1 Posts

Foe Hunters» Forums » Reviews

Subject: My first impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anth R
Australia
flag msg tools
The box is a decent size box, with plenty of room for all the cards and bits and pieces. A lot of thought has clearly gone into this as when I compare to other games that I have received lately, the creator has thought of those of us that like to put our cards in sleeves.

The box allows ample room for the cards to be sleeved and fit back into the box. I find that so many other games have beautiful inserts for the game to hold your components, but once you sleeve the cards, there is not longer any space in there to hold everything.

The really cool next feature I found was for the tracking markers for the stats, I like the idea of The dials. After a while some games end up having way to many markers or tokens all up, and you need a pen and paper really to keep track of things. These dials simply have the hit points on the outer dial, and the XP points on the inner dial for the heroes, while the Foe dial has a setup of units of 10 on the outside and individual numbers on he inside, so everything is at a quick glance, particularly when you are dealing with high value HP numbers.

Ok, so now onto setup and gameplay.

There are several decks of cards to make up the game.

The City Deck: this gets shuffled and placed in the centre of the table, and the top 4 cards turned over, this is the drafting type deck were you will purchase cards for the heroes.

Then you have 6 hero decks my, which are the main heroe card listing any Feats to use during the game, and basically the starter deck which is geared towards that hero and forms your draw deck. The foes decks are split up into 3 foes and each with its own set of deck cards that will give you the challenges throughout the game and of course the main Foe villain card which is double sided and has different Phases, and feats of its own. You then have a side area for the markers and special cards that the heroes use as Feats or general power/armor cards.

There is quite a bit of strategy involved for the game, as you choose the order in which the heroes get played.

The game starts with the Foe going first, and I was concerned about perhaps taking to much damage in the round, but it's not the case (though I am playing the easier of the 3 foes)

It's currently a bit of a back and forth slug fest at the moment, as the Foes permanent ability card see's the heroes playing cards gets them damage, but using the cards to balance this off with healing has been helping out.

This is only my first play of the game though, but it certainly will get some revisits again

out of 10:
Artwork - 8
Setup - 8
Gameplay - 9
Overall: 9

I will be coming back again to play. I do tend to play games solo, so really enjoy that this has a solo mode, which is simply playing the 2 player version of the game, and the rules say that it might be a bit of Book Keeping, I haven't found it very taxing at all to keep track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.