Jesse Edelstein
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mb
Card #26, "MANPADS Scare", has the following unshaded instructions:

Quote:
False alarm-fly the friendly skies: Coalition Air Lifts any Troops among 5 spaces, then LimOps in 1, free.

According to the NP flowcharts, if either the Government or the Coalition takes this event, the Coalition picks a LimOp from its usual priorities and then does "Air Lift per priorities from up to 4 spaces to the LimOp space."

I am playing the extended scenario solitaire as Taliban, and the only Troops on the board are in Kabul and Kandahar. In both spaces, Coalition and Government have a lot of excess troops over COIN Control, and no other spaces are at COIN Control. So I'm a little confused as to what I'm doing here. Since COIN pieces don't share spaces with 4+ Taliban, it seems like Train is the right LimOp, but since both Kabul and Kandahar have lots of Govt cubes and are at Support, it would seemingly have to be a Train somewhere else.

My best guess here, attempting to read as literally as possible, is that Coalition tries to Air Lift to a space with Taliban (per the Air Lift instructions) and then buys a Civic Action in that space. But this does not seem like a very smart move and I'm not sure it's what they're really going to do. Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mb
I should have mentioned this too - the "Standstorms" Momentum card is in play, preventing any Air Lift. That cancels the Air Lift part of MANPADS Scare, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume there are no special instructions that go with this event. I don't have the card in front of me.

Anyways. I think your reading is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmedelstein wrote:
I should have mentioned this too - the "Standstorms" Momentum card is in play, preventing any Air Lift. That cancels the Air Lift part of MANPADS Scare, right?

No. See rule 5.1.2: the currently played Event overrules any previous Events in case of a conflict.

As far as I can tell, the "Air Lift to take Control, then Train to Pacify" interpretation is correct. Not sure if it works in ADP where Support doesn't necessarily prevent the Taliban from Rallying, but it is a standard COIN tactic in FitL (and to a lesser extent in AA and CL too).

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.