14 Posts

Blueprints» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unplayable dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are no dice in the demand pool on my turn what do I do? Pick one die and discard it? The rules say that after each player has placed 6 dice the round ends. I'm just confused on what to do if no dice play. Do you end up with less than 6 on your building?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's simply not possible. Make sure to look up the rules, the starting number of dice depends on the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't never have no dice in the dicepool if it's your turn. As Julien stated, you start with a different number of dices at the start of a round depending on the number of players.

And each time after a player took a die he picks one in secret from the bag and rolls that one as well.

And if there are no dice in the pool how would you pick one and discard it? Or do you mean there are no dice you want in the pool? You still have to take one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putzmanrudy1 wrote:
If there are no dice in the demand pool on my turn what do I do? Pick one die and discard it? The rules say that after each player has placed 6 dice the round ends. I'm just confused on what to do if no dice play. Do you end up with less than 6 on your building?

Because you say "Pick one die and discard it?" you must mean "If on my turn there are no dice in the demand pool that I can use".
Your answer is correct: Pick one die and discard it. Your building will have less than 6 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That I can use is what I meant. The rules stated that if you cannot legitimately place a dice it is removed from play. Further in the rules it says that after each player has drawn and placed 6 dice, reveal all of the buildings and score them. So when people say your building will have less than 6 dice it seems to conflict with that statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Putzmanrudy1 wrote:
That I can use is what I meant. The rules stated that if you cannot legitimately place a dice it is removed from play. Further in the rules it says that after each player has drawn and placed 6 dice, reveal all of the buildings and score them. So when people say your building will have less than 6 dice it seems to conflict with that statement.

There isn't really a problem. After 6 rounds, every player reveal buildings and blueprints. Having placed only 5 or 4 dice doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Putzmanrudy1 wrote:

There isn't really a problem. After 6 rounds, every player reveal buildings and blueprints. Having placed only 5 or 4 dice doesn't matter.

It can be a problem depending on how a building goes up. The Contingency Plan for such cases was briefly mentioned, but only partially. You do lose a turn if you can't make a draft and place it on your building, but you are NOT forced to go to building scoring after Turn 12, 18, or 24. People that have 6 dice on the building automatically pass as the last player tries to finish their building. To directly quote the rulebook:

On turns that a player cannot draft a die:
Quote:
If you cannot legitimately place a die, it is removed from play.

How a round ends:
Quote:
After each player has drawn and placed 6 dice, reveal all buildings and score them

Proposed rule for people that "Roll like Wheton": Keep track of the dice discarded in the round. If someone discards 3 dice in a round, remove all dice from the pool, reseed the bag with the dice in the pool and the discarded dice, and draw dice until you hit the proper amount needed or close to it (8, 9, 7, in ascending player counts). How does that sound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm confused. Are we talking about a variant here?

The round ends after each player has drafted 6 dice, doesn't matter if someone didn't place them all.
That's part of the game and the gamble. Would be just too easy to dismiss the dice until you get the right one. You took a risk? Well sometimes it doesn't pay off and you end up with only 5 dice for your building. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quotes from the rules:

On turns that a player cannot draft a die:
...If you cannot legitimately place a die, it is removed from play.

This part of the rules is corect. You always draft a die.

How a round ends:
After each player has drawn and placed 6 dice, reveal all buildings and score them.

Here is the problem in the rules. It should have read:
After each player has drawn and placed 6 dice, reveal all buildings and score them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the designer is a user, I have send him a geekmail, let's hope he drops by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The round ends once all players have drafted 6 dice. It's possible to be in a position where you can't place any dice -- in that case, you draft and discard a die. Your building will have fewer than 6 dice in it.

Yves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Yves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yves Tourigny wrote:
The round ends once all players have drafted 6 dice. It's possible to be in a position where you can't place any dice -- in that case, you draft and discard a die. Your building will have fewer than 6 dice in it.

Yves

Good to know, but yeah, rulebook does allow for it to be interpereted as I have, in later readings of it. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. And yeah, the last bit was a proposed variant that I will cancel now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.