Subject: Why I removed my real name. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ever since I joined BGG I had my real name displayed on my profile. I was proud to be a member and my name being attached meant something important to me, but recently I had an experience that has caused me to remove my name and I wanted to share this with everyone so they can avoid the same mistake.

Last month I went to Essen. I had pre-ordered the game Lorenzo Il Magnifico. I decided beforehand to create a Geeklist of 2016 games I was looking forward to and mentioned I had pre-ordered it. When I showed up to the booth to pickup my copy of the game, my name had already been scratched off. I'm not sure if this was a simple mistake of mishearing someone's name but I had a bad feeling in my stomach that someone saw my list, saw my name, and went and claimed my pre-order. Luckily for me I was able to still get my copy (with a bit of understandable hesitation from booth operator), but I wonder if someone basically managed to steal a pre-order this way.

Granted if I was running a booth I would check IDs to make sure I had the right person, but I also understand it's a really busy event and it's easy to make mistakes. I really want to be able to post to Geeklists in order to show my excitement for the games I plan on getting (with the hopes of other users posting comments about their excitement), but I don't want this situation to happen again.

So warning to all. Either don't have your name visible or be careful about announcing which games you have preordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think it is a good move for whatever reason. There is a lot of identity theft out there. Yours is a relatively minor example. I know of cases where people have had their house sold out from under them.

Wherever possible, including here, I do not use my real name. If it was John Smith, Vinh Nguyen or Li Chen it probably wouldn't bother me so much. Not saying it isn't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
badge
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought of things like that to happen. You made me remove my real name. I guess you can never be to careful on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
halogen64 wrote:
Ever since I joined BGG I had my real name displayed on my profile. I was proud to be a member and my name being attached meant something important to me, but recently I had an experience that has caused me to remove my name and I wanted to share this with everyone so they can avoid the same mistake.

Last month I went to Essen. I had pre-ordered the game Lorenzo Il Magnifico. I decided beforehand to create a Geeklist of 2016 games I was looking forward to and mentioned I had pre-ordered it. When I showed up to the booth to pickup my copy of the game, my name had already been scratched off. I'm not sure if this was a simple mistake of mishearing someone's name but I had a bad feeling in my stomach that someone saw my list, saw my name, and went and claimed my pre-order. Luckily for me I was able to still get my copy (with a bit of understandable hesitation from booth operator), but I wonder if someone basically managed to steal a pre-order this way.

Granted if I was running a booth I would check IDs to make sure I had the right person, but I also understand it's a really busy event and it's easy to make mistakes. I really want to be able to post to Geeklists in order to show my excitement for the games I plan on getting (with the hopes of other users posting comments about their excitement), but I don't want this situation to happen again.

So warning to all. Either don't have your name visible or be careful about announcing which games you have preordered.
I would just say the latter is all you need to do. If they do not know what games you have ordered it means just going up to a trader and randomly asking for a game.

The trader will tell them to sod off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to think that the BGG community is trust worthy and this is an innocent mistake, maybe the person giving out pre-orders crossed the wrong name off, or maybe not.
Either way your personal info is more important and you need to do what ever you need to to make yourself feel safe on the Internet.
Look at my fake name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
I'd like to think that the BGG community is trust worthy

Everyone with internet access can view your full profile, every photo, thread, reply, geeklist, review, session report, comment... anything you have ever done on the geek. They don't even need to take the time to make an account.

You are not trusting the BGG community. You are trusting the entire world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:

Everyone with internet access can view your full profile, every photo, thread, reply, geeklist, review, session report, comment... anything you have ever done on the geek. They don't even need to take the time to make an account.

Yes I agree, but what I was saying was it might have been a mistake, as who would go to all that effort to steal a game that's not worth much.

Stealing your identity is another subject altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:

Yes I agree, but what I was saying was it might have been a mistake, as who would go to all that effort to steal a game that's not worth much.

From the story I am assuming they had to still pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and my name being attached meant something important to me
I don't get this part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:

A pre-order is already paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:

A pre-order is already paid for.
Ahhh, the only stuff I have "pre-orderd" (miniatures) I have paid for on pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that this happened and I would advise caution when sharing personal details online.

This said it doesn't seem as probable as the seller simply accidentally ticking off the wrong name.

Put simply ID should be required when collecting pre-purchased items, this protects both the seller and buyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was online before there was a World Wide Web (what most folks think of as "the internet"), and quickly heard stories, and the early security recommendations, and have never used my real name online.

I've always gone with the same joke name that I'd given to the phone company so that I could have an effectively unlisted number (remember those?) without paying the extra fees. (I told people I knew that my number was hidden in the phone book "just in case" they forgot it and needed to look me up, and they always remembered the joke even if they forgot the number!)

As an amusing side benefit, I've gotten so used to the joke name that I smoothly and comfortably use it in any public situation that I consider does not require my real name (which folks here in the US have a very hard time pronouncing anyway), and something like a page of "Table ready for Case" will immediately get my attention.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

I was online before there was a World Wide Web (what most folks think of as "the internet"), and quickly heard stories, and the early security recommendations, and have never used my real name online.

