Hide
3 Posts

Gingerdead House» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dataforce Enable
msg tools
I played my first couple of games this week and we had some questions about rules..

1) At least one monster has the rule that if it is destroyed in combat it destroys another defence in the same row.

Does this mean that it destroys 1 defence of the player's choice in the same row?

Does this defence have to be different to the one which won combat, or can the one which won combat (and destroyed the monster) be destroyed?

2) How does direct damage work?

For example if a monster with power 8 is in a row, and 2 defences which deal direct damage 4 each attack the monster is the monster destroyed?

Further to that, if 4 direct damage is dealt with a monster with power 8 and then in the same turn the monster advances to a defence with power 5, when the monster enters combat with the defence does it have power 8 or 4?

3) Does direct damage get carried over from turn to turn? So can a defence deal 4 damage to a monster on one turn then 4 the following turn? (Turn = the same player's turn, not the next player's turn)

4) Can you add a defence to the board and use its power on the same turn? So can I put a harrier jet down and immediately move it into combat, for example?

5) Abilities such as Jack's ability to slay all giants in his column - do they happen when the card is played as a one time thing?

Or do they happen when a monster of that type enters the board in that column?

Or both? (i.e. once when the card is played, then every time a monster of that type enters the board, until the defence card is destroyed)

6) Some monsters destroy defences in combat (even if the defence wins). Does this apply when they take direct damage? If so, how does this apply if 2 defences attack it as in question 2?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these. It's a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Holden
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dfi_enx wrote:
I played my first couple of games this week and we had some questions about rules..

1) At least one monster has the rule that if it is destroyed in combat it destroys another defence in the same row.

Does this mean that it destroys 1 defence of the player's choice in the same row?

Does this defence have to be different to the one which won combat, or can the one which won combat (and destroyed the monster) be destroyed?

The defense Goldilocks destroys is chosen by the player who owns the defense. It may be the defense that won the combat, or any other defense in the same row.

dfi_enx wrote:

2) How does direct damage work?

For example if a monster with power 8 is in a row, and 2 defences which deal direct damage 4 each attack the monster is the monster destroyed?

Further to that, if 4 direct damage is dealt with a monster with power 8 and then in the same turn the monster advances to a defence with power 5, when the monster enters combat with the defence does it have power 8 or 4?

3) Does direct damage get carried over from turn to turn? So can a defence deal 4 damage to a monster on one turn then 4 the following turn? (Turn = the same player's turn, not the next player's turn)

As with combat, direct damage must completely kill the monster in one shot. So, dealing 4 points to a monster with a Gummy Grunt doesn't help you at all if the monster then moves into combat, nor can you stack two Gummy Grunts' abilities to kill an 8-point monster. Put another way, all damage dealt to a monster goes away immediately if it doesn't kill the monster.

dfi_enx wrote:

4) Can you add a defence to the board and use its power on the same turn? So can I put a harrier jet down and immediately move it into combat, for example?

Absolutely.

dfi_enx wrote:

5) Abilities such as Jack's ability to slay all giants in his column - do they happen when the card is played as a one time thing?

Or do they happen when a monster of that type enters the board in that column?

Or both? (i.e. once when the card is played, then every time a monster of that type enters the board, until the defence card is destroyed)

Both. If you drop Jack in a column that already has a Giant (either by playing him there or moving him via Licorice Lasso or similar), the Giant immediately dies. If another Giant then enters his column later, that Giant instantly dies, too.

dfi_enx wrote:

6) Some monsters destroy defences in combat (even if the defence wins). Does this apply when they take direct damage? If so, how does this apply if 2 defences attack it as in question 2?

Direct damage is not combat, so killing the White Snake with a Gummy Grunt or Flaming Marshmallow Catapult will keep your defenses safe. The second part of your question doesn't come up because defenses don't stack.

dfi_enx wrote:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these. It's a fun game!

Anytime! Glad you're enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dataforce Enable
msg tools
Awesome thanks for clearing those up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.