GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,777 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

PitchCar» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fix 1st player advantage AND deciding player order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
The issues to fix:

-The player in the lead in PitchCar always has the advantage of having clear shots. So, starting in the lead is a big advantage. Of course, this is a race game, so playing first is already an advantage--you usually have one more turn than most other players at any moment! So going first is a double advantage!

-The designer tried to fix this by introducing the "qualifying lap", so that the player who starts in the lead "deserved it", but that's super boring and time consuming. Nobody likes the qualifying lap.

The fix:

-Determine player order completely randomly--dice, whatever. No qualifying lap.

-At the start of the game, the players start with their car in their hands, not on the track.

-The first player, when taking their first shot, places their car 7 car-lengths backward from the starting line. Then they take their shot.

-After the first player has played their shot, the second player places their car 6 car-lengths backward from the starting line. Then they take their shot.

-The next player places their car 5 car-lengths backward from the starting line, and so on.

The reasoning:

-The first player gets to go first, so that's nice, BUT they have a longer distance to travel to get to the first turn. So that's a downside.

-The later players don't get to go first, so that's lame, BUT since they're closer to the first turn, they probably have a much better angle available to cut in front of the earlier players.

-I find that this results in all of the cars getting scrambled as soon as they reach the first turn (unlike in the normal rules, where the player order is...pretty much preserved, in general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.. Interesting idea. I like it!

I also tend to have very complicated tracks so no one tends to have any advantage. hahahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Inkiläinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of qualifying lap, try qualifying shot. I've had good results with one to three shot qualifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
visard wrote:
Instead of qualifying lap, try qualifying shot. I've had good results with one to three shot qualifications.

Same here. We don't do a qualifying lap either. We go for one qualifying shot and that sets the starting grid.

However, it's difficult to maintain the leader position as we're all decent pitchcar players. You'll generally have all others breathing down your neck the entire race waiting for the first player to make a mistake.

Much like in an actual race I realize all of a sudden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been that the extensions help fix this by creating much more difficult shots. You combine jumps and chicanes along with multiple laps, it becomes nearly impossible to run the perfect race. Therefore, you get multiple lead changes and more fun!

More $$$$ please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.