Subject: Multiplayer non-COIN games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had zero luck trying to get my 2-player wargames out other than Sekigahara
People are happy to play multiplayers like COIN, TI3, Maria, Churchill, QMG

Looking for suggestions of other 3+p games
I already know about T&T and Friedrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors (4), Sword of Rome (4-5), Here I Stand (3 or 6), Britannia (4), History of the World (3-6), The Napoleonic Wars (2-5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an Overlord campaign for Memoir which takes 2,4,6 or 8 players. I have not played it myself but reports say it works quite well.

There are some scenarios in Conflict of Heroes which take 3 or more players although this is primarily a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoR and HiS are too rules intensive, Successors too expensive, Memoir too simplistic
I'll check out Britannia, HotW and CoH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
If you don't mind a sci-fi wargame, Space Empires: 4X is great with four.

I haven't tried it, but Peloponnesian War, while primarily a solitaire game, has scenarios for up to six players. The rules not complex at all, but apparently it should be treated as more of an educational activity than a competitive game. I wonder if anyone around here has actually given it a try...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph using the bad-ass team rules, 3+, although I don't think I would do more than 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Se4X is great but most people get turned off by the bookkeeping, even though that's the fun bit
NT was my first wargame, a tab bit too unintuitive and involved rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (second edition) has 3/4 player options although I've never played it like that.

Britannia was mentioned and I highly recommend it, Italia has both 3 and 4 player variants based on the same system.

1812: The Invasion of Canada and 1775: Rebellion fit the mold too.

I'll throw in Gothic Invasion as a fun, light card driven game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also Virgin Queen (It is similar to Here I Stand and playable with 4, 5 or 6), Europe Engulfed (playable with 3), Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) (not exactly a wargame but we play it with 3 ,4 ,5 or 6 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:

Both are really simple to learn and fun. 1812: The Invasion of Canada is a 5 player game but we have played it with 3 (one american, one british, one indian and the canadian militia shared) and with 4 (2 players on each side.) I like 1775: Rebellion a little better but have only played it with 2 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 and Pacific Victory both have 3-player options, although they split one side into two commands, so those two players are each playing half of the side, and win or lose together, which may not be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first to come to mind is The Republic of Rome.
There is also Blackbeard (the original, 1991 version).
Both are OOP now and could prove a bit expensive to find.
Both have a Solo version.

Some in-print recommendations:

Not a Wargame, but a very good game with a war theme that plays very well with 3-5 (and in one evening):
Wings for the Baron (second edition)
Has a solo version (though not nearly as good as the multiplayer).

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game works well multiplayer (3 sounds like a good number, with more players you are forced to pick lower tier team members and will be a bit short on equipment, but you will have fun nevertheless).
You'll be screaming "hand me those mags, I'm out!!", or "meeeedic!", or "I got you covered!".
Bonus is that you can also solo it.

They Come Unseen is good up to 4 people (two subs vs. two destroyers) and games are quick enough you can swap sides and take another shot in one evening.

If you are not against miniature games, there is Tanks: Panther vs Sherman and Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game which work well multiplayer, but will drain you down the rabbit hole of all the expansions etc.

HTH

Edit: while not a wargame and not even having a war themed game, Leaving Earth plays well with up to 5 people as well as solo (to a lesser degree of fun though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

The Lamps Are Going Out can be played with 2, 3 or 4. It has a pretty manageable rules set, plays quite quickly and is a lot of fun, while still giving a plausible feel for the high level decisions facing the combatants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lopez
Luxembourg
Hesperange
Outside the U.S./Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the lighter side of wargaming there is the Quartermaster General series of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster is popular here
RoR was a horror to get started, we couldn't get through setup on a pbem game
Warfighter, unseen, 1812,1775 are on my wishlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of the Commands & Colors games have Epic versions intended for teams of players (I agree on you sentiment on M44).

I also think most of the Age of Sail games (Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Close Action, Flying Colors, etc) can take multiple players.

I have played many multi-player games of Star Fleet Battles and BattleTech back in the day, but those are likely not what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
SoR and HiS are too rules intensive

You should really give Sword of Rome a try. The rules aren't that intensive. Once you get one turn of Action Rounds under your belt, it plays quite quickly. Like any multiplayer wargame, it can suffer from AP if left unchecked, but the mechanics and the individual player goals are very straightforward.

I would recommend this as a starting point before even HIS or VG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anything multiplayer I think lighter fare is the way to go, gives people the time and opportunity to enjoy each others company which is the whole idea of playing with lots of people.

Popular Front, however the expansion is not worth your time in my opinion.
Captain Sonar (game designers, if you're listening, my fondest wish is a version of this for land combat. Someone's the general, there's a quartermaster, a scout, signal corps, etc.)
+1 Napoleon's Triumph a great 2 player game that is seamless as a multiplayer.
Blood Royale
Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace: Liberté.

Have you considered Scythe? ~ 'Another hybrid wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more for you to consider (no comments since I have not played them...yet!):

Days of Ire: Budapest 1956
Secret Weapons of the Third Reich
V-Commandos
AFTERSHOCK: A Humanitarian Crisis Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite wargames, but I would strongly recommend the Pax games, Pax Porfiriana and Pax Pamir. Would also recommend several of Martin Wallace's games, including Byzantium, Liberté, Perikles and Struggle of Empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise, a "space conquest game" for 2-4 set during the Polynesian exploration/expansion into the Pacific. Second edition just out from GMT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgmclay wrote:
Martin Wallace: Liberté.

Have you considered Scythe? ~ 'Another hybrid wargame.

While I love Scythe, it really isn't a wargame. It's a hybrid Euro/Ameritrash. The combat aspect is quite small--I've had many games with only one fight, and some almost with none with low player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Maria; same as Freiedrich system but for 3 players.

nukeu666 wrote:
I have had zero luck trying to get my 2-player wargames out other than Sekigahara
People are happy to play multiplayers like COIN, TI3, Maria, Churchill, QMG

Looking for suggestions of other 3+p games
I already know about T&T and Friedrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.