Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, another question about this game. Now that I know I can probably get it played tomorrow I read through the rules and it all seems pretty straightforward. That is, aside from the discard a troop instead of buying a troop. Why would I discard a troop? Is there a limit I missed when I was reading the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no limits to Troops other than no more than one of any type. The only real advantage to discarding a Troop Tile instead of purchasing another Tile would be as a concession made in negotiation. As Gold and Influence are the only commodities that can be traded freely between players, giving up a Troop Tile could be used as an incentive - "I will give up my Stradiots this turn (allowing another player to purchase them on their turn) in exchange for..." After 50+ games, we never saw this happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somewhere I read it could happen if you plan to loose a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland is correct. If you have built up troops but know you want to lead a an army to a loss on purpose you would discard a troop to devalue your chances of winning.

This is a tactic that usually takes place late game when you have no stock in say, Rome but it is clearly high on the City Status Track and you want to bid to lead their army to a major defeat (nobody said Condottiero weren't in it to make a buck and be politically manipulated), thus knocking Rome down two levels on the City Status Track just before Final Scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondoron wrote:
There are no limits to Troops other than no more than one of any type. The only real advantage to discarding a Troop Tile instead of purchasing another Tile would be as a concession made in negotiation. As Gold and Influence are the only commodities that can be traded freely between players, giving up a Troop Tile could be used as an incentive - "I will give up my Stradiots this turn (allowing another player to purchase them on their turn) in exchange for..." After 50+ games, we never saw this happen.

This happened in my first game, but you still have to make sure no other player could scoop it up before the player expecting it gets a turn (or make more complex deals). Nasty game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question; WHEN can you discard a tile? Only as your action or at any time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Question; WHEN can you discard a tile? Only as your action or at any time?
As an action.

As the Mercury edition rules are written, you choose what "Buy a troop tile or treachery card" action. You forgo the option to buy a tile or card; instead, you discard a troop tile (top of p6).

In the original rules, you "buy a tile" and choose to discard a troop tile instead (near bottom left of p3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.