tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tails

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New Dawn seems to be on sale a lot, but this is the lowest I have seen.

Is this a good game or a poor seller? I know that Among The Stars is the bigger hit, and this was a spin off from that, but what's the deal on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catelldm wrote:

Is this a good game or a poor seller? I know that Among The Stars is the bigger hit, and this was a spin off from that, but what's the deal on this?
I can't speak for everyone, but when it came out I had to have it until I realized it's not an Among the Stars expansion.

Pete (finally bought it at this price)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
catelldm wrote:

I think it got buried by Forbidden Stars, a game that is probably not quite as deep, but that provided more flavor and better artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any chance they'd refund the difference? I got it for $15 more from the so called Bigger than Black Friday sale surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:
any chance they'd refund the difference? I got it for $15 more from the so called Bigger than Black Friday sale surprise

Now come on Colin. A sale that was when, over a week? 2 weeks? ago?

I don't think any retailer should be expected to give a difference in costs with that long a time span.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A response from the New Dawn forums I found simply summed up the differences:

evilone wrote:
Thanks for the nice review! Appreciated!!

Note that New Dawn is in the Among The Stars Universe thematically.
There are no mechanical connections between New Dawn and Among The Stars:

Among The Stars is a card drafting game.
New Dawn is a big, 4x-hybrid game with substantial player conflict and interaction. Very very different...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked New Dawn. I played with an incorrect rule unfortunately but it was still really fun and a great 4x game that plays in about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:
I suspect they'd probably be willing to give you "points" for the difference. That's how they've handled my very very few complaints to them.

Pete (would try it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingarthur1976 wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:

Now come on Colin. A sale that was when, over a week? 2 weeks? ago?

I don't think any retailer should be expected to give a difference in costs with that long a time span.

I'd also not expect a retailer to have a sale they call Bigger than Black Friday and then have something from it on sale for $15 less ~2 weeks later as a regular daily deal

it doesn't exactly inspire buying confidence

plezercruz wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:
I suspect they'd probably be willing to give you "points" for the difference. That's how they've handled my very very few complaints to them.

Pete (would try it)

thanks, I sent them an email

I didn't explicitly ask for a refund, just if there was anything that could be done and mentioned what I did in this post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:

I'd also not expect a retailer to have a sale they call Bigger than Black Friday and then have something from it on sale for $15 less ~2 weeks later as a regular daily deal

If it were the "Cheaper than Black Friday Sale," you might have had a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:

If it were the "Cheaper than Black Friday Sale," you might have had a point.

Right,

Bigger to me implies more items on sale, not necessarily that the items would be cheaper.

My point is, you made a choice to pull the trigger on the item at that price. By asking for some type of refund or compensation for an item well after you've paid for it does nothing but weaken the retailer.

But, it is also your absolute right to ask for some type of compensation (which as you stated you already did)

Just a difference in opinion that's all (and one I'm responsible for derailing a hot deals thread for)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.