War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Eliminate FP Factions from game..wait wut? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know it's in line with the normal FP units (not necessarily the theme), but it doesn't make sense to me. With only 8 ents/dead men doesn't it makes the FP factions extremely limited, both in terms of movement and combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and that's the point.

The Ents are a dying race, only a few are still able to wake up.

The Dead Men are a small "people" of cursed oath-breakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
It is not too easy to get all 8 out of any faction. Having them be eliminated doesn't really change anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are limited, but powerful. Which as Veldrin points out makes sense thematically.

Mechanically it doesn't matter so much that they are limited in scope, because you can get enough to make some really strong plays with them as they are.

Also, it's not that easy to even get out the 8 they have in time to make a big difference. And even less likely to get all 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never managed to get all 8 units out for more than one FP faction. Its rare that any FP faction gets to 8 because by the time you get 4-7 units you can get enough value out of the faction that you should use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I've noticed that as well in the meantime. I was thinking of the Rohan scenario of BattA where you can easily muster a whole forest of ents, but as you can only do this through cards it's pretty hard to get even a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight faction figures is more than enough.

Factions start with 2, which leaves 6 to be recruited. To actually get up to 8 Ents, you'd have to be lucky to draw all the good Faction Cards, since the Faction Die is almost always better used to bring a new faction into the game, and on many turns doesn't even roll a recruit. There is a total of 3 out of 20 cards, two of which require a Muster and one an Army (both of which could, of course, use a Palantir or a Gandalf; I guess there's a 50% chance you could play it with a Faction die, but in his case where you'd want to maximize your chances of utilizing the Factions, you'd not really want to waste your Faction die if it can be used to draw another Faction card, or perhaps even if it can be used to Recruit another member of that faction). This probably even includes playing some of the 5 neutral Faction Cards which allow the player to search for the appropriate Faction Card easier, which means that dice have to be also spent to play those faction cards too.

The easiest way, of course, is to have the major recruitment card in the game, which eventually allows for a total of three new units to be brought in the game. And even then, the (Sauron Allies) Shadow Player may be inclined not to use Saruman's voice, in hopes of preventing the Ents getting rumbled up (something I found sorely missing from the old version of the game and have become overjoyed they included it in a functional way).

So, hypothetically speaking, that means that starting 2 + 5 from all three Ent recruitment cards, bearing in mind that only 1 Faction card is drawn normally per turn. That still leaves that last Ent to be recruited either using the Faction die (which is in many FP Player games, except in cases of major strategic importance, often a waste of an Action Die), or after reshuffling one of the Ent recruitment cards back into the deck from the discard pile (or using The Union of All Our Strength) and using it as an Action. This also definitely includes playing with the Lords of Middle-earth expansion and recruiting Galadriel and Elrond, in order to occasionally use the Elven Die to perhaps draw a Faction Card and maximize your options that way.

Aside from that, the FP Factions are very, very powerful. There's no reason to make them even more powerful, especially since it is a very rare situation in which one would actually find it necessary to muster a 9th figure.

The only real issue I've found here is when Factions get eliminated. I've seen the Dead Men go, as they're kind of supposed to, and a card here or there affiliated with them clutters the Faction Deck, especially if a card is drawn related to an eliminated Faction. Sure. there are ways to discard one and draw another (through another Faction card) but what I really think is that a Faction elimination should automatically lead to permanently removing from the game all affiliated Faction cards (or, at the very least, allow the player to discard them and draw replacements). I have yet to go beyond playtesting WoMe, so my conclusions here may be unfounded. I've also bee just slightly disappointed the normal Event Card replacements didn't relate to the very factions. I'd really like for them to have separate undertexts, for example "if faction x is in play and this or that, then", giving the card an alternative use, depending if a faction is in play, and also giving the player an incentive to bring that condition to fruition precisely for that purpose.

And...of course...I couldn't rant without Treebeard. Oh, the poor Treebeard. He originally came as a promo, so all is forgiven, naturally, but after WoMe, I'm really thinking there should be some way he works with the Ent Faction. This way, WoMe actually diminishes his role, making him less powerful than in the original game / +first expansion pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.