GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some card(s) like Apprentice Craftsman (113 a) give you something before taking an action.

Since this card gives you a mountain resource, what if you have no resources but want to take a crafting action requiring a wood? Would you be allowed to choose the impossible action (because you don't have wood yet), but before the action actually activates, draw the wood and use it to pay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played AFFO yet, but most of the time there is something in the rules that says you can do this. Usually you have to meet the requirement to do an action in games.
if it does not specifically say you are able to use newly gained resources to take the current action, it is best NOT to infer this from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
colemunrochitty wrote:
I have not played AFFO yet, but most of the time there is something in the rules that says you can do this. Usually you have to meet the requirement to do an action in games.
if it does not specifically say you are able to use newly gained resources to take the current action, it is best NOT to infer this from the rules.

That may be true. I'm hoping for an official ruling since it makes this card quite a bit more flexible, and I'm using it in a competition right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Some card(s) like Apprentice Craftsman (113 a) give you something before taking an action.

Since this card gives you a mountain resource, what if you have no resources but want to take a crafting action requiring a wood? Would you be allowed to choose the impossible action (because you don't have wood yet), but before the action actually activates, draw the wood and use it to pay?

Yes, that would be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Yes, that would be allowed.

Thanks! That's how I was playing. This means the Apprentice Craftsman transforms some crafting spaces into free tile-gaining spaces as long as your mountain tiles have what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I have one question. Where in the rules says you can't select an action space if you don't have the payment cost? I know that this could lead to block action spaces for your opponents and I think this is not the correct way to play, but I wonder if this is implicit in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I have one question. Where in the rules says you can't select an action space if you don't have the payment cost? I know that this could lead to block action spaces for your opponents and I think this is not the correct way to play, but I wonder if this is implicit in the rules.

Page 9, "Phase 5: Actions" says the following:

"You must use an action space immediately after you occupy it.
To occupy an action space, you must use at least one of its effects
(paying a cost is also considered an effect in and of itself)."

If you do not pay the cost, you cannot use the reward, which means you're not using any effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
alexandermagno wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Page 9, "Phase 5: Actions" says the following:

"You must use an action space immediately after you occupy it.
To occupy an action space, you must use at least one of its effects
(paying a cost is also considered an effect in and of itself)."

If you do not pay the cost, you cannot use the reward, which means you're not using any effect.

Wow, thanks a lot. I read the rules at least two and a half and I forgot that ruleblush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.