I've always gone with the same joke name that I'd given to the phone company so that I could have an effectively unlisted number (remember those?) without paying the extra fees. (I told people I knew that my number was hidden in the phone book "just in case" they forgot it and needed to look me up, and they always remembered the joke even if they forgot the number!)

As an amusing side benefit, I've gotten so used to the joke name that I smoothly and comfortably use it in any public situation that I consider does not require my real name (which folks here in the US have a very hard time pronouncing anyway), and something like a page of "Table ready for Case" will immediately get my attention.
Getting into the habit of using your fake name so easily seems like it could lead to some problems. Have you ever given your fake name when you should have used your real name? Actually, you should consider changing your surname to Case. You know... just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
This said it doesn't seem as probable as the seller simply accidentally ticking off the wrong name.

I don't exactly have a common name and none of the other names on the sheet were marked. On top of that it wasn't a little check, my entire name had been crossed off. Seems like a pretty significant mistake to make which is why I thought there might be some foul play.

EDIT: and by not having a common name, I mean most other names don't sound or look anything like mine, and none of the names around my name on the sheet resembled my name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

Usenet, CompuServe, IRC, the early BBS systems - I was on all of them using my real name - never had a problem.

My wife says it's because nobody wants to be me anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
I don't get this part.

My attempt at un-asked-for editing on behalf of the OP and your confusion:
halogen64 might have wrote:
I was proud to be a member of BGG and therefore, having my real name being attached to my visible account was something that was important to me

ugh. That's why I was not an English major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
I don't get this part.

I was proud to be a member of BGG and therefore, having my real name being attached to my visible account was something that was important to me

Yeah, that doesn't clear anything up though. I don't understand why it is important to publicly announce who you are. I wouldn't get anything out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had actually thought of changing mine before this, but because I fear the scenario you gave. Just for fun. My name is so odd it looks like a typo.

I guess I'm confused about how you changed the name on your account. Can we simply edit that on our account? Where do we change it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
SpaceAlien wrote:
I had actually thought of changing mine before this, but because I fear the scenario you gave. Just for fun. My name is so odd it looks like a typo.

I guess I'm confused about how you changed the name on your account. Can we simply edit that on our account? Where do we change it?

You can change your screen name (in your case, Val Ofiesh) by editing your profile - click on your own user name to see your profile, then, quite un-intuitively, click the pencil next to User Details, not User Profile (which is the part that actually shows your screen name...), which gets you to a screen named Contact Information.

You cannot change your user name, which is what you log in as (in your case SpaceAlien).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Hoya wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
I don't get this part.

Yeah, that doesn't clear anything up though. I don't understand why it is important to publicly announce who you are. I wouldn't get anything out of it.

A lot of my hobbies got me made fun of growing up (origami, programming, etc.). I spent a lot of time hiding my hobbies or being ashamed. Eventually I grew up and tried to learn to accept myself. I took those things I felt made me unique and wore them as badges proudly. That was the original impetus for me having my name on here. I feel like board games really represent who I am at this point in my life.

Hopefully that does enough to explain it. You might not agree, but everyone operates differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
halogen64 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Hoya wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
I don't get this part.

A lot of my hobbies got me made fun of growing up (origami, programming, etc.). I spent a lot of time hiding my hobbies or being ashamed. Eventually I grew up and tried to learn to accept myself. I took those things I felt made me unique and wore them as badges proudly. That was the original impetus for me having my name on here. I feel like board games really represent who I am at this point in my life.

Hopefully that does enough to explain it. You might not agree, but everyone operates differently.

This makes sense to me, but remember that you can also learn to identify with an assumed name, as Justin clearly has. Think of it, if you will, as a stage name. After all, no one thinks less of John Wayne because that was not his real name. His acting ability - now that's another matter devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
halogen64 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Hoya wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
I don't get this part.

Sounds like an ego thing. I try to avoid "pride" because it almost always leads to bad outcomes (judging, feelings of superiority, exclusion, persecution, etc.) Just be who you are and don't worry what other people think of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
halogen64 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Hoya wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
I don't get this part.

ugh. That's why I was not an English major. :)

Sounds like an ego thing. I try to avoid "pride" because it almost always leads to bad outcomes (judging, feelings of superiority, exclusion, persecution, etc.) Just be who you are and don't worry what other people think of you.
Or do what I do, take what you do less seriously (in public) then they do.

I am not a wargamer, I play with toy solders
I am not a boardgamer I play with kids toys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a good idea. I haven't removed mine yet but I did shorten my last name down to the initial a while ago. But I've used the same username elsewhere many times under my real name so it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out the rest.

I've always had a phobia about having an online presence but I kind of had to get over that for my (somewhat public) job. My dissertation is out there for all the world to see, which is kind of like being dissected live due to how much blood, sweat, and tears went into that thing.

Luckily I'm way boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.