure where to look. I'm pretty novice so I need stuff that's not too difficult to start with.

A pretty good place is Puzzled Pint:

http://www.puzzledpint.com/

Every month, they run a little puzzle hunt in some bar in many cities around the country. But all of their past puzzles and solutions are available! The puzzles in Puzzled Pint I would say are rather average in difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
So realistically, how early do I need to get in line to sign up for this on Friday? I've never done it before, but I'd love to give it a try!

The past ones haven't had an issue and even always had people join in last minute and fill in on teams that have had less than 4 people - don't know if that will continue though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The name of the Puzzle Hunt is "The Big Global Game".

All teams will receive a World Map, which I've just uploaded:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now uploaded the instructions for the hunt here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwXGC8wDbipUUlBYZFNCTmFuMD...

I recommend anyone who can, to read them before the main event -- that will leave you more time for puzzle-solving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm looking more closely at the schedule, and here's what I'm thinking:

You're here to solve puzzles. You aren't here to read instructions, stand in line, or learn which team won and is getting prizes. So, the schedule says 2-4pm Puzzle Hunt, let's make 2-4pm the Puzzle Hunt.

I'm going to say that people can arrive as early as 1:30pm to pick up a starting puzzle packet and register. The puzzle-solving starts at 2pm sharp, if you're still registering a team at the time, well, you're just a bit late to begin.

At 4pm sharp, the puzzle hunt ends. We look at the scores, announce the winning team, they get a prize. You can continue solving if you want, and you can pick up the puzzles you missed, but we gotta get out of the room by maybe 4:30 so as not to be in the way of the 5pm panel.

Anyone want to tell me this is a bad idea? Please tell me soon, before I start making up the sign-up sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds ok to me. Keep in mind that the program and signs have already been printed saying that the puzzle hunt starts at 2pm. We'll make a large obvious note on the sign-up sheet saying that teams can register early starting at 1:30 and that puzzle solving begins at 2:00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A suggestion. If the special screen on the app can show you a team name/number, you can have the desks with the puzzle packets cross the number off a list so teams can't even accidentally get double packets, to avoid running into trouble. Of course if that's too onerous for the people handing out the a let's, then never mind. Not sure how busy those tables can get.

Thanks for running this Wei-Hwa. The puzzle hunt has definitely become one of the highlights of the con for me (and others ), so I'm very glad we do have one this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.