Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game last night using the first adventure and had a couple questions pop up.

1. In the setup it states that for the intro adventure the turtles get skill cards at battle -1. Where is this intro adventure? We thought it was the first one in the the adventure book and that the book at battle -2 was a misprint.

2. Turns out using battle -1 skill cards instead of the -2 for the first adventure helped the turtles out which they needed. The villain only has to get 3 thugs off the board to win. The first turn of the game I had 2 off. I felt bad and didn't want the experience to ruin their view of the game and instead of going for the win later I moved to attack turtles. But I could've won almost instantly anytime. Is the adventure supposed to be harder for the turtles?

3. Villain cards. Are the defense cumulative? If I have 2 cards out that give the thug brawlers 2 defense each card. Do they get 4 additional defense? I ruled they only got 2, only because I felt bad for the turtles.

4. If the villain player only has 1 villain on the board, I assume they can only activate once for the turn but could the villain player play another not using the activation just to get in out of their hand and puting it into their villain que?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How were you able to get two off the first turn? By turn do you mean after all turtles had gone, or your very first activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IcyDuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Kevin has stated that the -1 modifier is a misprint because there was initially a different battle used for the intro. The -2 modifier is the correct one for this battle.

2) This can be a quick win for the villains if the turtles don't pick their special moves and strategize wisely. You should be able to get two of your brawlers very close to the rightmost goal after your first turn if you get the right cards, and possibly get them past the goal on your next, since they can ignore slow terrain. The turtles need to focus on pinning them in the alley on their first turns and hopefully picking off the ones that slipped by with ranged strikes. They can't just jump in the alley and start brawling. At least this is how I would strategize it. I think it's meant to be balanced in that the minions are so weak they can usually be taken down in one or two attacks, so they at least get more chances to make the goal.

3) Defense is cumulative. Any defense icon that pertains to a villain type goes to all figures of that type while active. So if you have 2 more icons, they all apply to all villains of that type. I found defenses harder to roll, so the extra dice aren't a guarantee that you will block every hit.

4) I'm not actually sure about this one. I know you can't activate the same figure twice in a turn, but there isn't anything saying you can't just put down a card in order to keep drawing two. I was playing only 1 card per turn when I had 1 figure left, but I do not know if that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I think #4 is an oversight in the rules, since this is the rare battle that the villain can't spawn additional minions. It's also possible (though unlikely) you could lack the cards to activate your characters on hand.

That said, the villain mechanic seems to rely heavily on playing 2 cards per turn, so I would think that trumps all, even if the cards you play do nothing for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IcyDuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be inclined to agree with this. Though it does raise a question, even if you can't activate a villain for a second time, if the second card you play includes a special ability and/ or defenses for that figure, I imagine you'd still be able to reap the benefits from it, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
Played our first game last night using the first adventure and had a couple questions pop up.

1. In the setup it states that for the intro adventure the turtles get skill cards at battle -1. Where is this intro adventure? We thought it was the first one in the the adventure book and that the book at battle -2 was a misprint.

The rulebook is actually wrong. There is going to be an FAQ posted soon. It was actually supposed to have been posted in an update last night, but I guess they didn't get to it. The correct value is -2 and fewer cards in the list of cards for each of the turtles in the first game set-up.

Quote:

2. Turns out using battle -1 skill cards instead of the -2 for the first adventure helped the turtles out which they needed. The villain only has to get 3 thugs off the board to win. The first turn of the game I had 2 off. I felt bad and didn't want the experience to ruin their view of the game and instead of going for the win later I moved to attack turtles. But I could've won almost instantly anytime. Is the adventure supposed to be harder for the turtles?

It is hard for the Turtles if the turtle players don't play smart. The two turtles on the roof have make every effort to get off the roof right away and get down next to the Brawlers to slow them down. Ideally Michelangelo is one of them on the roof and is the first to go and has at least two skateboards. Then the other two turtles who started on the ground can wipe out the Gunners who are very easy to deal with.

Quote:

3. Villain cards. Are the defense cumulative? If I have 2 cards out that give the thug brawlers 2 defense each card. Do they get 4 additional defense? I ruled they only got 2, only because I felt bad for the turtles.

Yes they are. That's why Mikey has to be on the roof and be the first turtle to activate so he can get down and take out a Brawler before they have a chance to get some defense bonuses. Then get into a position to really slow down the Brawlers.

Quote:

4. If the villain player only has 1 villain on the board, I assume they can only activate once for the turn but could the villain player play another not using the activation just to get in out of their hand and puting it into their villain que?

The rules state you have to play two cards each turn. So yes, you play a card even if it won't allow you to activate a villain. You can choose to activate less models than the card indicates. Remember the "While Active" abilities and Defense ratings on them would still apply so you may not be playing them for no effect. You can also chose to play it face down to activate something else via the desperation activation rule. We've done this a couple times in this situation when the villain had a hand full of cards for one type of minion, but only one or no minions of that type on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
icyduff wrote:

I found defenses harder to roll, so the extra dice aren't a guarantee that you will block every hit.

They should be harder to roll, there are less shells than hits. There are two sides with shells, three sides with one hit, and one side with two hits. Attacking should definitely have the advantage. At least in situations with the attacker having equal or more attack dice than the defender has defense dice. They should still have an advantage in many cases with fewer attack dice than the defender has defense dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
How were you able to get two off the first turn? By turn do you mean after all turtles had gone, or your very first activation?

So the first 2 villain cards I played were for the brawlers. It was just after the first turtles turn, the 2 cards each had 2 skateboard symbols on them so the first 2 brawlers with a move of 3 each moved 6 spaces towards the goal making it just out of reach. The following 2 brawlers moved 6 spaces to get very near the goal. The next turn Miley moved up but I played another brawler move card moving 2 of them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
charlest wrote:

So the first 2 villain cards I played were for the brawlers. It was just after the first turtles turn, the 2 cards each had 2 skateboard symbols on them so the first 2 brawlers with a move of 3 each moved 6 spaces towards the goal making it just out of reach. The following 2 brawlers moved 6 spaces to get very near the goal. The next turn Miley moved up but I played another brawler move card moving 2 of them off.

I forgot they ignore terrain penalties, that makes sense. When I played this scenario the turtles narrowly won by mopping up on the shooter thugs mostly and slowing the brawlers down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Sounds like poor strategy by the heroes. Considering they move first, they should have been able to get some hero placement to slow you down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.