10 Posts

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Variants

Subject: A possible treasure variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith
msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought of this as a way to mix up treasures in the game. Instead of placing a coin on a space when a tile comes out, place a chest (or proxy with a coin anyway). When the treasure is unlocked, the player would draw a card from a special treasure deck that randomizes the possible treasure you can obtain. You could have some 'trap' cards that do damage or minus 1 xp, cards that award 2 or more coins, more treasure cards.

Opinions? What do people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game as designed has a deck of treasure cards and comes (at least in the KS version) with treasure chests to indicate treasure spots and coin spots. Any variant you might suggest should take those rules into consideration.

I don't think there are any "trap" cards in the treasure deck, but I could be wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:
The game as designed has a deck of treasure cards and comes (at least in the KS version) with treasure chests to indicate treasure spots and coin spots. Any variant you might suggest should take those rules into consideration.

I don't think there are any "trap" cards in the treasure deck, but I could be wrong about that.

You are not wrong. I own the retail version and the card decks have no negative effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
msg tools
mbmbmb
The thread title is "treasure variant". I am a backer and fully aware of the rules. The purpose here is to suggest some added things to the treasure component of the game, maybe to spice things up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiralmind wrote:
The thread title is "treasure variant". I am a backer and fully aware of the rules. The purpose here is to suggest some added things to the treasure component of the game, maybe to spice things up a little.

Why the funk would you add to a game that is already balanced? I see only mess and trouble by adding to that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Unbelievable, the animosity I am receiving in this thread. Please, if you don't have any constructive feedback, go elsewhere. Many games on BGG have fan made variants. I doubt their creators had to endure attacks for their ideas. If you dont like the idea, fine, say so politely and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiralmind wrote:
Unbelievable, the animosity I am receiving in this thread. Please, if you don't have any constructive feedback, go elsewhere. Many games on BGG have fan made variants. I doubt their creators had to endure attacks for their ideas. If you dont like the idea, fine, say so politely and move on.

Constructive? Alright.
I think it's a terrible idea. Having many plays under my belt, the idea of randomly being shafted and losing experience, when the game's pace, combat and skills are balanced for all the treasure to be positive, hell even the trap rooms are somewhat positive, as they give great XP, would be disastrous. You would be taking a great fast paced, pretty well balanced game off the rails.

I mean, you are welcome to do whatever you please with the project you backed/bought, but all in all, I do think it's terrible. I think making cards for some reason to add to a balanced deck, that are fan-made, is genuinely not a good idea.

By altering the cards, you are taking away value from characters who generate money for cards or unlock treasure better by making treasure less value and possibly disastrous, thus making me only want to run combat oriented characters. But, if devaluing certain characters, the thief especially, seems cool, by all means.

That being said, I don't think anything was said with animosity. But I apologize for any hurt feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
msg tools
mbmbmb
No feelings hurt here. Thank you for your opinion. The idea here is not to just add traps, but variability in treasure rewards. Anyway, it was just an idea I was toying around with. Perhaps discussing my ideas in this forum is not such a good idea after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiralmind wrote:
When the treasure is unlocked, the player would draw a card from a special treasure deck that randomizes the possible treasure you can obtain. You could have some 'trap' cards that do damage or minus 1 xp, cards that award 2 or more coins, more treasure cards.

I'm sorry if you felt my original comment was an attack. I assumed from your original post that you didn't fully understand the treasure deck as planned for the game. From the viewpoint of you understanding the treasure deck and thinking of your suggestions as additional cards to add to that deck, here are my thoughts.

Trap cards - do not already exist in the deck, but as mentioned by others they do create a potential negative outcome to treasure. Not wholly bad, but I think the game would need some rebalancing to address it (thief type heroes automatically ignoring that damage, or using an additional dice to cancel traps?)

+2 coin cards - buying a treasure card costs 6 coins, essentially it would be a treasure worth 1/3 of another treasure. As an option on a two option card, it could still be usable.

double treasure cards - This could be a fun additional card, immediately discard and draw two additional treasures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow...

people realized that this is a VARIANT FORUM. if you don't agree with variants don't visit this place, of course variant add to the "already balance" game, hence why we playtest and help each other to create variants

anyway... I got my game and started to play with variants stuff.. LOL I run into this treat because I want to affect the "treasure cards as well"

I want to have cards or resources that can messed up with the exploring and disarm traps by other players .. very early on this, only have 3 plays.

Anyway, I Like your idea. You could add "special" treasure cards that change stats (give u one extra dice one time of your choosing), give you rerolls, aloud you to port to the tile of your choosing x1, or...

I would suggest a deck that has more bad (60%) stuff that good (40%) - just throwing a number, it would need playtesting; but the good stuff are GOOD. giving the game a "tactic" decision, one that is worth it if taken. If the negative is too punishing the mechanic would never be use, and if the good is too good the mechanic would be OP, overuse and brake the game.
negative stuff shouldn't be too hard/punishing so that balance is no TOO affected, but bad enough that is a risk. e.g.lose 1 treasure regular card on Roll of x+, your hero is move to ANY tile chosen by the player on your left, you cant collect more than 2 coins in bounty phase...

have u work on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.