9 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Rising Tide (Scenario Review) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milan Verveer
msg tools
Hey all!

First of all, I will keep this one spoiler free and just give my overall impressions.
So I recently finally played the Rising Tide Scenario with a four man group and I wanted to type some letters about it on this forum!
A short while back, I posted a review of the "Cult of the Sentinel" scenario, which is one of the two newer scenarios, and to recap it shortly, I did not really enjoy that one.
This was mostly because it contained little mystery/story and felt more like a dungeon or a raid in World of Warcraft, if anything.
Just mow down mob after mob until you encounter the final boss and all of that while a vague timer is ticking away in the background, which will cause you to instant-fail the whole scenario if you take too long.

Now, I am REALLY happy to say that Rising Tide left me speechless in the end.
The Rising Tide campaign is almost the exact polar opposite of Cult of the Sentinel.
It is definitely the longest campaign, as the app already made clear, but there was not one moment in the campaign that felt dull, slow or boring to me or my fellow players.

This scenario has a LOT of intrigue, story and mystery behind it which will force you and your fellow players to think deeply about what is happening.
This campaign mostly focuses on talking to people and figuring out who's who and what their part is in the story.
You actually feel like a real detective, trying to piece stuff together and the story goes surprisingly deep.

I will not go any further, because this campaign is really one to experience for yourself.
I can strongly recommend this one, even though it's most assuredly longer than the others.
This scenario is definitely my favorite so far and I hope more scenarios will be released which focus more on doing detective stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did it take you to finish it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I too, enjoyed this scenario because of the detective aspect of it.

Hopefully we will see more scenarios with detective elements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enjoying the fact that these scenarios are so different. While I enjoyed the Cult of Sentinel Hill's direct, action-based approach, I am eager to try Rising Tide to experience a heavily mystery based scenario. Great write-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
How long did it take you to finish it?

Whilst I cannot answer for the OP, my wife and I took about 4 hours to do this scenario. It didn't seem overly long at all and I agree with the OP that this scenario was truly satisfying.

However I also enjoyed the Cult of Sentinel Hill so take my recommendation as you will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg

Berlin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this scenario with my wife. each one investigator. we are just in the third location and my character is already insane (fairmont).
any clues on how best to approach this with 2 players? should we each take 2 investigators or stick to one each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Ferradou
France
flag msg tools
My wife and I just played Rising Tide with Rita and Agatha Crane.

We enjoyed a lot the explore and investigate aspect, with a lot of detective work.

In the process, we gathered a lot of items, including weapons, which enabled us to deal with the final threats quite easily at the end (and in a somewhat anti-climax fashion). Yet, Rita went insane, and so lost the game.

We will have to try it again in order to insure that both our invesigators win the game.

Do you know if the cultists' identity change when re-playing this scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattboggan wrote:
Do you know if the cultists' identity change when re-playing this scenario?

Yes, the culprits and location are different in different plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andris Borbíró
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the spoiler-free review! We are mid-campaign (had to save it - since we are four people, really not in a haste when playing, rather: making jokes, discussing every event and so on, half the scenario went on for more than 3 hours), going to finish it this Thursday.

My question (and please, stay spoiler-free!): did you make notes? Is a player expected to take notes (as in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for example)? We have checked the in-app notes module, and while it did seem to record some information about the suspects, it recorded much less information than I expected based on the dialogs. (But then again: maybe just enough!)

Thank you for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.