BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Building / Completing game suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a new game that I can play with my wife and occasionally other casual gamers.

So what I'm looking for is:

- Eurogame or co-op (not too much conflict)
- Plays well with 2 to 4
- Building or completing things
- Good theme

Games my wife likes.
- Alhambra building a Alhambra
- Ticket to Ride: Europe completing train routes
- Carcassonne building roads and cities
- Cottage Garden completing gardens
- Pandemic working together and a good theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aeon's End again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End again!

Seriously? It doesn't sound anything like the other games mentioned.

I was thinking Stone Age or San Juan, something like that. Perhaps Bruges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth ticks all those boxes. You might have to hunt ebay etc. for it, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End again!

Played it at Spiel and decided not to buy it because my wife would never play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Aeon's End again!

Seriously? It doesn't sound anything like the other games mentioned.

I was thinking Stone Age or San Juan, something like that. Perhaps Bruges.

That's a no on Stone Age, but only because we own Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age seems to similar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Takenoko? Fairly light and I just love seeing the gardener and the panda walking among the growing bamboo stalks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
psson73 wrote:
Maybe Takenoko? Fairly light and I just love seeing the gardener and the panda walking among the growing bamboo stalks.

Sounds good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is nice and different (and has great artwork and a nicely implemented theme). With two players, you have "dummy players" in the game, which are directly controlled by the players, though, and add a tactical element, so they are actually kinda neat.

Race for the Galaxy / Roll for the Galaxy - a classic (and superb at two players) and the newer dice-based implementation, which is a bit more accessible, so might be the better choice. Race is better at two, though.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
San Juan is a favourite of ours, and should tick all your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig could appeal to your wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King - She'll love it. It uses very similar placement rules to Carcassonne. But it's a totally different experience because of the way you acquire the tiles. Instead of just drawing a tile at random for your turn, all players draw three tiles and display them to all other players. Then, secretly, you decide a market value for two of your tiles. The third tile will be discarded once everyone reveals their market prices for each tile. Then you go around the table, giving each player a chance to buy one of the tiles on display in front of the other players. If your tiles are not bought, you just bought them for the price you put on them. Then you place these into your own personal map (not shared like Carc). The game gives you different scoring goals to shoot for each game, by using 4 randomly drawn point tiles.

The way the market works is brilliant. It forces all players to consider the true value of each tile, and price it accordingly. You may have a really valuable tile for another player's map, so you should price it really high, right? Well, just how high do you go? If you price it out of the other players' range, you'll be stuck paying more than it was worth to you. So, yeah. Be careful. It's a tricky mechanism that will make for very challenging decisions. And perhaps what I love most is that the challenge in those decisions comes from considering what other players are trying to do and how far you can stretch them. The interaction is deeply meaningful, without being mean in nature.

I highly recommend this game for your situation. It's easy to learn/teach, plays great at all play counts, plays quickly, and offers a ton of variety because there are so many scoring tiles and only 4 go into play each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.