Popular Tags: storage [+] gameroom_or_storage [+] [View All]
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The what is your play space? thread got me thinking. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/166601)

I'm moving into a house from our craptastic apartment in 30d and I get to have a room for my game habit. (go me)

What do you guys use/recommend as a good gaming setup?

We have a formal dining room downstairs (gf won't like that choice) or a spare bedroom I will be able to use for my nefarious purposes.

Teach me o home-dwelling nerds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need are shelves, table(s), chairs, games, people although I think you'll have to take care of the last two.

I have two built in sets of shelves and three other book shelves all full of games. The latest ones were purchased at Lowes for about $100 each but are very nice wooden shelves that I will be staining soon. I also have four tables and a bunch of nice, padded folding chairs. The main table is a nice 3'x6' oak library table that I picked up used for $50. The others are folding tables. Two of them are pretty heavy duty and are readily available at Costco, Lowes, Target, Home Depot etc. One is 6'x2.5' and the other is 4'x2.5'. Both are nice and sturdy. The larger table generally goes for about $50 and the smaller one around $40. The last table is an old square card table. The chairs I picked up at Costco for $16 each. It's also nice to have a basement but I guess that kind of depends on where you live since they tend to not be too common in some parts of the country.

In terms of space, I'd say stick with the spare room. That way you could leave a really long game setup over a weekend or whatever without getting in the way. I'd also recommend trying to get two smaller compatible tables in the room rather than one large one. You have more options that way. You can have two different games going comfortably at once or combine the two tables into one big table for a larger game. It just gives you more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend that you take the spare bedroom option.

Mandatory:

1. Get a good-sized table, like one of those round one that can be stretched out with two insertable leaves.

2. Get comfy chairs, ones with padded seats and arms... ideally maybe you could get a set of used office chairs, with wheels on the bottom.

3. Ideally, your lighting would be hanging over the table with a bright bulb and a gently sloping shade around it, to focus a lot of light on the table without blinding your players. Alternatively, if you have a white ceiling, you could get one of those standing lamps that points its light up at the ceiling to give bright ambient lighting. Or maybe you could get one of those ceiling fans with a light on the bottom.

Optional:

4. Set up some shelving for game storage, unless that spare bedroom has a closet with decent shelving.

5. Get one of those mini-fridges for beverages, unless you are uptight about people spilling.

6. If your group has compatible tastes in music, you might want to set up a stereo or a boom box in the room. My computer is in the same room as my gaming stuff, so I have all my favorite stuff loaded into the jukebox software, with different playlists for different styles of games. Creepy low-key horror movie soundtracks for when we're playing horror-type games, old jazz music for Arkham Horror, and gothic-industrial music for games of Jyhad or Prince of the City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store all of my games on shelves (Billy-Ikea)in a spare room on the third level(finished attic). The room is multi-purpose, as I also have my sewing and cross-stitch stash in there, as well as a TV and futon and folding table. It does get used as a guest bedroom when we have overnight guests (fold up the table, fold down the futon).

When we play games we play them in the diningroom. The table is bigger and the chairs more comfortable, it's closer to the kitchen(snacks and drinks) and roomier and more pleasant when we have people over for a gaming session. I have to carry the games up and down 2 flights of stairs but that's no big deal.

So you don't have to play your games in the same room you store them. If you are going to take over the spare bedroom, will you ever have to use that room as a guest bedroom? If so you may have to have a bed in their instead of a table.

Another thing to consider is noise level if you have kids. If you plan on gaming after the kids go to bed you might want to be away from the kids room.

I guess it all depends on the layout of your house and your situation.

Have fun setting it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We remodeled our basement and I claimed it as my gameroom! Three bookshelves from Ikea (plus a coffee table with space for more games!), two folding tables (5' x 8') from Walmart, one traditional cardtable, and four folding chairs. Add foosball table, keyboard and guitars, one PS2, and, behold, a gameroom!

In this pic, we have Memoir '44 on the card table, and Heroscape on one of the Walmart folding tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy smokes...some of these game room set-ups sound nice.

Am I the only one out there that has such a small living quarters that I am forced to play games on the dining room table only?

I am definitely green with envy...

How I pine for a basement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I play mostly on our kitchen table, and the games are on shelves in my study. I did set up the study in such a way as to have half a big desk to leave a game set up on, if I want to explore how a game works solo, or something.

I do play boardgames at a bridge club once an month, they have lots of little plastic tables setup beside the card tables, to hold drinks and munchies and suchlike, so drink spill doesn't hurt the game. This is excellent for board games.

I think if you look in the forums you'll find a few more threads, some with great pics, of people's game rooms. From them I really like the idea of putting board or box cover copies up on the walls as art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a homemade poker table/gaming table. It's an 82" x 42" oval made of MDF screwed to a 6' long standard folding table, available from Staples, etc.

Staple gun some quilt batting over that, then green velveteen (the original felt napped up to quick). If I had to do it again, I would have used some type of high density foam under the velveteen.

Total Cost: less than $100.

I'm slowly building a collection of used office chairs.
Now I only have to use the original folding chairs for games with more than 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I've got:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/958639#958639
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! A dedicated room at home. That would be nice. Our group doesn’t have that, but you might pick up something from our experiences. Here are some location & set-up considerations:

Location: On occasion we will meet at someone’s home and the dining room table suffices. If your group is small enough I would certainly go for the spare room. We meet monthly in one of our Church’s classrooms. This is ideal for larger groups (ours is typically 5-10 people). we set up numerous round tables and get a number of games going. You could also check with local libraries or community/rec centers for available rooms.

Set up (room, not game): Background music: We typically have the music going. It adds a lot to the mood. Food table: You got to have a side-table for your coffee, soft drinks, cookies, chips, sushi, more coffee. The idea of a fridge in the room is awesome. Restroom: near by so you can get back before the others change the game on you. Door to the outside: so you can stretch & run around the building during one of those 6 hour epics (doubles as a near by restroom). Chart: with stats like games played history, game ratings, etc. Furniture: round tables are great, as are comfy chairs – if you can get them with cup holders, all the better. Lighting: bright.

Hope this helps. One last tip: Don’t forget to leave your new game room once in a while to, you know, hug the gf, walk the dog, go to work…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small gaming room mostly for solitare gaming as the room is really small. For ftf gaming, i take over the kitchen or living room table. As for my gaming room, it contains a single large long shelf, with a hinged table supported buy chains from the wall. If i need to make room, i unhook the chains and let the table top fold down against the wall. It also contains a small desk for computer and 3 axis flags on the wall for effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More information:

We're buying a 3br 2 1/2 bath, the bedrooms are upstairs and the formal dining room is downstairs immediately adjacent to a super awesome kitchen. We're setting up the 2nd bedroom to be a guest bedroom and the 3rd is more or less mine to ruin.

We have no children, though that may change soon. ninja

What will probably end up happening is the games will be upstairs and the playing will occur downstairs. What I would like to happen is to have a supremely badass game room all to myself sort of like chad's. arrrh

I do like the idea of making my own gaming table for extra awesomeness, I like the velveteen/foam/mdf idea. I might steal that.

I also hope to have my Hilinski crokinole board (which should be here soon) and a chess board set up semi permanently in there as well.

I can't resist, I'm like a proud papa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Nice place! Can I come over and play some games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls