$30.00
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently in the middle of a game and something has struck me about the way that warp tokens are used and wanted to ask how other people are playing this.

In the rules it says that when a ship exits warp it can move through a number of systems that is equal to the number of warp tokens plus warp icons on any advancements.

So if I had the intention of attacking ships in a system that is 4 systems away from me (via an already established path,) can I reach it with a fleet that has 3 warp tokens?

I ask because of the wording in the rulebook saying that you need the tokens to move "through" a system - and in my example you'd only need to move through 3 systems to then park your fleet in the space lane space that is adjacent to the system that you want to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you would still need to be (theoretically) able to travel to that fourth system so that you can stop before actually reaching it. I think you are overthinking this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
each warp token covers the path from your current location to the next system, whether you stop in the middle of the path or not.
each "leg" uses a token.

so, 1st token from starting point to 1st system
2nd token from 1st system to 2nd system
etc.

with 3 tokens you reach only the 3rd system, not any spacelane between 3 and 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as Warp 1 Warp 2 or Warp 3. A ship that can get 3 Warp tokens in a single turn is going at Warp 3 and can move 3 systems. While a ship with a single token is going warp 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I don't disagree with any of you I just thought the way that it was worded in the rulebook (specifically the use of the word "through") made it a bit strange, that's all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
But you would still need to be (theoretically) able to travel to that fourth system so that you can stop before actually reaching it.

No, you wouldn't. You only have to be adjacent to system in order to initiate an attack, not in the system. The OP has a valid point. If you want to attack somebody four systems away, you would only travel through three systems and stop short of the fourth. In fact, page 11 of the manual specifically states that you cannot enter a sector containing rival ships. Your claim that you need to travel "to" the destination sector is not true. You only need to travel to the nearest adjacent sector.
Quote:
I think you are overthinking this.

I don't think he is. The very first definition of "through" at dictionary.com is "in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other" (empahsis mine). Taken literally, you can continue to travel beyond the third system as long as you don't enter a fourth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Benji68 wrote:
But you would still need to be (theoretically) able to travel to that fourth system so that you can stop before actually reaching it.

No, you wouldn't. You only have to be adjacent to system in order to initiate an attack, not in the system. The OP has a valid point. If you want to attack somebody four systems away, you would only travel through three systems and stop short of the fourth. In fact, page 11 of the manual specifically states that you cannot enter a sector containing rival ships. Your claim that you need to travel "to" the destination sector is not true. You only need to travel to the nearest adjacent sector.
Quote:

I don't think he is. The very first definition of "through" at dictionary.com is "in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other" (empahsis mine). Taken literally, you can continue to travel beyond the third system as long as you don't enter a fourth.

but with only 3 warp tokens he cant move out of the 3rd system and on to the space lane to be in an adjacent sector to the one he wants to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules of this game do not stand up to that level of scrutiny. Don't base your entire interpretation of the rules on a single word choice; construct the meaning of the rule by context, just as if you were speaking with someone who routinely uses poor word choices.

If you genuinely think that they meant that 1 warp token lets you move adjacent to the second system away, then I disagree with you, but it's your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Benji68 wrote:

Quote:

Did you also look up the definition of "overthinking"?

The rules give an example: "with four warp tokens the ship may move up to 4 systems". Also, there is "END" written under said fourth system. Not somewhere on the space lane after the fourth system.
Then: "you may choose to move through fewer systems or Exit Warp early in a space lane. (Emphasis mine. Not after the fourth system in a space lane, but early).

Sorry, but it is really obvious how this is supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an even simpler way of understanding this.

Should you be able to move to the 4th sector of a space lane extending from a system you currently occupy, without at least 1 warp token being played? Nothing in the rules would lead one to conclude that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
Through does not always mean "out the other side". I think the intent was to say through to that system (meaning you can stop anywhere in between).
Dictionary.com also defines "through" as "to and including" (7th definition in the list).

Edit: added a missing close parenthesis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.