GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: just bought... questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I am sure this has been asked some, and ive already looked around, but I'm hoping for a clear answer. Anyways this game had been semi on my radar for awhile but it was out of print for a little while and then it was a little pricey for my tastes, but it just went on sale on coolstuffinc at a price where I decided to finally buy, I had no idea about the new edition about to be released... so I now find myself wondering if I made a bad choice

the basic main point to the question, is that ive seen the list of differences, mostly just seems that certain things are better looking, and supposedly the rulebook in the older one is "bad" , there was also something I saw about card errata? so basically I'm just wondering if the game I bought, I bought it with the expansion as well, is playable as is? will I be able to learn from this rulebook? are there really cards in the game that are just plain wrong or just worded weird? I have also heard about an upgrade pack, what does that include? etc. basically I just wanna know what should be my next move and what is really needed between the older version and this new version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you bought is rated very highly on BGG. It is perfectly playable as is (I am biased, perhaps - it is one of the few games I rate at 10). I found the rule book to be fine after watching Ricky Royal's play-through.

If you want the new rule book, it is available from Portal. The upgrade pack includes the new rule book, the new wooden bits, and maybe some new tokens? Check the Portal website.

I have not had any difficulty interpreting any of the cards. The game is very thematic and I have found that resolving any issues on-the-spot in a way that makes thematic sense usually turns out, after consulting the rules more carefully, to be the correct way.

I hope you enjoy all that awaits you. The event deck will have you cringing soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you have a Z-man games edition. The game is highly playable. You can download the new manual for free and most improvements and differences that you see on that list are versus the original Portal English release.

When you compare the new game against the Z-Man games release the main thing is the beter manual and a few changes in the wording on the cards. The other things (game components, box art) is purely cosmetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, don't regret the purchase. The rulebook isn't great. In fact, it's pretty bad. You'll be able to play, but will probably need to reference the FAQs on BGG for specific situations that come up in play not covered in the rules. I haven't looked at the new rulebook, but I'd suggest getting it. I'm sure it'll be better. Don't psych yourself out though, as another response already mentioned, it's a very highly rated game, a favorite of many people, as is, so you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, my recommendation would be to read (at least twice) and stick to the new rulebook which answers most (if not all) questions of the Comprehensive FAQ of the game.
You just bought a great game so don't be mad about it, you will certainly enjoy playing Robinson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw away your old rules, print out these: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137303/robinson-crusoe-20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man is the version I have-never been able to figure out how to play it from that rulebook....everything else (forums) just seems like so much guessing or 'what is thematic' (also guessing)....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost in the same boat as you. I oddly enough never heard of the game until it went on sale on coolstuff. I looked it up and thought i have to have it. But i did see a different version of the game and held off. I may be the only one but i say, try to return it or sell it on ebay and buy the newer better version. I only say this though because im very particular about things that i want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I think Watch It Played is doing a rules video for 2nd edition do you think that video can be used to learn the Z-MAN edition of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can always buy the upgrade kit when it comes out if you want some fancier components and a copy of the new rulebook without wasting your own ink and paper. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1642775/robinson-crusoe-upg...

Jessiah wrote:
I think Watch It Played is doing a rules video for 2nd edition do you think that video can be used to learn the Z-MAN edition of the game

Yes, it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.