Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Agricola Feelings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play it, the more I suspect why I love it, this game is Agricola IN SPACE!

You get standard project, actions cards, a mix between cards management and tile placing, a impression of slowy growing a engine and, when it finally work very well, the end of the game is near, the impression of always beeing starving (missing some ressources, cards...) until the very end, especially in solo play.

I in no way says it is a copycat, there are obvious differences between mechanisms in the two games, just that I'm having some of the same feeling playing TR than I had when I discovered the great great classic Agricola.

This combined with a Theme really way more sexy and interesting, I begin to understand why TM may become a new Euro reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe other games are more obvious to be associated with the gameplay of TM, but I too was somewhat reminded of the Agricola feel in some respects. Specifically how you're building up some kind of engine to better satisfy your needs in a harsh (but not "dark" or hostile) world, using both tile placement and unique, thematic cards to play in front of you.

Also, the importance of timing and "doing that thing before someone else does".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It feels more like Caverna to me multiplayer no pressure to feed. Solo it does have the tension and pressure of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a bit of similarity too, especially in the solo game. You spend most of the first half struggling to get by, having to be careful with what cards you buy and play, nudging up the parameters very slowly at first. Points are a secondary concern, but you're always looking forward to the overall plan. You get to about generation 7 or 8 and suddenly reach a tipping point where everything becomes very available and easy to purchase and your production is starting to cover what you spend each turn.

I feel the same in Agricola. First half is scraping by, mainly focusing on feeding family, that you hit the self-sustaining tipping point, you can afford two more workers and suddenly the game opens up and instead of thinking "What MUST I do this turn?" you can say "What CAN I do this turn?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
It feels more like Caverna to me multiplayer no pressure to feed. Solo it does have the tension and pressure of Agricola.

The pressure is there for me. In theory you could sit on a lot of your resources and play them out late game due to the flexible round structure but the game is constantly pushing you to contribute to O2, heat and oceans, which is essentially feeding your engine. If you don't, you get left behind very quickly even though you'll get more points focusing on forests and city tile combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case this thread frightens anyone else who dislikes Agricola, Caverna, etc. as much as I do, I love Terraforming Mars and am not feeling any connection between it and those other games. Thank goodness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
In case this thread frightens anyone else who dislikes Agricola, Caverna, etc. as much as I do, I love Terraforming Mars and am not feeling any connection between it and those other games. Thank goodness!

I am one of those that don't really like Agricola (haven't tried Caverna) but really enjoy Terraforming Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never played Agricola, but TM feels nothing like Caverna to me.

It feels a lot more like Race for the Galaxy with a little bit of Terra Mystica, and with double the playtime of both combined. (Although we finally managed to play it in under 3h (2p, with CE and draft).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Florence
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both games are great, but don't see them as similar at all. They both have engine building and an optional drafting variant, but that's where the similarities end in my mind. In Terraforming Mars, you occasionally get to snipe an action before your opponents are able to make better use of it, but it doesn't happen anywhere nearly as much as in Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.