Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this afternoon and these 2 situations came up:

1. Player 2 moves into a spider web already placed by Player 1. Passes the strength test to keep moving through to an adjacent tile with a door (again, already placed). The door is stuck. On the next turn, does Player 2 simply try the door again without having to pass a strength test? This would make sense as they've already fought through the spider web to the edge of that chamber.

2. A player draws a corridor tile which is placed to join onto a previously laid chamber with a portcullis as one if its entry points. The portcullis was not used by the player who first placed the tile. We were unsure how to play this one. Is the portcullis open, having not being used before (this situation could become hard to keep track of), and what happens if the player fails the strength test if it is considered to be shut? Does the player retreat back to the chamber before the corridor or stay where they are and try again next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. I would presume you're right: that they have passed the spiders's web and only need to do another strength test if they wish to leave via a different exit on their next turn. I seem to recall there being a similar situation mentioned in the rulebook, perhaps in regards to the chamber with the collapsed ceiling ruins on it...

2. This is an odd scenario because the portcullis, in the Revised Edition at least, only appears at the entry point to a chamber tile, so you'd rarely encounter one that hadn't been walked through already. However, if someone drew a tile with a portcullis after emerging from the catacombs (or after finding a hidden door) I could see this happening but, either way, I doubt there's an official rule on it given the number patchy areas in the various rules iterations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
#2: Good question. I've been thinking through that same situation and the best I can conclude is they enter the room normally and only test strength if exiting the room through a portcullis. That is ignore the portcullis when entering the existing room tile. Only test strength if attempting to exit that room through the portcullis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Zboril
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmb
semba wrote:

1. Player 2 moves into a spider web already placed by Player 1. Passes the strength test to keep moving through to an adjacent tile with a door (again, already placed). The door is stuck. On the next turn, does Player 2 simply try the door again without having to pass a strength test? This would make sense as they've already fought through the spider web to the edge of that chamber.

- yes you are right
- Spider Web has 4 halls (A,B,C,D), in your scenario you came from hall A and decided to leave by hall C, you tested strenght and passed, so currently you are sitting in hall C and trying to immediately resolve door card, if stucked your turn ends
- next turn you can decide to resolve door card again or leave by another hall (A,B,D) testing strenght

semba wrote:

2. A player draws a corridor tile which is placed to join onto a previously laid chamber with a portcullis as one if its entry points. The portcullis was not used by the player who first placed the tile. We were unsure how to play this one. Is the portcullis open, having not being used before (this situation could become hard to keep track of), and what happens if the player fails the strength test if it is considered to be shut? Does the player retreat back to the chamber before the corridor or stay where they are and try again next turn?

- I agree with "Mark J."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Hammond
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you look at the back page of the 'learn to play' manual, you will see that under 'Spider Web', it states "immediately move again, ignoring doors and portcullises".
If you look at 'Corridors' on the same page, it also states "immediately move again, ignoring doors and portcullises".
I would play it as its ok to ignore the portcullis.

Edit: Another way to think of it is that the portcullis is open until someone enters the chamber, at which point the portcullis closes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbo_gecko wrote:
If you look at the back page of the 'learn to play' manual, you will see that under 'Spider Web', it states "immediately move again, ignoring doors and portcullises".
If you look at 'Corridors' on the same page, it also states "immediately move again, ignoring doors and portcullises".
I would play it as its ok to ignore the portcullis.

Edit: Another way to think of it is that the portcullis is open until someone enters the chamber, at which point the portcullis closes.

Except that, as another thread points out, "ignoring" is itself ambiguous:

- behave as if the exits has no doors or portcullises

- behave as if exits with doors and portcullises don't exist.

:/

i suspect that the first interpretation is the intent, but likely nobody but the original rules author knows for 100% certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.