Magic Realm Light 30» Forums » Rules

Subject: Magic Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Garrison
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! This is a fantastic implementation and I'm having a ball with it!

I have some questions about magic:

1) If you've been blocked from performing your remaining Daylight actions, could you still cast an appropriate spell during the Daylight phase? Persuade would seem especially useful.

2) Speaking of Persuade, it says you can try to hire a placated Giant or Ogre the next day, but the spell ends the next day at the start of Evening. I assume a hired Giant or Ogre would not suddenly betray and attack you?

3) To cast a spell you need both an active Magic chit (which becomes fatigued by the casting) and a separate source of magic power. Some items can be used as a Magic chit (but these do *not* fatigue) though they can only be used as a magic chit for the purposes of activating their own spells. (Possible exception: Dragonfang Necklace. See next item.)

4) If I'm understanding it correctly, it seems the Dragonfang Necklace is basically like the Book of Lore and Enchanter's Skull, except it has only a single, pre-determined "Dragon-Slave" spell. Is that a valid way to look at it? Or can it also be used as a Magic 0 chit for helping to cast *any* spell that your character has learned? (Actually learned, not just having access to through an item.) The text seems to imply both.

5) The rules make the "Enchant the region" procedure sound like you're casting a spell: You need an active magic chit, and a power source. So basically the Alchemist knows 2 starting spells: 1 of their choice, and "Enchant Region" - a very useful spell that is not found as treasure. Does this seem right? Well, I guess not exactly, since it requires an Enchant action and no other spells take up an entire Daylight action to perform. And being blocked would prevent enchanting a region (or chit, for that matter) whereas being blocked may not prevent any other spell. So maybe enchanting a region is better seen as a special ability rather than a spell. Or just an extra magical option in general. Dunno.

6) Since only the Alchemist has Magic chits to enchant, they are the only one who can use such chits as a power source. So non-Alchemist characters can only use magic if they have a treasure that can be used as a chit, they have Awakened a power within it, *and* even then they could only use it during days 7, 14, and 21. (Since the character can't enchant chits or regions to be power sources.)

7) Is it right that a single Enchant action can be used to provide an endless source of magical power to a region for the rest of the game!? That seems pretty powerful. Not only does that free up a lot of Magic chits for the Alchemist, anyone with a "Magic 0 chit" treasure could just use its powers endlessly.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything. This is a fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmb
Spellcasting has always sounded more complicated in the rules than it actually is during play. My answers will probably create more questions so ask away! Specific spell questions will be easier to answer and once you start understanding how a few spells work then most of the others will work the same way.

1. You only cast spells during the Evening, never during Daylight or any other phase. That was probably the most difficult part for me to understand. Some spells don't take effect until later though or they can have a lasting effect. Enchanting is a daylight action that is not the same as casting a spell. You can only enchant tiles (flipping them) or your own Magic chits of types I-V (flipping them too).

2. Correct. Once hired the Giant or Ogre will not betray you, nor will any other hireling.

3. You need three things to cast a spell: The spell, the type, and the color. Some items like the Dragonfang Necklace provide both the spell and the type.

4. Your first assumption is correct. It cannot be used to cast another spell as a Magic 0 chit.

5. Is the Alchemist an alternate character or are you talking about the Magician? I don't understand the question.

6. Again I don't understand the question. Most characters that can use magic have Magic chits that they can enchant. The Woods Girl does not as you can't enchant Type VII chits.

7. Once a Tile is enchanted and flipped to its color side then yes it does provide an endless source of power for the rest of the game or until you or someone else enchants it again and flips it back to its green side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Garrison
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

I think the confusion might be from the fact that I'm talking about Magic Realm Light 30. It seems you're talking about the full, proper Magic Realm game.

Still, this all helps. So thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmb
Sadly, this isn't the first time that's happened as I subscribe to both games! blushshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And even funnier is that most of the answers GodRob provided are entirely correct! I suppose that's not so strange considering that MRL30 is based off big MR.

1) GodRob has it correct. You only cast spells in the Evening. So the Persuade spell is cast in the Evening, and if you cast it fast enough, you can placate Ogres and Giants just before they squish you. They are then considered Friendly till the Evening of the next Day.

2) GodRob has it correct again. Once hired, Giants and Ogres will not betray you.

3) GodRob is correct. Three things to cast a spell - the Spell, the Magic Chit and the Magic power source. GodRob calls it "Color" because in Big MR, there are 5 Colors (Types) of magic, each with their own type of power source. Think "Magic: The Gathering".

4) Yeap, you can look at the Dragonfang Necklace as a Magic 0 chit that can only cast a "Dragon-Slave" spell, and not any other spell.

5) "Enchant the region" is really a Action, not a Spell, although it certainly sounds like one. As such, you perform it during the Day, likely to power up your Spell in the Evening.

6) You got that right.

7) Well, it's just like that in Big MR Not only that, in Big MR, enchanting a region also sometimes opens up secret passages, closes off other passages, etc. Used wisely, it's one of the most powerful actions in the game, which makes you realise why this game is called "MAGIC Realm"!

Now, saying all that, I highly recommend you take a look at the "Magic Realm Light 30 Asterisk Expansion". It introduces a few more interesting things for Magic-users:

A) A new character the "Woods Maiden", who can cast a new Spell "Control Bats" which works like "Persuade", but on Bats!

B) A new location the "Chapel" which radiates magic as if the whole region is already enchanted.

C) A new Action the "Alert" action, which allows you to temporarily turn one of your Magic Chits into a "Magic 0" chit. Imagine preparing an Instant Fiery Blast with that!

Happy adventuring in the Realm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.