Warriors of God» Forums » Rules

Subject: How many gunners per side? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the 3 area + 1 gunner per round per eligable area restricions; but there are only 4 gunner troops in the game, right? Does this mean that one side can recruit all of them and leave his opponent without gunners?
It doesn't make much sense to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.
The gunners, knights, longbowmen, and mercenaries are limited.
First in best dressed.
The grunts (infantry) are unlimited.

PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adalbert wrote:
I know the 3 area + 1 gunner per round per eligable area restricions; but there are only 4 gunner troops in the game, right? Does this mean that one side can recruit all of them and leave his opponent without gunners?
It doesn't make much sense to me...

In reality, one side (usually the French) will be defending its soil from invading English; if the French player can control enough areas for long enough he will amass enough VPs to win. So the English will be the ones recruiting gunners, because the French can often just declare siege and sit it out. Of course, it might make sense for the French to recruit those gunners, not to besiege the English but to reduce their besieging capabilities.

(Note: in the Hundred Years' War, this is pretty much what happened. The English won most of the pitched battles, but just as often found themselves facing a walled city or fortress with the French inside taunting them....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people house rule it so each side can only recruit two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
KillerB wrote:
Some people house rule it so each side can only recruit two.

Can you capture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our house rule: add 1 extra gunner piece from the extra counters provided, and restrict recruitment to 3 gunners total per side.

The reason for this rule is to reduce the silliness of gaming the counter limit (i.e., the French recruit all the gunners and leave them in Burgundy forever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, we don't play that you can capture them. But I like Dan R.'s house rule. We'll have to try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Our house rule: add 1 extra gunner piece from the extra counters provided, and restrict recruitment to 3 gunners total per side.

We actually came up with the same idea in our last game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.