Subject: First playthrough - lots of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ali S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group of six had their first (incomplete) playthrough of Aye today, which resulted in a lot of questions, I'm hoping to get some clarity here from the designer/publisher?

COINS
- all players start game with ONE coin, and the captain starts with all rest, is that right? The captain can then choose to divvy more coins to certain pirates?
- The captain can, during orders phase, give coins to pirates when commands are issued? Can coins be given after this, to affect the vote, or only when issuing orders?
- Anytime coins are paid (e.g., to change outcome of trident roll, or spent by the hook-receiving player for a success), do coins ALWAYS go into the Poseidon corner?
- how/when do coins come out of the Poseidon corner?
- when the captain changes, do any coins in old captain's possession go to the NEW captain?

- if any pirate succeeds on a mission, does he/she always go up +1 on rep, whether they voted AYE or ARGH on the captain's command?
- if any pirate fails a mission, does their rep always go down -1?
- if the pirate voted AYE and they succeed or fail a mission, does the captain's rep also go up or down?

RULES
- have you an updated PDF of the English version of the rules available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For pirates that vote ARGH...

- the captain's rep goes down -1 for EACH ARGH pirate?
- pirate can choose whatever mission he/she would like, even if the mission tile isn't available? (e.g., another pirate was assigned the hook order tile, but the ARGH pirate wants the same)
- if they succeed/fail the mission, does the ARGH-voting pirate's rep go up/down?
- ARGH dice: if there are three ARGH pirates, can each one use 1-4 of the ARGH dice on their mission, or must the four ARGH dice be split up between the pirates? What if there are five ARGH pirates in a single round?

RESOLVING ORDERS
- in what order are orders resolved, clockwise around the table, or in priority of orders? If the second, what's the priority?

SHIP REPAIR
- the single red "repair" order can be used by a pirate to repair the ship; when spending 1-3 coins, the ship is repaired by that amount and the pirate's rep goes up by same amount?
- doe the "gear" missions, when completed, also effect ship repair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Velásquez
Colombia
Bogota
Bogota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Hope I can clarify your questions:

Coins:

- The captain only gives coins to other pirates at the beginning of the game. After distributing the coins (each pirate must end with at least 1), he will no longer give coins to other pirates. Not even in moutinies.

- all payments go to Poseidon's offerings.

- You can only take coins from Poseidon's offerings by raising your rep from 6 to 1, or by playing the special effects of cards that have been already accomplished (discarding the card).

- yes, it doesnt matter if the player votes aye or argh

- yes as well.

- the captain's rep goes down if the player that voted aye fails the mission. But it does no goes up if he succeds.

Rules

No, but we will make a FAQ with these questions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Velásquez
Colombia
Bogota
Bogota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
- yes, it goes down for each Argh

- yes, he is free to choose any action, except for completed missions.

- yes, it goes down or up normally.

- the Argh dice are distributed in each mission. If four players have argh and are attempting the same mission, each one gets one. But if another player has Argh but is attempting another mission, he can choose again to get from 1 to 4. If 5 players have argh for the same mission, one gets no dice.

Orders: are resolved in the order described in the top of the board.

Ship repair:
- yes, that's right.

- ig by gear you mean the ship's wheel ( ), then no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Javier.

I've read through the rules. Think I've got the gist of things so we will definately be looking to arrange a playthrough in the next few weeks. I've passed the rules to my buddy Dan who is a rules guidelines expert, so if he finds anything that deserves better clarification then we will report back to you following the game.

I did notice that in addition to the 7 action tiles (rum, swords, anchor etc) there appears to be a few duplicates for some of the markers. Is there a logical reason for this?

There is a distinct lack of images for "Aye!" on this page. This was reported to me by friends who know that I have picked up the game after we discussed it.

Hopefully your appearance in Spielbox magazine may help to generate some more interest in your games. It was great to see the article with a picture of you in my subscription last month from the Essen Spiel games write up! :-)

Regards,

Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leacy
msg tools
Hi Javier

A few more questions to go with the above.

There is an extra space next to the start space on the ship HP track, does this mean it can go up one like giving armour to the ship?

There is a Goal card which says something like - have your reputation for 2 rounds. What does this mean?

If a member of crew is given a mission but no dice, does that mean they fail the mission?

When a mission is complete, I assume you no longer give out the tile for that mission?

at the start of the game, does the captain get Pirate Goal cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles young
Wales
Swansea
Cymru
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Javier

Picked this up from you at Essen last year (along with pretty much all your games, love Xanadu by the way) and have finally read through the rules and am keen to get it played. Stuart and Dan have pretty much covered my queries that have not already been answered except

If you get the free action bottle of rum card do you also use the Argh Dice?

If you could clarify the outstanding queries it would be most helpful

Regards

Giles

PS you were talking about kickstarting a time travel game and I put my name on your list, any news it sounded very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.