eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just gone through the extended example and have a few questions:

1) events. How long do these events remain in play? Some events are clearly "one-off" (like reenforcements) while others seem to stay in play for the whole game (like blockade). Is there any sort of default length of time or should I just be able to figire it out by reading the card.

2) The CP card "race to the sea" says it can still be played as an event after the War Status has reached 4. Why would someone want to do this? wouldnt that just burn a card? Maybe this is a good thing? My CDWG expeirence is mainly in Twilight Struggle which obviously is a lil different. Still, "Race..." seems like a good high-ops card to keep around.

4) The allied player starts out as the only player with units in the near east. I imagine it's possible for the allied player to move his units into positions that conflict with the eventual set-up of CP turkish units? What would happen if (for instance) there was a BR corps sitting in Gaza when the CP hit limited War?

5) How do use the white markers with the event names? I was just placing them on the turn track when they went off...is there a better way?

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
1) events. How long do these events remain in play? Some events are clearly "one-off" (like reenforcements) while others seem to stay in play for the whole game (like blockade). Is there any sort of default length of time or should I just be able to figire it out by reading the card.

Good question. You have to read the card. In general, the ones with extended applicability have chits included in the game to record the fact that the event has been played.

baditude wrote:
2) The CP card "race to the sea" says it can still be played as an event after the War Status has reached 4. Why would someone want to do this? wouldnt that just burn a card? Maybe this is a good thing? My CDWG expeirence is mainly in Twilight Struggle which obviously is a lil different. Still, "Race..." seems like a good high-ops card to keep around.

The average Ops value of a card later in the game is likely to exceed 3, so a 3 card like "Race" will be a worse than average card. Still, I'm not sure it's worth burning a whole action just to weed it from the deck.

baditude wrote:
4) The allied player starts out as the only player with units in the near east. I imagine it's possible for the allied player to move his units into positions that conflict with the eventual set-up of CP turkish units? What would happen if (for instance) there was a BR corps sitting in Gaza when the CP hit limited War?

You may not enter a neutral country until after it enters the war.

baditude wrote:
5) How do use the white markers with the event names? I was just placing them on the turn track when they went off...is there a better way?

See above under 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That all makes sense. thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The average Ops value of a card later in the game is likely to exceed 3, so a 3 card like "Race" will be a worse than average card. Still, I'm not sure it's worth burning a whole action just to weed it from the deck.

See 'The Decks' in the strategy forum: the average does exceed 3, but, taking into account that some cards are removed from the deck when played, not by much: and that becomes an even smaller margin if you make a habit of using 3 cards for Strategic Redployment. Of course, removing it from the deck also means there are less cards in you deck which means you can get to the important cards faster. Even so its probably not worth wasting an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls